The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 14, 2008, 09:09 PM   #1
Keltyke

Snake Eyes Derringer

What's it worth?

Solid brass, white grips, engraved, wooden box, .36 (I think). That's about all I can tell ya. Found one at a pawn shop - $199.

Can anyone tell me more about it?
Old November 15, 2008, 02:09 AM   #2
Hawg

It was made by Classic Arms, most likely as a kit. Years ago they were sold completed but I don't think they are anymore. A used one is worth 35-50 bucks. You can get a new kit from DGW for 127.50
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/advance...ords=snake+eye
Old November 15, 2008, 02:57 AM   #3
fastforty

Yep, $200 is pretty darn steep. As pictured on the box, range is basically across a card table. Might double the distance if you put sights on it. Fun to shoot though The trigger seems to be able to touch off one barrel at a time dry firing (catch the hammers & don't let them peen the nipples) but in live fire the minimal recoil makes both barrels go- only way to shoot one barrel at a time is to only cock one hammer. Again, fun to load & shoot, easy to clean. I have some chrony data around here somewhere, but I wouldn't use it to put a small injured dog down if I had a choice between it & a medium sized stick.
Old November 15, 2008, 09:57 AM   #4
Keltyke

Thanks for the heads up, guys! If I get one, it'll be a NIB kit. The scroll work on this one is nice, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money.
Old November 15, 2008, 10:48 AM   #5
Hawg

It's not. You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.
Old December 5, 2008, 05:01 PM   #6
DrLaw

Well, around here, we don't put lipstick on pigs, though we did have a guy get caught doing strange things to a pig and he also happened to be naked...:barf:

IIRC, the Snake Eyes was also an unrifled barrel gun. So it is a novelty, and a cheap one at that. I'd say to not get it even as a kit.

Save your money and get something useful or of good contruction as opposed to that gun (and some others from the same maker). Go for Uberti, Pietta, Lyman or Pedersoli for some good black powder handguns.

The Doc is out now.
Old December 5, 2008, 05:12 PM   #7
Keltyke

Quote:
IIRC, the Snake Eyes was also an unrifled barrel gun. So it is a novelty, and a cheap one at that. I'd say to not get it even as a kit.
Yea, I figured that. I wanted it for the name. You see, my wife and I are big reptile fans, especially snakes.
Old December 6, 2008, 12:11 AM   #8
DrLaw

Ah, I see. Well, if that is the case, then don't let me put you off it.

The Doc is out now.