The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 16, 2011, 01:23 PM   #1
jhansman

Buying a rifle in Wisconsin?

I will be in WI for month or so this coming fall. Must I be a resident of the state to purchase a long gun? I have found info that say only WI residents can buy handguns, but what of rifles and shotguns? TIA!
Old June 16, 2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Don H

Quote:
Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unli...censed-acquire
Old June 16, 2011, 02:12 PM   #3
jhansman

Thanks. So, if I read this correctly, I may buy a rifle or shotgun in any state, so long as the seller complies with state laws in the sale. Now, transporting it into my home state is likely another issue that would involve an FFL. I live on the left coast, so I'll see what is required before purchasing.
Old June 16, 2011, 02:33 PM   #4
Don H

To clarify, you may not legally engage in an interstate private party sale. The transfer must be made through an FFL. The purchase must be legal both in the buyer's and the seller's state. Some states, for example, may require the buyer to effect the transfer through an FFL in the buyer's state or may require the buyer to possess some sort of state permission to make a firearms purchase (FOID, etc). If you do not possess said FOID, it may well be illegal for you to make an out-of-state purchase and transport it home, a violation of both state and federal laws. Some FFLs are on the ball and have knowledge of which states' residents they can legally sell firearms.
Old June 16, 2011, 03:29 PM   #5
jhansman

Right. I was hoping I could purchase out of state and then ship it to my FFL, but I suspect all this will be more trouble than it is worth. Just a thought....
Old June 16, 2011, 06:50 PM   #6
Don H

Sure, buying it and having the out-of-state FFL ship it to your FFL at home is an alternative. Does add some fees to the purchase price, though.
Old June 16, 2011, 07:38 PM   #7
wally626

Most of the time you can buy a long gun in another state from a FFL and take it home with you. The exceptions are states that might require you to register the gun in your state and require the transfer take place through a FFL. That is why the law says it must be legal in both the state you are in and the state you are from.

Oregon appears to restrict sales to adjoining states only, so no carrying it home there from WI. Washington appears fine. CA requires an FFL transfer instate so nope there as well.
Old June 16, 2011, 09:14 PM   #8
jhansman

Well, as it turns out, I can ship a long gun to my FFL via USPS, but unless I can either find a rifle there that I can't get here or the price difference is significant, it probably isn't worth the effort. I'll probably decide once I get there and see what's available.