Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 14, 2012, 09:16 AM   #701
baccusboy

Don't know if this is a good price, but came across this:

http://www.sgammo.com/product/federa...oft-point-ammo
Old March 19, 2012, 02:29 AM   #702
FrankenMauser

Just a friendly reminder:

Spread the word about how much you like the .327 Federal.

I haven't seen much lately, and still want the .327 to take over the world.
Old June 19, 2012, 07:19 AM   #703
Low Friction

Starline 327 Brass!!!

Am I seeing things? Starline now has 327 brass.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/produc...7-Federal-Mag/
Old June 19, 2012, 07:29 AM   #704
Gdawgs

All right! This thread is back from the dead again. I still want one. The local gun store has a blackhawk that keeps calling me everytime I walk in. And I'm still waiting to see if Ruger is going to chamber that new SP101 in 327. If they do, I may have to make the plunge.
Old June 19, 2012, 09:35 AM   #705
pete2

I would have liked a Single Six w/ birdshead grip and 3" bbl. They never made it. I'd take it in 32 H&R or 327 mag.
Old June 19, 2012, 12:48 PM   #706
Sevens

FrankenMauser posted about the Starline .327 Federal brass in our .327 handloading thread in the H&R area.

I have a theory -- it was driven entirely by Buffalo Bore, who debuted .327 Federal earlier this year. I'm betting that Buffalo Bore went to Starline and asked them to produce it, and the order was big enough to finally push those guys to make the brass.

Buffalo Bore has used Starline brass in the past...though the tiny picture on the Buffalo Bore site shows a Federal case.
Old June 19, 2012, 02:26 PM   #707
Low Friction

Just ordered 500 pieces from Starline. They are back ordered until 9-14-12. Glad we have a second source to help fill the gap!

Last edited by Low Friction; June 19, 2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old June 19, 2012, 04:55 PM   #708
FrankenMauser

I never saw a precise figure, but they were reported to have quite a bit of the brass in stock. It must have moved pretty fast.
Old June 20, 2012, 03:40 AM   #709
Sevens

Maybe I'm a hopeless romantic or stupidly optimistic...

But Starline won't make a damn thing UNLESS they elect to make the stuff -- and I'll have to assume that they go GIGUNDO BIG when they make that decision. Seems like anyone producing such a product that would put the tooling and time in to making it...would run off a bleepload of it. Otherwise, what's the point?

For them to debut the stuff... and already be defaulting to a back order, well, here's the optimist part-- maybe someone out there will get the damn message that somebody wants .327 Federal Magnum.

Maybe the ammo makers, maybe the component bullet makers, maybe the gun manufacturers will get wind of it.
Old June 20, 2012, 07:28 AM   #710
gak

Pete2 said:
" I would have liked a Single Six w/ birdshead grip and 3" bbl. They never made it. I'd take it in 32 H&R or 327 mag."

Yes they did--in .32 H&R quite recently with a Talo (?) special (limited) John Wayne edition. I believe birdshead 3.75". Close enough?
...Or, failing that, cut down one of the relatively common 4.62" birdshead .32s.
Glad to see the ol' megathread alive again!
Old June 20, 2012, 11:30 AM   #711
coldbeer

"The great Obama-induced ammo shortage of 2008-2009 sure didn't help either" - Falcon62

Obama didn't cause the ammo shortage of 08-09. Paranoid gun owners did and their going to do it again if he gets re-elected.
Old June 20, 2012, 11:44 AM   #712
Low Friction

"Obama didn't cause the ammo shortage of 08-09. Paranoid gun owners did and their going to do it again if he gets re-elected. "

I agree! But where is all the excess ammo and components going? I would think the hoarding would slow eventually...

Last edited by Low Friction; June 20, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old December 23, 2012, 05:10 PM   #713
Sevens

I will not let this thread die like some in the industry wish the .327 Federal Magnum would do!

