The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 15, 2008, 01:42 PM   #1
shepherddogs

Game Cameras

I've never used a game camera and I am wondering how they work. I see they have flashes on them but doesn't that scare the game? Do the flashes only work below a certain light level? Could you defeat the flash. Also I see some use infrared flashes. I have coyotes around my house and would like to get photos and times but don't want to alert them to danger until its too late. I'm really not interested in where they are at night because I won't be hunting then. Any help would be appreciated.
Old March 15, 2008, 05:35 PM   #2
nodlenor

I have 2 game cameras. They are from different manufactures. The ones I have use a flash but it can be turned off. They do not flash when there is enough light for taking pictures. I haven't had any experience with the infared types. I"ve used mine to take pictures of deer and they don't seem to spook as I've had multiple pics of the same deer many times. Don't know about coyotes, never got a picture of one, but I've been thinking about baiting for them to see what I can get.
Old March 15, 2008, 06:43 PM   #3
shepherddogs

My dogs often leave food in their bowls and I think the yotes come up to the house to get it. Sometimes one of my dogs gets very excited and sort of struts up the driveway towards the brushwoods across the road. I know he is interacting with some other animal but I never see it. It's like he has his hackles up but his tail is wagging.
Old March 16, 2008, 03:00 PM   #4
CamoCop

i've had some animals react to flashes and some just stand there and pose. it seems to be hit or miss, i did just buy a game camera with infared to try it out.