The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 17, 2001, 07:19 PM   #1
Berthold

I want to do some of my own work, Whats a dremel model?
Old March 17, 2001, 10:32 PM   #2
UK2TX

A gunsmiths nightmare and a dealers dream!
Old March 17, 2001, 11:54 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Caution: More guns have been ruined with a Dremel tool than with any amount of shooting. I have a fair amount of experience and yet I have had them get away and ruin parts. I recommend working with old pieces of metal and scrap parts before tackling anything important.

Of course, no one ever takes my advice.

Jim
Old March 18, 2001, 08:07 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Berthold, dremels can be useful but I'd spend that money on some good files instead. George
Old March 18, 2001, 01:03 PM   #5
johnwill

When you buy your Dremel tool, make sure you don't buy any grinding wheels. Just use it for polishing things until you really get the hang of it. FWIW, It's the greatest gadget for doing things like polishing feed ramps, but the grinding wheels can destroy a gun faster than you can imagine!
Old March 18, 2001, 06:06 PM   #6
Badger Arms

Bad Dremmel, BAD!

I agree with the other's. Your more likely to do damage than anything else with a Dremmel. Stick with polishing strictly on guns and nothing else. A good set of needle files, some very fine sandpaper, and some jeweler's Rogue are all that's required in most cases. Polishing the feed ramp is one of a few jobs that I feel it's necessary to have the Dremmel for. That should take you a while to do and you should be careful not to remove too much. NEVER GRIND with the Dremmel.

That having been said, I prefer the large, variable speed one that plugs in. The rechargeable ones are simply too annoying.
Old March 20, 2001, 02:30 AM   #7
Ken Cook

Yup, like everyone else, BAD! YUCK! EVIL! NASTY!
but then again,
forget dremel and do a websearch on Foredom tools. They make Dremels look like something from Fischer Price!

My one serious caveat?
It's much easier to take metal off than to put it back.
(Trust me, I know!)
Old March 20, 2001, 08:59 AM   #8
BBBBill

What they all said...But when you do buy one (and I know you will ), get one of the top of the line models like the 395. Get a flex shaft and hanger also. 'Course if you got the money, a Foredom is better. Be very, very careful...and have fun.
Old March 20, 2001, 01:24 PM   #9
Redlg155

If ya absolutely gotta musta I can't stand it mama I just gotta have one, I would suggest the models with the flexible adjustment and variable speed.

Get the best one you can afford because when you ruin a good gun you will retire your dremel tool to polishing jobs and duck carving. Slow and easy is the way to go, file a bit, check the fit, file a bit, check the fit...

But then they are ok for bobbing a hammer spur.

Good Shooting
Red.
Ps..when ya get a new gun cause you ground the old one into powder...get a glock, you won't need any tools except a punch!
Old March 20, 2001, 10:30 PM   #10
WalterGAII

I bought the kit from Sams that has the variable speed with the flexible shaft and the rechargeable unit, plus a bunch of attachments for $89.95.

I use the felt wheel attachment with Simichrome to polish trigger assemblies and feed ramps on my Glocks. Also have used the drum sander for free-floating a couple of rifle stocks.

I don't do any metal grinding with my Dremels, but then, I have Glocks and probably will never need to do any grinding.
Old March 21, 2001, 10:31 PM   #11
Keith J

Not for gun work (except polishing)

I use mine for general housework, from polishing to chainsaw sharpening. I think the only time I've ever used it was in polishing the feed ramp on a 1911 and de-leading a chamber (felt rod with red rouge).

I use a spherical burr to remove the primer crimp from military cases. It only takes a second for each case (3/16" for small and 1/4" for large).

The one thing its perfect for is cutting bicycle shifter/brake cable. Just silver solder where you want to cut and use the cut-off wheel. Deburr and polish so the cable end can be run through the casing.