It's been mentioned here & there that Ruger has ceased production of the .327 Federal chambering of the SP-101 revolver. Was first mentioned in a thread, then a link to another discussion forum showed copied txt from an e-mail from Ruger

Quote:
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:05 PM
Subject: Ruger Online Customer Support Response

> Dear xxx xxxx,
> Thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.
> This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 10/24/2012

> Comment / question:
> Is Ruger discontinuing the SP101 in the 327 Fed Mag?
> Sincerely,
> xxxxx xxxx
>
> Response:
> That model has been discontinued for the time being.
>
> If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:
> Sincerely,
> Ruger Firearms
Link for that original post, if you so desire:
http://rugerforum.net/ammo-dump/6323...y-regrets.html

With that said, I visited the Ruger website a moment ago and it shows all three of the 327 Federal revolvers on the site. However, it does NOT have a clickable "ORDER NOW" link for either the SP-101 or the Stainless Blackhawk...but it does still show a clickable link for ordering a GP-100 chambered in .327 Federal.

Back when I bought my .30 Carbine Blackhawk, IIRC, Ruger wasn't making THOSE either and depending on who you ask, Ruger has suspended the production of the .30 Carbine Blackhawk a number of times since first cataloging it. Can't argue...how many .30 Carbine Blackhawk revolvers do we think Ruger is actually selling?! (only to goofballs like me...and you goofs, too)

So I wonder if Ruger is merely "suspending" the .327 Federal revolvers simply because the demand is not there. Not necessarily CEASING production of them for the rest of time.

I suppose we could argue that they are one in the same. Seems odd that Ruger has the GP-100 still in production (at least according to the website) while the others are shelved.

In any case, I sent Ruger an e-mail myself. They've got a fantastic reputation for candid and quick answers to questions submitted via the website. I'll report back.

In the mean time, I'm soon to be range testing some new handloads with the "even Alliant has no clue how to use the stuff" Power Pro MP-300 powder. Sorry, no chrono numbers until spring.
Old December 23, 2012, 05:30 PM   #714
Low Friction

At least Starline is still taking orders for 327 brass. I have a box of 1k tucked away with my reloading supplies.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-...--Federal-Mag/

Perhaps Ruger has an optimal 327 design on the way. A sweet single six platform. We can only hope.
Old December 23, 2012, 07:01 PM   #715
FrankenMauser

After running into the discontinuation rumors, myself, I found the same thing you did:
SP-101 and Blackhawk showing up on the website, but not looking like an active product.

I didn't contact Ruger, though. I contacted Davidson's (Gallery of Guns). As a premier (the primary?) Ruger distributor, I figured they'd have the best answer I could get. Their response, in my words:
The .327 Blackhawk and .327 SP-101 are no longer orderable or in active production, and any that may be received in the following months (from backorders) have already been spoken for by dealers.
The GP-100 is still available, but may only be due to an over-supply on Ruger's end.
(Yea... it wasn't the most popular option - even if it is the best of the bunch.)

Just a side not:
The more I shoot the GP-100, my Super Blackhawk, and Cornbush's .45 Colt Blackhawk... the more the .327 Blackhawk feels like a boat anchor.
It's a blast to shoot; but a heavy beast.
Old December 23, 2012, 07:49 PM   #716
Sevens

Haha...Imagine your Blackhawk had a LONGER barrel.
Now, take two shots away and add meat to the cylinder. Meat -- and weight.

Now you've got a .30 Carbine Blackhawk.

If yours is an anchor, it won't hold back the same size barge as my .30 Carb B'Hawk will!
Old December 23, 2012, 10:55 PM   #717
Billy Shears

Been down the .327 road for a while now, both shooting and reloading. It just wasn't all I had hoped it would be. Sold my SP-101 and went back to .357 instead. At this point only a Single Six would interest me in picking up the caliber again. Just seems to me that this is what Ruger should have done four years ago and the fact they haven't yet either means there's no market interest other than a few here on the forums or Ruger is just tired of backing the caliber. I'd love a .327 Single Six more than just about anything, but not enough to pay for a Bowen conversion.
Old December 24, 2012, 04:04 AM   #718
FrankenMauser

That's too bad threedogdad.
Fortunately, I'm still diggin' it.
Old December 25, 2012, 11:11 PM   #719
johnwilliamson062

A sungle-six would draw my eye. Not sure it would make my list, but I would at least check it out.
Old December 26, 2012, 06:12 PM   #720
RJM

I own a Ruger sp101 and a blackhawk in .327 federal magnum and just love them both. I have thought about selling the blackhawk just to make room for something concealable but the gun is so well made and shoots just great that I quickly change my mind. My opinion is that this round really shines in the blackhawk for hunting coyotes, which are a pest by me.

