The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 26, 2000, 09:22 PM   #1
El Rojo

I currently have about two to three pounds of 4895 and just bought 8# of 4064. I like the IMR, but I don't like the powder spillage out of the Dillon RL 550B powder measure.

What do you guys/gals think of the Winchester 748 and/or 760 for .308 Winchester? I am assuming that the Winchester Ball powder is going to charge much nicer in the Dillon, but am I going to sacrifice accuracy? Should I just break down and just measure all of my IMR loads? Thanks all.
Old May 27, 2000, 07:41 AM   #2
Patrick Graham

I used 748 for a while in 308. Accuracy was ok. IMR4064 is more accurate for me out of my Remington. I use 4064 and 4895 in my Dillion RL550B, I don't have any problems. The new method of returning the powder bar seems to jiggle the powder assembly enough to keep powder from sticking although I never had a problem with the old spring method. I have a habit of tapping the powder assembly on the up and down stroke, a trick I learned with my old Lyman powder measure. Another trick is to only fill the powder assembly half way and try to keep it half full.
Old May 27, 2000, 05:52 PM   #3
swampyMO

Guys,

In keeping the measures hopper half full....

Another trick for getting consistent throws (which I also learned using an old Lyman 55 measure) is to find a small-medium size kitchen funnel with about a 3/8 to 1/2 inch opening at the bottom of the spout. Set this into the top of your empty powder measure (cap is off, obviously). Note that the spout end should be about 2 inches up from the bottom of the measures hopper. Pour in whatever powder you are using until the funnel cone is about 3/4 full. The funnel now acts as a baffle that keeps the powder in the measures hopper at a constant level. By just refilling the funnel cone peridically, I get rock solid throw results with just about all powders, including IMR's.

Just my thoughts guys....

Swampy