The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 4, 2012, 03:49 AM   #1
Gunnut17

Airsoft+.22 Pistol Idea

I've seen a lot of people on here posting pictures of guns that were originally Ruger 10/22s and Marlins, but were inserted into a Airsoft gun's body to emulate a firearm that isn't easy to aquire, or just fun to have in .22.

So I was thinking, how about pistols? Let's say you got a Ruger MKIII and a Airsoft FN Five Seven and made a .22 Five Seven?

My biggest concern is that the slide might break under pressure. Anyone have experience with this sort of build?

Thanks!

Last edited by Gunnut17; August 4, 2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old August 6, 2012, 10:17 PM   #2
HKFan9

Well it would be illegal... seeing as the frame of the handgun is serialized, and you'd be using the frame of the airsoft gun.

Not to mention I think it would be very hard for your average joe with no real fabrication experience to make it work.
Old August 6, 2012, 11:36 PM   #3
Gunnut17

Why are all my good ideas either patented or illegal?
Old August 7, 2012, 12:17 AM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Fan 9
Well it would be illegal... seeing as the frame of the handgun is serialized, and you'd be using the frame of the airsoft gun.
Why would it be illegal? Federal law allows anyone (other than a prohibited person) to make their own firearm, including handguns. No serial number is required unless at some point you decide to sell it.
Old August 7, 2012, 04:11 PM   #5
HKFan9

Well maybe I was wrong, but it was my understanding the frame had to have a serial number.

The only builds I have experience with are on purchased frames/receivers that were already serialized.

Thought you would need to have a manufacturing license for any other way?

Like I said I am no expert, but I thought I read about it somewhere where a guy was busted for building his own .50BMG rifle.
Old August 7, 2012, 04:21 PM   #6
dogtown tom

Quote:
Gunnut17 I've seen a lot of people on here posting pictures of guns that were originally Ruger 10/22s and Marlins, but were inserted into a Airsoft gun's body to emulate a firearm that isn't easy to aquire, or just fun to have in .22.

So I was thinking, how about pistols? Let's say you got a Ruger MKIII and a Airsoft FN Five Seven and made a .22 Five Seven?

My biggest concern is that the slide might break under pressure. Anyone have experience with this sort of build?
Nothing wrong about changing the look as long as you don't otherwise violate the GCA or NFA.

I doubt those 10/22's and Marlins used or replaced any of the parts needed to function.....only the stocks, etc.
Quote:
HKFan9 Well it would be illegal...
Not necessarily.

Quote:
HKFan9 Well maybe I was wrong, but it was my understanding the frame had to have a serial number.
Not necessarily, on the Ruger MkIII that the OP mentioned the receiver, not grip frame is the part considered "the firearm" (and the receiver on a MKIII has a serial number.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old August 7, 2012, 07:07 PM   #7
tahunua001

manufacturing a firearm is not illegal but for accountability purposes it must have a serial number affixed somewhere on it. as you would be using a ruger MKIII/22/45 the serial on upper half is sufficient because you will be modifying an already serialized gun rather than starting from scratch.

Tags
5.7 , airsoft , gun , idea