The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2013, 05:16 PM   #26
Old 454

I agree about the crimp, I put a heavy roll crimp on my cases.

thank you for the info, I have some PMC SRM primers(Green box) I am going to try. I have not been able to find any CCI or Remington SRM primers.

Just to mention I have loaded some Cast preformance 325 gr with 26Gr. of H110/W296 and had a few squibs also but those were with Wolf SRM primers.
Old June 26, 2013, 08:29 PM   #27
wyobohunter

Max load in Ruger Alaskan 454

I can't say I'll never have a squib. but after 20+ years of hand loading I haven't so far and would be as horrified as 454PB was. Maybe it's a misconception on my part but I get the feeling from some of the posts that's a squib is something that just "happens occasionally". If I'm wrong about that I apologize. If I'm not I think your entire reloading process needs to be rethought. Along with the danger of letting a squib go unnoticed and firing a second cartridge there is this: Large handgun cartridges like the 454 are used (along with hunting) for self protection from big nasty critters. Imagine facing one and having the good fortune to "get the drop" on it only to fire a squib. Yikes.

I don't modify my sizing die but I do use a heavy roll crimp. I've done the same fire five and measure the last cartridge as 454 PB and have found no movement. As an extra precaution I never just fire a few cartridges in a cylinder. Instead I either fire all six or only load the number I intend to fire, thus eliminating the chance of exposing any cartridge to recoil more than five times.
Old June 27, 2013, 11:28 PM   #28
Old 454

For the 454 casull cartage I hand fill the cases with powder, I used 37.2 gr. of W296, I set the bullet a 240 gr. Hornady XTP-Mag on the cantilure, I use a heavy roll grip, I have not had any indexing problems with the cylinder due too bullet creep, bullet stays right where I crimped it.

It just seems that the SRP I have gotten are not ignighting the powder causing a squib.

I used Wolf SRM primers and I had about 5 diffrent squibs on a 325 gr cast preformence Heat treat solid bullet.

I pulled all those loads and used Federal SRM primers, no squibs on the Cast prefomance bullet, but I had one with the hornady bullet.