The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 20, 2006, 02:14 PM   #1
NCHornet

Tape,Stipling, AGrip or???

I am new to the forum but not new to guns. I carry a Glock23 on a daily basis. I have the Hogue slip on grip and have gone through two of them. They last about a year before they split. I have seen some smiths that do a grip reduction with stipling, I don't really want the reduction as I like the way my Glock feels in my hand, but the stipling looks interesting. I am also looking at a product called the AGrip. I live in a small town so have not felt a stipled gun or one with the Agrip so I am asking your advice. The AGrip says it is easily removable and can be repositioned over and over, this doesn't sound to me like a solid base for a grip. The material can't move, it has to form a solid grip between hand and gun. The stipling looks like if it isn't done just right it could be sharp and uncomfortable, might snag on clothing etc... So please give me your best advice and don't say buy another gun. I have lot's of other guns and like carrying the 23 just fine.
Thanks
Old December 20, 2006, 02:27 PM   #2
Ausserordeutlich

While it's true that Agrip can be removed, it WON'T move during use. I cover my Hogue Handalls with Agrip. I love that stuff.
Old December 20, 2006, 03:02 PM   #3
Frenchwrench

you might try the Decal Grip also. Comes in sand texture or rubber. Precut to fit and you only have to put on what and where you like. Peels off without residue. At about $8.00 not a bad setup. Only adds about 1/32nd thickness.
Old December 21, 2006, 06:25 PM   #4
alabaster

hated the decal grip. had it on my USP's a few years back. that sucked. I couldn't get it to stay put, neither could anyone else at the office that tried it. their CSRs got sick of our voices, I assure you.

I'd say my recommendation would be the stippling. Even if you like that standard grip shape, the stippling is soooo nice. IMHO. I'd like to see Glock do that factory. Like Lone Wolf does(DID?).
Old December 21, 2006, 06:54 PM   #5
DonR101395

I use a piece of bicycle inner tube stretched over the grip. $2.00 at wal-mart and I have enough to do about 15 guns.
Old December 22, 2006, 12:59 AM   #6
HSMITH

Try an Agrip, I would be really shocked if you didn't like it.

Stippling is also very very good, but it can dramatically lower resale value on the gun. Stippling is what I use, but I recommend the least invasive process to others.
Old December 22, 2006, 10:18 AM   #7
NCHornet

Smith,
Can I ask who did your stipling? Did you have full reduction or just the stipling. Thanks for the info. Resale is not an issue, I stopped selling guns a long time ago, that way I have no regrets.
Old December 22, 2006, 11:22 AM   #8
secround2

Skateboard tape

I prefer the skateboard tape at the local mall. Tool: white paper, pencil. and a razor.

Empty pistol, shade the pencil at the angle of the grip section around the grip indentations.

Rub your finger print all over the tracing and the print will be on the paper. Transfer the paper to the back of the skateboard tape and then cut your personal a-grip out. Use a little isypropol (alcohol) to clean the surface of where you will affix the grip onto the pistol.

I prefer this material vice the rubber slip-ons and the imperfections of the A-grips sold in the market.

The hogue slip ons are nice, but not snag proof on a quick draw, and they make the grip a little to more bulkier.

The tape configuration works rather well on the my Glock 17, Glock 36 and HK P2000SK. If it is to course in regards to the skateboard tape ? it can be dremeled smoother to your likings.

This tape cost $5.00 at the mall for on yard X 8 inches. Good deal and you can make so many grips.

That is my take on this.

USN
Old December 22, 2006, 12:23 PM   #9
Ausserordeutlich

What are the "imperfections" of the Agrip?
Old December 22, 2006, 10:56 PM   #10
HSMITH

Kevin, I stipple them myself. I don't do the reductions anymore, it really doesn't do me any good, I just want the extra traction.

I don't carry a Glock anymore, and use my Glocks for competition where stippling the grip is not allowed so I have switched over to skateboard tape on most of them. My STI's are in divisions where stippling is allowed and every one is stippled. They are a little harder to stipple than a Glock due to all the glass in the plastic, but it sure works good.

This guy http://stores.sjcguns.com/StoreFront.bok does EXTREMELY nice work if you send it to him. His stippling is as good as I have seen.

Try some tape, find out specifically where you want the extra traction on the grip and where it isn't needed. A full stipple on a carry gun is hard on clothes and can cause some snagging issues, best done in moderation on a carry gun.
Old December 24, 2006, 03:25 PM   #11
NCHornet

Thanks man I appreciate the info. I am actually going to order the Agrip and try it first. Then it will be the stipling.
Merry Christmas to all!
Old December 24, 2006, 10:16 PM   #12
bubbygator

I used to have a S&W-60 with a Barami Hip-grip. That hip-grip plastic is very smooth and slick - I wrapped it with the gauze-like tennis grip-tape. It worked great; didn't catch on cloth, and gave a great geip to the bare hand. When the gripiness gets less due to hand oil/dirt, just re-wrap & you're good to go.