The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 9, 2008, 10:48 AM   #1
Old Doe Shooter

Rechambering .257 Ackley Imp to 25-06

Before I start pestering the pros maybe someone can help me.
I have a Ruger Ultra light that was rechambered from 257 Robt to 257 Ackley by the previous owner. It belonged to the late father of a friend so I bought it. It shoots fine BUT.. frankly, reloading it a pain in the butt as it seems a tad off and splits the case neck and I decided I really don't like it all that much. I'd sell it but then I need to find another special nut-case to take it off my hands and us special guys are few and far between. Now to the ? Can I rechamber that barrel to a .25-06? The magazine is more than long enough and it's handsome little rifle. Or do I have scrap the tube and start over... more than the cost of new rifle...... davee4570 at yahoo etc would be great help and much appreciated. Thank you all.
Old July 9, 2008, 01:35 PM   #2
Scorch

The 257 Roberts AI or 257 AI is an improved cartridge. Body taper is minimal, and that's where the problem arises. The 25-06 has more body taper than the 257 AI, so you cannot simply rechamber it to 25-06. The 257 AI is larger in diameter than the 25-06 at any point along the body except for the case head.

On the bright side, you can find used Ruger barrels pretty easily in any number of chamberings, or you can put an Adams & Bennet barrel on it relatively inexpensively. I recently rebarreled a rifle with an A&B barrel for $150 including chamber/crown/polish/blue.
Old July 12, 2008, 09:10 PM   #3
Phlip

Would an improved 25-06 possibly work?
Old July 13, 2008, 01:31 PM   #4
Scorch

Quote:
Would an improved 25-06 possibly work?
Possibly, but what will you gain? The 257 Roberts AI shoots as fast as the standard 25-06. The 25-06 is already overbore, so you will not gain much velocity by burning a lot more powder. And you stated you wanted to fire factory ammo in this rifle, so you have two net losses. What would you gain?

My recommendation is still the same: easiest solution- find a used Ruger barrel in a chambering you like (many gunsmiths put their take-offs in a pile for project guns or using as barrel vise handles and other such esoteric uses), or get an Adams & Bennett barrel and have it chambered, crowned and blued in any chambering of your choice.

Sudden inspiration: PM WildAlaska here on TFL and ask Ken if he has a Ruger take-off barrel he would be willing to part with for S&H.