The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 7, 2010, 01:42 AM   #1
truth_seeker

Which companies give out lifetime warranties?

I just got a Walther P99 and Browning Buckmark, and let me just say that I was disappointed when I saw that Walther only honored a year warranty on it, and I'm not sure if they do that to all their other models. I mean, it's one of the reasons I avoided Beretta, specifically the 92 and PX4 Storm, because they only offer limited warranties, but the sad part is, that they offer 2 years tops. I thought Walther would have a lifetime warranty because it's German, because the HK has lifetime warranties that I like, and even the Glock, which I do not really plan on adding to my collection has great customer service and lifetime warranties that makes me have second thoughts on not getting them.

I'm just a little mad and afraid that the P99 will fail in like 5 years(and yeah all firearms break down in time), but I hope it's not close to over a year or two. Cause P99s aren't too cheap, and I don't feel like getting another one or taking it to a gunsmith to fix it(hopefully there is one in CA) for maybe 3/8 the price of a new P99 to have it diagnosed and fixed, etc.

But I just had to get the Walther P99 because I love the ergonomics, and the mag release location that reminded me of the USP. I prefer to use my forefingers without re-adjusting my grip since I don't have big hands, so the closer to the trigger guard the mag release is, the better. They don't have to be on it however like the Springfield 1911s, as long as they're easy to push down unlike my CZ 82.

Well anyway, I'm off on a rant here. But what other companies honor their warranties for a lifetime no matter how old or what model their firearms are? I heard even S&W sent some parts for a guys 4506. I was thinking about getting a Browning MkIII or CZ 75 in case my P99 doesn't last if they have lifetime warranties. The ones off the top of my head that I like are:

S&W
Glock
Springfield(I heard a guy was sent a new firearm even! 1911 GI I think)
H&K
Ruger(?)
Kimber
Colt(I've heard some bad experiences though)
Hi-Point

Last edited by truth_seeker; November 7, 2010 at 02:05 AM.
Old November 7, 2010, 02:13 AM   #2
HoraceHogsnort

I think Taurus does. But then again, their CS is questionable.
Old November 7, 2010, 07:32 AM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Ruger doesn't actually even offer any warranty much less a lifetime warranty.

Taurus does offer a lifetime warranty.

Kinda interesting huh? Ruger doesn't offer a warranty but stands behind their product. Taurus does but can be pretty hit or miss with customer service behind their warranty.

I wouldn't get too worked up over the warranty if you buy a well made gun from a good company.

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; November 7, 2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old November 7, 2010, 07:53 AM   #4
Wag

Every gun is going to need professional service after enough rounds have gone through it.

I've had a couple of little springs break on my P220 but its easy enough to replace such things. I hesitate to ship anything to a manufacturer in any case, no matter what. At the very most, I'd take it to a local smithy.

--Wag--
Old November 7, 2010, 07:59 AM   #5
carguychris

Kel-Tec offers a lifetime warranty and I've heard all sorts of glowing reviews about their customer service.

S&W, like Ruger, has a reputation for repairing customers' firearms for free or for a nominal charge, even if the customer was not the original buyer and the gun therefore isn't technically covered by their "Lifetime Service Policy" (which I understand is slightly different legally than a "warranty", although I don't understand the difference). They're even known to send replacement gift certificates if the gun isn't repairable.
Old November 7, 2010, 09:18 AM   #6
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Taurus does claim lifetime warranty, but may not necessarily on their older model guns, IIRC. Quite awhile back, there was a discussion of a member sending his old Taurus back and gave him an invoice to repair it. Was it a one time deal? Was the gun abused? I don't know. If you buy a newer made one, I'm sure the warranty applies (on paper anyway).

Les Baer doesn't offer any warranty per se. But if NO ONE else has messed with the gun, they will repair it for free no matter how old it is.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old November 7, 2010, 09:36 AM   #7
MTT TL

HiPoint has a life time warranty but if you get one and shoot it a lot plan on using the warranty often.

Henry Repeating Arms has a life time warranty but I have never dealt with their CS.

There are several other small gun makers that many people have never heard of with life time warranties also (Like Kilimanjaro)

Many gun makers (like Kimber for example) don't have a life time warranty but might still support you for free anyway. I have had them send me new parts for free for two guns that I bought used that were not fully operational.

Edit: I just realized that I mentioned Kilimanjaro and HiPoint in the same post and that the world did not end. Still the gun gods are likely angry. I should go shooting first thing tomorrow to appease them.

Last edited by MTT TL; November 7, 2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old November 7, 2010, 09:51 AM   #8
Patrice

Hhmmm....Good question. I'm wondering though, which companies honor their lifetime-warranty claims?--Patrice
Old November 7, 2010, 10:02 AM   #9
bluetopper

Hi Point has the best warranty and customer service in the gun industry........period.