The sp101 coupled with the 6 rounds of .327 really make a great, balanced revolver. I love it and often carry it concealed. Great gun.

I love shooting .32 s&w long wadcutters out of the sp101 too. It makes a great day at the range.
Old December 31, 2012, 05:21 PM   #721
Sevens

Quote:
In any case, I sent Ruger an e-mail myself. They've got a fantastic reputation for candid and quick answers to questions submitted via the website. I'll report back.
Okay, maybe I don't need to fully rescind that, but my experience was not supportive of it, anyway.

On 23/Dec/12, I sent this:
Long time Ruger owner/lover, and currently own seven Ruger handguns.
My concern is with the future of Ruger's production and backing of the .327 Federal Magnum cartridge.
According to the website, the Ruger GP-100 is -STILL- available in .327 Federal while the SP-101 and the stainless Blackhawk are no longer offered.
Is this a temporary unavailability, or have these models been scrapped in .327 Federal?
Concerned! Please don't give up on this cartridge.

Much thanks.

The reply was dated today, 31/Dec/12:
Quote:
This caliber has been discontinued for the time being only.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:
Old January 1, 2013, 12:02 AM   #722
JohnKSa
Staff

I suspect they're doing everything they can to turn out their high-volume sellers to meet the overwhelming demand. I think that when things calm down, they'll get back to making the slower sellers again.
Old January 1, 2013, 12:27 AM   #723
Sevens

That's sounds entirely rational and makes good sense. Seems like it'd be easy for THEM to simply say that.

I think it sucked out loud when Ruger gave up (easily!) on the .480 Ruger. From a business standpoint, it was a monetary decision I suppose. But for their customers who bought them when they DID make & advertise them, it hurt badly. They ceased production on their own gun chambering their round, and it let the round flounder and die.

It's a kick in the yamsack to the people who jumped on the round -- that THEY marketed in the first place.

Now I don't run any business, let alone a gargantuan and legendary gun maker, and I admit up-front that I don't know the minute details involved...but c'mon. They already make Redhawk revolvers. They obviously have the tooling to drill .475" holes in them and the stamps to scratch ".480 Ruger" on the side. Why kill off production? Even if folks aren't stepping on each other to order them, can't they simply offer them if/when people want them?

I'm drifting in to another topic, but the idea is the same. I'm going to be angry/annoyed if they kill off the .327 entirely. It won't affect me immediately, as I roll all my own, but it isn't going to help anyone who likes the round and has purchased a .327 chambered gun. Specifically, those who have bought Ruger guns in .327.
Old January 3, 2013, 08:18 PM   #724
Glenn E. Meyer

Well, I took my SS 632 comped gun to the LGS today. I'm having a fiber optic front and a white U set of sights put on it. Old eyes.

The guys checking it in and the smith all thought it was a beautiful neat gun.

The standard sights - don't work for me. Sigh.

They had a blued or black one for sale at 839 bucks. I think they've been on sale cheaper.

I got a 432 for $330 when they were discontinued. I like those 32s. Great J frames.
Old January 3, 2013, 08:43 PM   #725
gak

Glenn E. Meyer said
"I got a 432 for $330 when they were discontinued. I like those 32s. Great J frames."

Glenn you have good taste! Love my 431 (hammer'd version of your 432). A lil' bit if scandium heaven.

Sevens, +1 to all you said. The .327 "situation" has been inexplicably mismanaged and mis-or-undermarketed from the start, to no fault of the cartridge itself. If I were Ruger's CEO, I'd been on the horn weekly with "partners" Federal, Starline, etc, saying "Gentlemen/ladies - get your act together - NOW!" Collectively I would have introduced the ..327 ammo UNDER normal market rates, say, for "regular" .357--or inbeteeen .38 and .357--to get it started...then maybe inch it up over time if/as necessary to profitability but only once the cartridge and guns so-chambered had been solidly established. . Additionally I would have insured, to the extent remotely feasible, that all components would be open-market asap with little restriction. It confounds me how the round has been handled. Then again, I'm still miffed about mismanagement, mis/undermarketing and how little support the wonderful .32 H&R got over the past thirty years!

Last edited by gak; January 3, 2013 at 08:49 PM.