The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 16, 2008, 08:21 PM   #1
pfch1977

What tactical use is the shotgun slug?

A shotgun slug is great for entertainment purposes...but what tactical use does it serve?
Old March 16, 2008, 08:54 PM   #2
Doc TH

slugs

Not sure what you mean by "entertainment". Are you being facetious?

A slug has immense penetrating power, creates a massive wound channel and is considered an effective round against large bears by the US Forest Service. You can check out penetration on the Box O' Truth website. A capable shooter should be able to group 3-4" at 50 yds with smoothbore barrel and open rifle sights. With Brenneke slugs many can do much better. Specialized slug barrels can do that at 100 yds.

Seems pretty "tactical" to me.
Old March 16, 2008, 09:23 PM   #3
Hard Ball

+1 Doc
Old March 16, 2008, 09:34 PM   #4
pfch1977

Besides large game hunting, what would be the tactical use?
My opinion is the slug has to much penetration. How could it be used by the police or a homeowner? It would penetrate right through the target and bound to hit someone or something else.
Old March 16, 2008, 09:51 PM   #5
jrothWA

As a...

ATTENTION getter!
Old March 16, 2008, 10:41 PM   #6
bt 223

1 oz. of lead going REAL fast. What is it not good for?
Old March 16, 2008, 10:53 PM   #7
chris in va

I believe Aguila makes a short slug shell that would probably work better for HD.
Old March 16, 2008, 11:25 PM   #8
Dwight55

The shotgun slug is the poor man's main battle rifle out to 100 yds, . . . even more in the hands of a competent user with top of the line equipment.

Tactical uses include intentional breaching of the exterior walls of many buildings, . . . breaching the cover of a vehicle's doors, . . . overcoming bg's with body armor/flak jackets.

Given the flimsy construction of the compact pickups, . . . smaller vans and autos, . . . I would bet on my Beretta vs the Ford Ranger as to whether it would stop one or not.

Over penetration, . . . that is page two, . . . efective penetration is page one and it is far more important than page two.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old March 17, 2008, 01:45 AM   #9
BillCA

In tactical use, the shotgun slug serves as the heavy hitter for civilian duties.

A one-ounce rifled slug at 1560 fps = 2375 ft. lbs of energy from an approximately 70-caliber projectile.

A 3/4 ounce Barnes-expander slug from a 3" 12 gauge can deliver up to 2600 foot pounds.

So what would it be used for?
- Vehicle disabling shots
- Hitting occupants inside a vehicle
- Firing at barricaded hostiles (firing thru some barricades)
- Firing through exterior walls (i.e. next to or below windows)
- Door breeching (destroys door lockworks on contact)
- Use against hostiles with body armor (if it doesn't penetrate, it hurts like hell!)
- Firing through walls - sheetrock, plaster, plywood
- Firing through furniture - sofas, beds, dressers, tables

In short, any time you need lots of penetration to reach a hostile target, you can call on the shotgun slug. Even the 20-gauge can deliver 2,000 ft-lbs of energy from a slug.

Using a 12-bore slug against an unarmored person will generally take the starch out of his shorts -- all the way to his socks. Even drug-induced psychos tend to become anchored to the sidewalk when solidly hit with a big slug.

If a Major League pitcher threw a fast-ball into your stomach at home plate... consider that as a .45 ACP hit. When you've recovered and stand up again, being run over by a charging 1800 pound Buffalo is the receiving end of a slug.

Questions?
Old March 17, 2008, 06:21 AM   #10
matthew temkin

For generations the shotgun has been known as the greatest close range close combat weapon ever--bar none.
It can also serve double duty as a sporting tool, be it hunting or trap/skeet.
A decent pump or semi automatic is also sold at a very reasonable price.
Sounds like a winner, even in our modern times.
Old March 17, 2008, 07:50 AM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If a slug bumps into a bone (bone will break) the slug will begin severe deformation thus reducing unaccepted secondary penetrations. 000 buck could easily exit a torso and would result in a bunch of projectiles fliying around.
But nothin says "STOP YOU PUNK!" like a blob of lead!
Brent
Old March 17, 2008, 08:11 AM   #12
Double Naught Spy

A shotgun slug is great for entertainment purposes...but what tactical use does it serve?