I USED to own three of them.
Old November 7, 2010, 10:05 AM   #10
big_bad_kitty

I sell both SCCY and Springfields. Both honor their warranties and will pay return postage at a minimum. I have used Hi_Point warranty, paid postage to them and they included an extra magazine for my trouble when it was returned. Never had to use either SCCY's or SA's warranty but have heard good things about both!
Old November 7, 2010, 10:38 AM   #11
Wildalaska

Best handgun factory customer service: Ruger Colt S&W DW CZ SIG FA

Decent: NAA, Browning

Mediocre: Taurus (and ya need it a lot), Bersa (although hardly anyone in Alaska owns one) HK and Beretta

Worst: Kimber, Para ord. Total suckiness

In my 15 years of doing this stuff by the way, I have never seen an FA break so my experience with them is limited to modifications. I have only rarely (maybe once to 3x per year) needed to use Colt or CZ or DW. We send a good amount of stuff to Ruger and Smith, very responsive. We have a direct pipeline to taurus

WildviewfromthetrenchesAlaska ™©2002-2010
Old November 7, 2010, 10:41 AM   #12
Jimmy10mm

Good to hear that so many companies are CS oriented. I believe Kahr is also and I've had good personal experience with Sig.
Old November 7, 2010, 03:43 PM   #13
HKFan9

Kahr and Glock are both good as well to add to the list.

Taurus might come with a lifetime warranty but I'll put it to you this way. A guy who works with me at the gun shop, bought a Taurus just to mess around with, it went to the factory 3 times, they still never made it right, so he sold it.
Old November 7, 2010, 04:00 PM   #14
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Ruger doesn't actually even offer any warranty much less a lifetime warranty.
Some of the best service on the planet comes from the company that tells you they are not required by law to offer one (and leaves you wondering, "What the hell does that mean?").
Old November 7, 2010, 04:03 PM   #15
therealdeal

taurus does as before mentioned. also lets not forget good 'ol american manufactured henry rifles. they are lifetime and all that you have to do is provide the weapon. you can register it online with the serial# but this isnt required. if its a henry, they will fix it. ironic they're in NJ

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old November 7, 2010, 04:04 PM   #16
madmag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreyzhorse
Ruger doesn't offer a warranty but stands behind their product.
That's my experience. For all practical purposes they have a lifetime warranty. They just fix anything you ask and provide efficient service.

My experience with Smith has also been outstanding.

Still waiting for my Glock to fail so I can check out their service.

Anyway, lifetime is just a slogan. Any company is no better than what they actually stand behind.
Old November 7, 2010, 05:25 PM   #17
Deja vu

Taurus does, that said there CS is pretty crappy

my Taurus Judge that I bought would not lock in to single action, I thought this would be an easy fix. I sent it back the Taurus and they took 3 months to work on it and in the end sent me a totally new gun.
Old November 7, 2010, 06:19 PM   #18
Zathras

the funny thing to me is warranties are a double edged sword...makes me think."if they offer a lifetime warranty..then it must be needed"..that said, all my new guns pretty much have lifetime warranties , as they are smiths, colts, or springfields..even my cobra derringer comes with a lifetime warranty...
Old November 7, 2010, 06:57 PM   #19
oneounceload

Definitive warranties expose the company to possible legal ramifications down the road, one reason that Ruger does not offer one, but stands behind their products...(well to some degree, my experience notwithstanding)..............
Old November 7, 2010, 07:23 PM   #20
gwnorth

As far as Ruger goes, if you read their web site, they acknowledge that they are not required by law to give you a written warranty. Since they do not approve of the regulations that would be in effect if they were to provide a written warranty, they choose not to include one.

They fully acknowledge that they are duty bound to live by the individual State's laws on warranty requirements, and basically, that they will service what they sell, period.

(as per their Service FAQ and the manual that comes with every new Ruger firearm).
Old November 7, 2010, 08:03 PM   #21
xanth

Isn't the glock warrenty just a year, but the same type of customer service as ruger, send it to them and they will fix it?
Old November 8, 2010, 03:12 AM   #22
nefprotector

Most quality firearms will last you your lifetime and your son or daugthers lifetime as well. My Rugers dont have a Warranty. But Im not worried Because I know Ruger quality.
Old November 8, 2010, 03:18 AM   #23
nefprotector

"Taurus might come with a lifetime warranty but I'll put it to you this way. A guy who works with me at the gun shop, bought a Taurus just to mess around with, it went to the factory 3 times, they still never made it right"

Ummm, This is the reason most guns are crap. Because people "Mess around with them" and screw things up.

Never had a problem with Taurus that I couldnt handle myself 15 years and still going strong.
Old November 8, 2010, 08:14 AM   #24
WESHOOT2

EAA

I have no idea what their warranty policy is (nor, frankly, do I care), but I had a recent this-year experience with their actual service for two of my much-loved Witnesses.

Admitturdly, their vocal service wasn't all warm and fuzzy, but the work done was exceptional. Absolutely stellar, more in line what I would anticipate from a professional custom pistolsmith.
Both guns were returned to me in unbelievable condition.
Both were no longer covered by their warranty, having already been modified.
The cost was $160 total for both.

To me, the MOST important thing is the QUALITY OF REPAIR. Even if it costs a few bucks.....I mean, that's what I want when I ship off a pistol, ay?
Old November 8, 2010, 02:12 PM   #25
CajunBass

The warranty on a gun is right behind what color the box is on my list of factors when I'm looking at a gun. It simply isn't a factor. Maybe I've been lucky but I've never bought a bad gun.

I wouldn't let the warranty or lack of one, keep me from getting something I want.
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; November 8, 2010 at 02:18 PM.
Closed Thread