The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 8, 2010, 05:05 PM   #1
troy_mclure

basic pistol shooting classes

im thinking of taking a basic and possibly advanced pistol course.

mostly concerning full sized pistols, not ccw type course.

i doubt ill be able to get the time or afford one of the big schools currently, so ill probably looking up to a few hours from louisiana.

what kind of stuff should i be looking for when choosing classes/instructors?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old April 11, 2010, 10:30 AM   #2
Blue Steel

How much time and how much money are you wanting to invest?
Old April 11, 2010, 11:56 AM   #3
troy_mclure

maybe a weekend/couple of hundred $$.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old April 12, 2010, 10:32 AM   #4
Blue Steel

Combat Focus in Jackson, Mississippi

Link to course dates/information: ICE Training: Combat Focus Shooting

Combat Focus Shooting course just south of Jackson, Mississippi on July 24th & 25th. $350+ cost of ammunition.

From http://www.icetraining.us: Combat Focus is an intuitive shooting program that is based on the study of empirical evidence from real violent encounters and builds on the body's natural reaction to an attack. At the ranges that gun fights typically occur, Combat Focus is the most effective way to engage your threat with a handgun. This two day course empowers students by encouraging them to embrace their bodies natural reaction to a lethal threat and work with it to neutralize that threat as efficiently and effectively as possible. The Combat Focus Technique is not hip-shooting, in fact, the only significant difference between using this technique and sighted fire is the focus of your attention at the moment the trigger breaks.

In addition to years of practical experience, the instructor has worked with some of the top trainer's in the industry to develop the Combat Focus Course.

This course is features a significant amount time discussing what happens during dynamic encounters and dissecting each shooters performance. Students should plan on firing between 1100 and 1500 rounds during the course.
Old April 12, 2010, 11:03 AM   #5
Blue Steel

The United States Shooting Academy in Tulsa, OK is a world class facility. It is farther away and 2-day courses seem to run about $450

http://www.usshootingacademy.com/

There are also a lot of schools in TX, but I'm not personally familiar with them. Maybe someone else could chime in about that.
Old April 12, 2010, 11:42 AM   #6
kraigwy

Quote:
im thinking of taking a basic and possibly advanced pistol course.

mostly concerning full sized pistols, not ccw type course.
Sounds like you want to get the fundamentals down, GOOD IDEAL.

Check the CMP website to get a CMP State Assn. in your area. Find one that shoots Bullseye pistol, most, like in high power put on a clinic. Most charge very little, some dont charge at all (I dont charge for the ones I put on.)

These clinic are like the small arms firing schools that they provide at Perry, (I think they are required at Perry for new shooters, not sure).

They will teach you the fundamentals that you will need for any type pistol shooting you elect to shoot later.

To get you started, I would recommend you get the Army Marksmanship Unit, Pistol Marksmanship Guide. I have in on .pdf file that I will send you if you pm me with your e-mail address.

I only ask in return is that you share this file with anyone else you know thats interested in learning the fundamentals of pistol shooting.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 12, 2010, 01:35 PM   #7
Bartholomew Roberts

Paul Howe, of Black Hawk Down fame, teaches handgun at his range near Nacogdoches, TX. That might be worth looking at.

A lot of instructors travel as well, so it might be worth looking at different schedules to see if one is in your area.