The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 4, 2007, 02:53 PM   #1
m1rrg

whats the deal with primers...

$100 for a case of 5000? Seems to me only 6 months ago they ran about $65 a case/gunshow price. So why the big jump in prices?
Old June 5, 2007, 06:06 PM   #2
Cpl Nobbs

war, demand, fuel costs, material costs, profit takeing.
Old June 5, 2007, 06:15 PM   #3
ShootingNut

Good price

I don't see any big jump, comparing prices around here. Always paid about
20-23 bucks for a brick (1,000) for standard pistol primers or magnums.
Old June 5, 2007, 09:28 PM   #4
Unforgiven826

If I hear one more person mention transportation or fuel cost as being a factor in ammo prices I am going to scream. I am an owner operator truck driver and as the cost of fuel has gone up all over this nation the freight rates have dropped. I am losing 200-300 bucks a week out of my pocket in increased fuel cost with no relief from the shippers.
Old June 5, 2007, 09:35 PM   #5
Sector001

The exact same reason brass and jacketed bullets have skyrocketed in price. The price of copper has soared.
Old June 5, 2007, 09:36 PM   #6
Gbro

Hey,
Just because they aren't ponying up for the increase doesn't mean they can't use the increase in your cost to there advantage, Its really the American way.
relax' think of your blood pressure.
Welcome to blue collar life.
Old June 6, 2007, 09:58 AM   #7
Cpl Nobbs

UPS/Fedex/DHL are all charging more. my soon to be brother in law is also a long haul and he has kept up with fuel costs. I spend a lot of time on the road for clients and I have also had to increase to keep up.

fuel costs are a factor. thats the reality.
Old June 6, 2007, 03:20 PM   #8
ob_1jr

shootingnut, wouldn't that make it $100 for 5000? Anyway, I don't know, I haven't bought primers in bulk yet....seems to me that if you bought primers in bulk, it should be a little cheaper. I think around here they are about $20 for 1000. Of course, I would think that you would be able to get a better deal at a gun show for them...

m1rrg...that 100 for them at a gun show now too? Just wondering.

I know that read somewhere that primers especially were getting short in the stores. I think the last time I was in sportsman's it was getting low their too. I just thought that people were doing more reloading and shooting since the weather was nice here and hunting season was open.

FWIW, at midway they are $104 for 5000...I usually see what it is there to see if I am getting a good deal. I don't think I could get them shipped to alaska anyway...so I am stuck with what they have in the stores here.