The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 30, 2010, 05:26 AM   #1
Dr Killdeer

Recoil spring question

I have a Springfield V10 stainless in 45 ACP that has a 24 lb recoil spring. It’s a sub compact model that was designed for standard velocity ammo using a 240 bullet.

I tried to shoot my reduced target loads with a 185 grain Montana Gold bullet, but every fourth or fifth round either failed to eject or stovepiped. I’m contemplating changing the recoil spring from 24 to 20 pounds.

How about some feedback!
Should I go with an even lighter spring, say 18 pounds? Is it a good idea to change the mainspring as well? What’s going to happen, after I make the change if I put a factory round through it? Is the slide going to fly off the gun and strike an anti-gun lobbyist bystander?
Old April 4, 2010, 11:01 PM   #2
Haycreek

Try the 20 pound recoil spring, if the spent brass falls close to you , go to a lighter spring. Leave the hammer spring as is.
Old April 5, 2010, 12:22 AM   #3
hoghunting

Quote:
What’s going to happen, after I make the change if I put a factory round through it? Is the slide going to fly off the gun and strike an anti-gun lobbyist bystander?
The slide won't fly off, but it will hammer the frame.
Old April 7, 2010, 02:55 PM   #4
riverwalker76

You should try Sprinco Springs. They really are the best! I was skeptical until I tried them myself. The staff is really helpful in helping you pick out what you need. A lot of the big name competition shooters use them.

http://www.sprinco.com/
Old April 7, 2010, 05:28 PM   #5
Gbro

Order up a few recoil buffers with your new spring.
Here
Old April 7, 2010, 06:26 PM   #6
Dr Killdeer

Hey, thanks guys! I tried the 20 lb spring and I shot 100 rounds without a problem. The brass lands in the same area pretty consistently. I don’t really know what to look for as far as the gun being hammered, but it’s the ported model, which I guess takes some of the sting out of it.
The Springfield is my indoor range gun, so as long as I shoot target loads without any problems, I’m happy. The Kimber pro carry is my “perp” repellant gun and I never shoot reduced loads in it.