Quote:
O.O.D.A
Observe. Overreact. Destroy. Apologize.
that's a very funny spoof of the real OODA loop
Old March 4, 2009, 01:03 PM   #27
Kleinzeit

Quote:
a general lack of command of understandable English language
I don't get it. Do you mean, if the person is inebriated or otherwise drug affected?

Because being under-educated or coming from a non-English speaking background are not signs of criminality.

Thinking that they are might be, though.
Old March 4, 2009, 02:31 PM   #28
chemgirlie

I know this isn't very specific, but anybody who, for whatever reason, just me the "heebie jeebies" gets a red flag. Sometimes it's because they are standing in front of the mall without any shopping bags not doing anything other than watching people. Sometimes it's because they look like a gang member (baggy pants, huge sports jersey, big chain necklace). Yeah, they could just like roomy pants and the cowboys, but better safe than sorry.

There really isn't one "thing" that makes a red flag go up, it's just a general feeling and impression. I think I do a lot of stereotyping. I don't think it's a bad thing either. I know you should never judge a book by its cover, but sometimes bad books do come with bad covers.
Old March 4, 2009, 02:33 PM   #29
Shadi Khalil

One thing I learned is, If you are at a bar/club and grown men are looking at you and whispering in each others ears, one of two things will eventually happen; 1) You are about to get bought a drink and then propostioned to do something you might not wanna do... 2) At some point the guys who were looking at you and whispering like school girls will be kicking and stomping you like grown men. Number one has happend to me a few times but I have watched number two play out in clubs and bars through out the DC metro area.
Old March 4, 2009, 03:27 PM   #30
fm2

Stranger talking to you/ trying to get your attention and looking past you and checking his 6, looking around behind him.
Old March 4, 2009, 07:21 PM   #31
Kleinzeit

[Comment withdrawn. It was silly and not up to standard for this forum; my apologies.]

Last edited by Kleinzeit; March 5, 2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old March 5, 2009, 05:38 AM   #32
chadwimc

"...Because being under-educated or coming from a non-English speaking background are not signs of criminality.

Thinking that they are might be, though..."

Are you saying my thoughts are criminal?
Old March 5, 2009, 08:12 AM   #33
Kleinzeit

Quote:
"...Because being under-educated or coming from a non-English speaking background are not signs of criminality.

Thinking that they are might be, though..."

Are you saying my thoughts are criminal?
There's no such thing as criminal thoughts. But some attitudes suggest the possibility of criminal behavior.

When I see a person (or group of people: it's often a pack-mentality thing) who appears predisposed to act in a hostile way toward myself or another person on the basis of superficial differences, I go on alert.

I have experienced racial prejudice myself while travelling in other countries and I have seen that this prejudice will make others more likely to try to rob or assault or exploit me. If I see you behaving in a similarly prejudicial way toward someone in my community, then I will be on alert against you, too.

Prejudicial behavior includes:

1) Manifesting an overtly "vigilant" attitude in respect to the other person when what sets them apart is their skin color or accent or familiarity with English
2) Refusing to extend to them (on the same basis) the courtesies and civilities you are openly extending to others around you
3) Making it clear to them that they are being watched by you
4) Muttering and pointing at them
5) Making jokes at their expense
6) Doing nothing to hide your disdain
7) Doing anything else that makes the person feel uncomfortable to the point where they choose to leave

If I see someone behaving this way, I WILL be on alert.

Think of it as a kind of "Who's watching the watchmen?" thing. Just because you wear a gun and a white hat doesn't mean I have to trust you or respect your judgment.