The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 30, 2013, 12:17 PM   #1
Buckeyeshooter

270 wsm primer question

A buddy and I are having a question of who is correct on which primer to use in his 270 wsm load. He is using win 760 powder but only has large rifle primers not the magnum ones the load manual states. First is there any risk to safety in using the large rifle primers. Second if they are safe would it just affect bullet velocity or would it cause pressure variances in chamber and barrel. I say stay with the load data. Any other votes or comments from the more experienced?

Thanks in advance
Old January 30, 2013, 02:04 PM   #2
gundog5

Magnum primers are called for in cases that hold larger amounts of powder then the standard LR primers will not effectively ignite the entire powder charge. I will not claim to be an expert on internal chamber pressure but IMO I would be wary. Use the primmers recommended for safety and piece of mind.
Old January 30, 2013, 02:19 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If the data calls for magnum primers, it is wise to use them. They are used to ensure consistent ignition of powder in large cases and/or charges of harder to light slow burning powders, which are typically the powders used in large cases.

It's not likely to be a safety issue, so long as you know what to do in the off-chance that the gun doesn't say "BOOM!" but it is likely to cause erratic ignition, muzzle velocity and effect long distance accuracy.
Old January 30, 2013, 02:52 PM   #4
AllenJ

Completely agree with the answers above. I've read somewhere that ball powder is harder to ignite, therefore in large cases magnum primers were recommended for more consistant ignition.