You can "precision" shoot with a slug that you can't do with buck or bird shot. That means reducing the risk to bystanders or hostages from stray shot. Now that is entertainment!
Old March 17, 2008, 08:20 AM   #13
EskrimadoR

+1 for BillCA
Old March 17, 2008, 08:44 AM   #14
xrocket

The 12ga. shotgun and 1oz slug is more than just a "poor man's battle rifle" firearm. It is for anyone rich or poor, big or small, male or female and who is willing to practice with it to gain a level of proficiency.

I have a Sig 556 carbine and many other Sig pistols, but given the opportunity, it is my FN TPS 12ga loaded with OO backed up with 1oz. slugs in the last two holes that I reach for first above all others.

It is black as the ace of spades. The cycling sound will give pause to idiots. It will spit amounts of lead and fire beyond belief. It is one mean sob too.

As for "tactical", I think it serves that purpose rather well when all is considered.
Old March 17, 2008, 11:15 AM   #15
TexasSeaRay

+1 to BillCA.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old March 17, 2008, 01:02 PM   #16
Anchorage

I guess for "tactical" you are doing something like raiding an illegal drug factory where there are no innocent people there... It would be nice to shoot down 4 or 5 armed drug thugs who happen to be lined up with one slug.

where as for buckshot, the spread is great for stopping mutilple bgs at a distance, imagine a civil war style group.
Old March 17, 2008, 03:57 PM   #17
bt 223

Anchorage wrote.

I guess for "tactical" you are doing something like raiding an illegal drug factory where there are no innocent people there... It would be nice to shoot down 4 or 5 armed drug thugs who happen to be lined up with one slug.

where as for buckshot, the spread is great for stopping mutilple bgs at a distance, imagine a civil war style group.

Somebody has watched too many movies
Old March 17, 2008, 04:07 PM   #18
Creature

Quote:
If a Major League pitcher threw a fast-ball into your stomach at home plate... consider that as a .45 ACP hit. When you've recovered and stand up again, being run over by a charging 1800 pound Buffalo is the receiving end of a slug.
Yeow!...that's one way of lookin' at it.
Old March 17, 2008, 04:37 PM   #19
SuperBunny

Quote:
overcoming bg's with body armor/flak jackets.
Really? I thought body armor could stop slugs?

Or did you mean just hurt them alot! i would image it would break the sternum and all of a persons ribs if they were wearing body armor?
Old March 17, 2008, 04:44 PM   #20
Desertscout1

There are several levels of body armor. They don't all stop everything.
Glocks are what you show your enemies.
Old March 17, 2008, 05:09 PM   #21
trigger happy

even when the trauma plate and body armor do their thing, your day is still going to be ruined

but it beats being dead
Old March 17, 2008, 06:28 PM   #22
tony pasley

The slug stops the badguy who does not hear the slide being racked or does not believe what he just heard.
Old March 17, 2008, 06:54 PM   #23
rantingredneck

When something within 100 yds of you absolutely, positively, no questions asked has to die, I'd wager your best chances of making that happen are with a COM hit with a Brenneke KO Slug. If that fails, repeat, if that fails, then you've stepped through the looking glass and are now rightly screwed.
Old March 17, 2008, 07:24 PM   #24
scoutleader

I was a Sheriff Deputy at one time in a small county in Missouri. It was hight of Deer season and I had to work the afternoon shift. Just as we got to get ready for the afternoon patrol we had a drifter in town that just robbed the local back. The local PD were chasing the guy around town, he was armed and shot 2 people in the bank. The town only had 13,000 people in it and not very large. After a 20 minute cruise around town shooting at the us he stopped in the town square for a show down. He put 3 hand guns on top of his car and started shooting at anybody in site. He hit two cops before an off duty deputy with a 12 gauge with 3 slugs got a clear shot at him. The first shot was a single shot, COM. As we started to the car he stood back up and raised his 44 mag at the deputy. He dropped 3 more in from the semi auto shotgun. The guy had a vest. it only stopped the first slug, the other 3 found their mark. So yest it has a tactical purpose.
Old March 17, 2008, 08:32 PM   #25
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I will say from a ballistic standpoint the slug is a sledgehammer! Poke one trhu a an old freezer at 50 yards. In and out it goes... Body armor may stop penetration but them thousands of per square inch of impact will knock the wind out of anyone! At home defense range the spread of shot will be measured in inches not feet! Why waste all that energy? My first shot will be 7 1/2 shot but after that one 00 and the rest slugs...Com or head shot is a sure way to free me up to call 911!
Brent