The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 14, 2006, 02:05 PM   #26
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
According to the instructor or my most recent CCW class, that fear (in Texas) is totally unfounded from a practical standpoint because in all the years he's been teaching CCW classes and therefore constantly in contact with LEO's, he told us that he has never yet heard of even a single case where a CCW carrier was cited for an unintentional "flash".
I'm not talking about losing your CHL--I agree that the odds of that are slim to none for printing or even for an inadvertant flash.

I'm talking about having your boss tell you that if you carry to work again you're fired. Or maybe just getting fired right off the bat.
Quote:
In the end, it seems that the majority of people who know about these things and have the experience to back it up are virtually unanimous about the idea that the best concealment comes from using very high quality IWB holsters along with a proper gun belt and not trying to carry an overly huge or heavy weapon.
Yup, shoulder holsters have a "cool factor" that appeals to many, but they're only practical in very limited circumstances. Professionals who carry with a shoulder holster usually tailor (literally) their wardrobe to fit their carry choice.
Old October 14, 2006, 03:13 PM   #27
smince

I carry IWB with a Colt Defender and carry a spare mag and a Surefire on the off side. Last year I was shopping for a new truck and got "made" by the salesman. He was a retired cop so I didn't feel bad about it. He also told me he didn't blame a person for carrying.

Once in my early carry days I had a black nylon shoulder holster and was carrying my BHP in it. While in a restaurant, several men kept looking in our direction. We didn't know why, until we were getting in my friends van. I had on a white windbreaker and if the light was just right he told me he could see the outline of the holster through it.

Just because it is covered doesn't mean it is concealed.
Old October 14, 2006, 03:38 PM   #28
springmom

Shoulder holsters are often suggested for women who need to wear dresses, since pretty much any other on the body holster type is then out of the question. Women's Outlook. the NRA magazine for women shooters, had a big spread on this several months ago. For women, this can be a very good solution. But it requires two things: a good holster with minimal bulk, and a scarf or something to ensure that the holster doesn't peek up over the edge of the collar of her jacket.

ISTM that this is one mode of carry when being willing to spend some real bucks on a holster that really, really fits you is important. I don't wear dresses often enough to have gotten one yet, but I'm thinking about it for winter wear.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old October 16, 2006, 12:37 PM   #29
Glenn E. Meyer

I've also heard from a CHL instructor that is in their organization that they never had a report of someone getting in trouble for printing.

Another problem with shoulder holsters is that if you are real close up, the reach across your chest is very, very easy to block by your opponent. Most trainers will instruct you in active retention and fighting positions for close up that would seem to be impossible with a shoulder holster.

Being caught does give you a touch of a thrill though (as long it doesn't get you in the paddy wagon and off to the slammer). The cute girl said - oh, wow!
Old October 25, 2006, 09:20 PM   #30
snolden

shoulder holster works very well for a right handed person in a vehicle.

Aside from that I have no use for a shoulder holster and I did in fact try one for a couple months.

As soon as I bought my first quality leather IWB holster, I put my shoulder holster in my vehicle for road trip only use.
Old November 18, 2006, 05:35 PM   #31
Daily Fred

We all probably get "made" a lot more than we think.
Old November 18, 2006, 08:53 PM   #32
JohnKSa
Staff

With a good carry scheme and some discretion, it's possible to never get made. On the other hand, some people apparently want others to know that they're carrying and evidence that fact by telling folks.

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCH...pic.php?t=1819
Old November 19, 2006, 07:23 PM   #33
Glenn E. Meyer

I saw today for the first time - a pair of jeans with a clear outline of a small gun worn into the back pocket.

It is also my opinion, flame suit on, that some fanny pack wearers like the idea that knowledgeable folks will spot them.

Am I without sin - does the Spyderco and Surefire peaking out on the pockets give a clue - perhaps. However, the other day the lights went out in an interior big room at work and the Surefire was sure useful. I don't know how many folks associated such gear with CHL unless they are tacticool like me!
Old November 19, 2006, 07:47 PM   #34
smince

If I see a Surefire or a quality knife clipped to the pocket, I will give them a little more than a cursory glance. But I also realize that most with this type of equipment will be "good guys"
Old November 19, 2006, 10:58 PM   #35
njtrigger

Ive got a way to conceal a weapon without anyone knowing...

