The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old January 31, 2006, 05:03 PM   #1
Para Bellum

NYC Knife Law, what may I carry for defense?

packing.org seems to be down, so I'll ask you guys:

I am going to NYC soon and can't carry my guns there. I own these nice knifes and wonder, whether I could legally carry these or one of these in NYC for defense:

1. Fallkniven fixed blade:
http://www.fallkniven.com/g1/g1.htm

Total length:
7.5" (190 mm)

Blade length:
3.54" (90 mm)

Weight (knife): 100 g
Blade thickness:
0.18" (4,5 mm)

2. Buck Odyssee folding blade:

Buck Knives, Buck Odyssey Knife, 3 1/8" part serrated drop point blade, textured thermoplastic handle, 4 1/2" closed.

Anybody know this?
Thanks!
Old January 31, 2006, 05:10 PM   #2
C Philip

This website is the best I know of for state by state knife laws. Check here for the details.
http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm
As far as I remember, in NYC pretty much the only kind of knife you can have is a folding knife with a blade less than 4". So your Buck Odyssee would be ok. I would not bring the fixed bladed knife.
Old January 31, 2006, 05:15 PM   #3
Para Bellum

Thanks!
Old January 31, 2006, 05:15 PM   #4
mete

4" blade knife [single edge] not dagger [ double edge].
Old January 31, 2006, 07:51 PM   #5
Blackwater OPS

Should be in Legal
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old February 1, 2006, 12:24 AM   #6
epr105

4 Inch or less and no spring loaded or assisted. I can tell you that if you are not fimiliar with NYS/NYC law do some reading before you go. Pepper spray is also legal in NYC for SD.
Old February 1, 2006, 09:47 PM   #7
Dead

A stick if non-fat soft butter is legal to carry in NYC....
Old February 1, 2006, 10:57 PM   #8
pipoman

My .02. Your dagger style fixed is a good defensive weapon. The buck folder is a good back up to a gun. I have relied on my knife exclusively until recently doing confrontational work with desperate people. I prefer a folder with more of the properties of your fixed. A heavier, carbon steel blade, top side of blade sharpened as much as is legal (some areas allow 1" top sharpening without classifying it as a dagger) and a "smooth as glass" action.

I carry a Benchmade Axis Lock (next best thing to an auto opener, IMO), Gerber makes some heavier knives, there are others available. I like an adjustable blade tension. In most places a knife which operates by gravity is same as an auto. I like the blade to be adjusted so it requires a flick of the wrist. I have never held the Buck pictured, it appears to be the style of classic Spyderco. They are great backup/utility knives, a little light for knife fighting IMHO.
Old February 2, 2006, 06:50 AM   #9
K80Geoff

In NYC you can carry a wallet/purse which you should immediately hand over to the first miscreant who asks for it.

Please be sure that there are no sharp edges in said wallet/purse that might injure the thief. Otherwise you are liable to civil action.

Afterwards do not bother calling the police, they after all have more important things to be doing than to write down the particulars of your adventure.
Old February 2, 2006, 10:46 PM   #10
LICCW

Your number two choice is fine. An under 4" blade folder will not get noticed in NYC. You are perfectly legal up to 3-1/2" in NYC, so the Buck will be just fine. When I go to NYC I carry a Benchmade and pepper spray. My license allows me to drive through the city CCW on my way upstate or downstate but I can't carry on the streets of NYC. A Surefire L4 is also a great idea. Flashlights are legal everywhere, and coupled with a knife and pepper spray, you give yourself a good chance.
Old February 2, 2006, 11:26 PM   #11
Remmy

Good grief, this is pathetic. Reading this because ill be moving to NY soon, Albany specifically...and im assuming the laws are different in NYC. But still ill have to be reading up on it all just to make sure.
From what i understand i cant bring any pistol or rifle up there to my home w/ out having a new license. Otherwise i have no idea of the laws up there. Not looking forward to finding them out either.
Old February 3, 2006, 07:36 PM   #12
LICCW

Move to NY

Remmy,
It varies from county to county. Call the Pistol Licensing Bureau in Albany and find out what you have to do. Rifles are no problem anywhere in the state, but you better check on pre-ban post ban issues. I'm not sure you can bring in a post ban AR with a collapsible stock. You better check that kind of stuff. If you have a pistol licesne from another jurisdiction they are pretty good about transferring the license from what I hear. Good luck.