The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 25, 2006, 04:50 PM   #1
Freetacos

Visualization training in addition to physical training

Many professional athletes visualize hitting a homerun, running the fastest time, or making an elusive goal. Of course when self defense situations occur they usually happen in the most unpredictable fashion and all we can go on is our previous training. However, do you think that visualizing oneself as safe before walking down an alleyway, or visualizing oneself as being the ultimate winner should a life threatening encounter occur would give one a predetermined edge.

I remember hearing a story about a Vietnam POW who during his years of imprisonment visualized himself playing golf daily to keep from losing his mind. Eventually when he got out he played an actual game of golf and he did quite well despite having rarely ever played in his life.

It appears that supplementing actual physical training with visualization exercises is an effective method to increase one's chances of reaching a positive outcome.
Old October 25, 2006, 05:05 PM   #2
spacemanspiff

Right now I'm visualizing a ribeye steak and mashed potatos and gravy.
But thats only going to become a reality if i cook it or if i pay someone else to.
Old October 25, 2006, 05:25 PM   #3
Freetacos

Space, did you happen to graduate from Harvard?
Old October 26, 2006, 11:59 PM   #4
Dog Confetti

Supposedly it does help, but not nearly as much as doing...I know if I concentrate on visualizing something too much I can't drive worth a darn...
Old October 27, 2006, 09:38 AM   #5
DesertShooter

Perhaps I'm wrong, but what you're saying isn't a true "visual" situation, it is more like "dreaming" or "day-dreaming". In reality, everyone has "dreams", along with hopes and fears.

If I realize that I'm about to enter a dark alley, my "situational awareness" seems to increase. I don't "visualize" bad guys coming out of the shadows, nor do I "visualize" that nothing will happen if I continue toward that dark alley.

I did a LOT of training on the "FATS" system, which is programmable. It was somewhat realistic, and a great training tool, but limited in that it was a simulation that was projected on a screen, with various "incidents" that could be displayed. It was good for practising observational skills and "situational awareness". As the TRAINER, while operating the "FATS" system for others, it was obvious that the majority EXPECTED something to happen. If a scenario was played out totally "safe", many of the students thought that they had missed something!

I spent 13 months in combat and 31 years as a police officer. While all of the training that I went through was invaluable, there were times that I had "hunches", or "feelings" that something was about to happen. I think most people can "sense" certain things, just like animals....except that humans are limited by their sense of smell, night vision and "learned" behavior. Animals can "learn" certain things, but their "instinctive" senses are much greater.
Old October 27, 2006, 10:41 AM   #6
Hard Ball

It is a valuable technique used in many martial arts.
Old October 27, 2006, 11:03 AM   #7
AmesJainchill

When you're training, that's the time for visualization. Out in the real world, you need to be paying attention to things, not visualizing anything.
Old October 27, 2006, 01:28 PM   #8
Lurper

Tacos,
Your concept is correct but your application is not. Visualization is one of the most important techniques you can use. Read world champion Lanny Basha's book. He did very little live fire, but dry fired and visualized everyday. You visualize because your mind does not know the difference between visualization and reality. You picture perfect draws, perfect shots, everything perfect and you picture it as an accomplished fact. Visualization is more than just closing your eyes for a couple of seconds. You need to be in a certain mental state for it to have full benefit. Usually, it is sitting reclined in a comfortable chair and involves breathing and in effect self-hypnosis. So, trying to do it just before you enter a dark alley would probably have no effect. To apply it effectively in your scenario would be to relax at home, visualize walking down a dark alley. See it in great detail, the sights, sounds, the smells the feelings, everything. Feel yourself in a hightened state of awareness and focused concentration. Picture the events leading up to the confrontation and through it. Make every move perfect, perfect draw, sight picture, trigger pull, everything perfect - just like you are making your own movie and you are the star and hero. Picture it as an already accomplished fact. Like you are reliving it in your mind after the event. Feel the feelings you have before, during and after the encounter. Remember, it is your movie, you can make it any way you want. If you practice this with purpose and religiously, it can have perhaps the greatest impact on your survival. Yes,
it is possible to become a remarkably skilled shooter with very little live fire and lots of visualization. Don't believe those who say otherwise, they have not done it. Talk to someone who has or read Lanny's book.
Old October 28, 2006, 06:23 AM   #9
paknheat

I vizualize me not being anywhere i have to walk down a dark alley.However, when i was wrestling in highschool , we did have a quiet time to practice this. I did find it helpful. I don't belive that trying this as you enter a potential combat/s.d. arena would be useful.