The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 30, 2002, 08:46 PM   #1
Anthony

LAPD SWAT Pistol Competition

Hello Everyone,

I'm sure everyone has been reading about LAPD SWAT's selection of the Kimber as their new service pistol. What I have not seen is the list of the four other competitors Kimber beat to win the contract.

Does anyone KNOW who the other four companies were and/or how they each failed to match the Kimber?

Thanks for the input.

- Anthony
Old December 1, 2002, 09:41 PM   #2
blades67

I don't think they releast that info, just that Kimber got the contract.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old December 1, 2002, 10:10 PM   #3
SW CQB 45

I spoke to a SW LE Rep months ago. they took the 945 for the LAPD to try out for their SWAT team. he said no one was picking up the 945. he asked one person shooting the different weapons, why dont he try the Smith. his response, the safety works backwards. he also said LAPD had already made up their mind on the Kimber as they were thrown a sweet deal. I think he also said Springfield was out there to.
Old December 1, 2002, 10:40 PM   #4
IRock

It is possible Kimber gave them a good deal. But I'm sure the others would have also. They had to pass several tests which determined the outcome. Not a few bucks off.
Old December 1, 2002, 11:58 PM   #5
JTWard

I worked in government service (fire/EMS) for many years, and toward the end of my career one of my duties was writing bid proposals for new equipment purchases. By law we had to purchase from the lowest responsive bidder. The key word here is "responsive." I would decide what brand of widget I wanted to buy and write the bid specifications to exactly match the specifications of the widgets produced by Acme Widget Company. When the bids would come in only the bid submitted by Acme would match the specs exactly, so they were the only "responsive" bidder and they got the contract, no matter what the cost.
Is this the way it's supposed to work? No. But it sure gets ya what ya want. ;-)
Old December 2, 2002, 07:49 PM   #6
vanfunk

??? The safety works backwards on the S&W 945???

Now, I'm not a fan of S&W autos, but I am a strict adherent to truth and knowledge.

The safety on a S&W 945 works just as it does on a 1911, push up for safe, down for fire...

Did this guy even LOOK at the gun??? Did he dismiss it soley on the basis of what he knew of S&W 3rd generation auto lockwork with the slide mounted decocker/safety (ala Beretta)?

I'm sure the Kimber is a fine pistol, but puuhhlleeaassee.....?

Somebody better pull their socks up!

Sorry for the rant!
vanfunk
Old December 2, 2002, 10:26 PM   #7
blades67

Who really cares? Why would you buy a gun because LAPD SWAT uses it?

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old December 2, 2002, 11:33 PM   #8
KShaft

really! its no fbi gun!

The only kimber Id use in a hard use role is one that has been gutted of all its pseudo metal (mim) parts and tuned for reliability.
Not to mention some metalform, cm powermag, or of course wilson (with some spare followers) mags.

k.s.
Old December 3, 2002, 05:57 AM   #9
Jhp147

maybe

Vanfunk-
Maybe CQB45 was making the point that a lot of folks (or at least this one) don't seem to know that Smith even makes a gun that has the 1911 style safety.
Maybe if the other makers had bought some ad space, the article might have mentioned who the other three makers were!
Not cynical, just practical.