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterT3.asp...&CatalogID=382

I dont think anyone will know if your carrying it disguised as a planner.
Old November 20, 2006, 12:19 AM   #36
45RackerTracker

Njt

Too hard to whip out when needed, too easy to snatch from you if distracted.
Old November 20, 2006, 08:45 PM   #37
Daily Fred

"Planner Carry"

I made one of those by reconfiguring one of those little cheapie toolkits that looks like a planner. It's nifty but not practical, as 45 says, too hard to draw and too easy to swipe.
Old November 20, 2006, 09:28 PM   #38
Big Don

What a great excuse to buy more aloha shirts!

And I've got a bunch of 'em. As noted by a previous poster, I buy my clothes with CCW in mind and carry my compact Colt .45 in a Bianchi IWB that fits very well. I purchased a Galco SOB for my 9MM years ago and liked for walking around but found it pretty useless while driving or sitting in tight quarters. I'm spending more time on the road now and am thinking about a shoulder rig for the .45.
I'm a throw-back in that I still have a fanny pack for those occasions where other methods just won't work. It's smaller than most and I quite often sling it over my shoulder with the pouch in front. Most of the time, I don't give a rip and wear with pouch in front and have never had any hassles. Not my preferred method of CCW but it will do.
Question: Has anyone ever heard this little bit of folk lore: carrying a fanny pack in reasonable cause for LEO's to stop and ask you "What's in the bag, Goose?"
Old November 20, 2006, 09:43 PM   #39
UniversalFrost

If you are a guy and carrying a fanny pack I am sure it will bring the attention of people around you. Personnaly, when i can't carry IWB or OWB I use a nice little ankle holster with a colt detective snubby 38spl. Only got made out once with this ankle rig when i leaned over to tie a shoe lace on teh other leg and the pants leg came up a bit and exposed the bottom half of the holster. Luckily it was in an office room at work and 99% of the guys are nra members and 100% are prior service lifetime VFW members. Boss keeps telling me I need to switch to a .357 snubby instead of my .38spl.

As far as a shoulder holster, I only wore them when I was in the service. Many times I wore a drop leg thigh holster. Shoulder holster are hard to conceal unless you have very baggy clothing or wear a large coat all the time. Shoulder holsters are great for open carry though (which is legal and encouraged in my great state of SD) ..

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old November 21, 2006, 02:11 PM   #40
Glenn E. Meyer

Jan Libourel of Handguns and now Gun World told the tale of a Washington State CCW idiot who went to California wearing his fanny pack - despite advice not to. The local cops busted him, laughed when he produced the permit and arrested him.
Old November 21, 2006, 02:54 PM   #41
Big Don

One has to wonder if this guy really had the smarts to warrant a CCW in the first place. He didn't bother to check on the rules of the state he was visiting, didn't listen to good advice and then flaunted his firearm (essentially) by wearing the fanny pack. Duh!
Old November 21, 2006, 08:38 PM   #42
Daily Fred

Speaking of ankle holsters

How does one draw from an ankle holster?
Old November 21, 2006, 08:50 PM   #43
Thedude

I found the problem with the IWB carry is that getting in and out of your vehicle...I was carrying, and had to take it out of my back waist everytime I got in my car, and put it back in every time I got out...It was kind of an akward move. Does anyone else have this problem?
Old November 21, 2006, 09:41 PM   #44
smince

Quote:
How does one draw from an ankle holster?
http://www.politesociety.com/ankle.htm
Quote:
For right hand draw, holster is worn inside left ankle. To draw, drop to the knee of the
non gun leg while grabbing pants leg above the opposite knee to expose the gun for presentation at the same time giving you a stable, low profile shooting stance. Ankle holsters are also great for driving.
Old November 22, 2006, 03:20 PM   #45
Dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedude

I found the problem with the IWB carry is that getting in and out of your vehicle...I was carrying, and had to take it out of my back waist everytime I got in my car, and put it back in every time I got out...It was kind of an akward move. Does anyone else have this problem?
IWB position varies depending on body size and stature, I being a slightly taller than average, portly fellow, tend to carry a full-sized semiauto at 3 o'clock to half past 3 in FBI-canted IWB holsters. The tilt of the butt forward keeps the heel of the grip far enough forward that my car seats' kidney bolsters (I drive VWs) do not push the grip when I sit down. If you drive a car with "race" seats or aggressive bolsters (i.e., many German cars), such as a Golf R32, Civic Si, et c., it might not work so well. You might just need to play around with your rig's positioning. If you have a SOB IWB, then you're SOL.