The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 12, 2012, 02:35 PM   #1
Josh Smith

Mosin Shootin' Contest!

Hi Folks,

Feel free to join in!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4FfcWyN6YM

100 yards... I left the frame stating the distance out of the vid accidentally. Iron sights only, prone, unrested. Your weak arm can be the monopod, as is traditionally taught. Sling support is allowed. Handloads and such are allowed. Modified front sights are fine, whether they're mine or something you made with shrink tube etc. Just no 'scopes or peep sights!

Josh
Old March 13, 2012, 01:17 AM   #2
deerslayer303

John,

I'm interested in getting some of your sights, do you have a how to vid on installation and zeroing. I don't necessarily need it but it may help others just a thought.

Oh and is the contest open to ANY nagant? Or just a 91/30?
Old March 13, 2012, 02:54 AM   #3
Josh Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer303
I'm interested in getting some of your sights, do you have a how to vid on installation and zeroing. I don't necessarily need it but it may help others just a thought.

Oh and is the contest open to ANY nagant? Or just a 91/30?
Hello,

I do not have a video of removal and installation, but they do come with complete instructions.

You just tap the old one out and put the new one in. I send them zeroed for most 91/30 rifles, but if you need to adjust them, just loosen the set screw and move the post up to lower the point of aim or drift the sight left to move the point of aim right (opposite of what you'd do to a rear sight).

The idea is to keep them as rugged as the originals -- and they are; I test new models with a hammer!

If you go to http://www.smith-sights.com/the-guild.php , you'll see "Elby". He makes sight drifting tools. They're not necessary but simplify things. I still prefer the hammer and punch the first time around, though.

Most prefer Elby's tools. I'm just weird I guess!

The contest is indeed open to any Mosin-Nagant, with the exception of those equipped with 'scopes (snipers/sporterized) or peep sights (thinking Mojo sights or the M28/76).

Yer standard Finnish models are just fine to use, as well as 91/30s, M44s, M91/59s, etc.

Regards,

Josh Smith
Smith-Sights.com
Old March 13, 2012, 03:23 AM   #4
deerslayer303

Thanks for the info and sorry I called you "John" instead of "Josh". I get to reading so fast on these forums I mess up. My apologies. I will order them straight away. I'm just going to replace the sights on all of my Mosins.