The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 30, 2009, 05:41 PM   #1
mnhntr

Coyote meets 1911 (GRAPHIC PICS)

Ran hounds today on a pair of yotes and managed to get this one after it was cornered in a junk/wood pile. The 230gr WWB ball round hit just above the eye and out the shoulder.
Old December 30, 2009, 05:45 PM   #2
hoytinak

That's a pretty yote. All the one's I've seen around here this year all looked like they had Mange.
Old December 30, 2009, 05:49 PM   #3
paknheat

Good shot, pic is'nt that gory.
Old December 30, 2009, 06:38 PM   #4
Jim March

Old December 30, 2009, 07:17 PM   #5
Riphalman

Pet?

Jim....is that your pet? I'd like to know something about that.
Old December 30, 2009, 08:09 PM   #6
Jim March

Pics came from:

http://www.dailycoyote.net/

Some lady is raising a baby orphan 'yote out in the middle of nowhere. Basically it's turned out very close to a "doggy" except it's not happy around new humans. It seems to be able to adapt to new animals fairly well, at least as well as the average dog.

And the cat still bosses it around even years into adult coyote-hood.
Old December 30, 2009, 08:14 PM   #7
Tom2

Well, wait till he talks to some of his brethren and finds out that your cats are good to eat! Someone around here was talking about being attacked by a coyote in this county, and some research was done. There are places online selling coyote fur "throws" for thousands of dollars. The varmints are apparently valuable to someone after all!
Old December 30, 2009, 10:00 PM   #8
treg

That is cool mnhntr!

Ain't many people out there shot a 'yote with a pistol.
Old December 30, 2009, 10:28 PM   #9
jdscholer

That's a nice coyote you've got there.

Before PETA and bleeding heart stupidity in general, coyote and many other furs were very valuable. Everyone who kills them oughta do themselves a favor and send one in for commercial tanning. It will make ya want one of those coyote fur throws. Mrs. jd and I are working towards that goal.

By the way, the pet coyote pics are ---pretty darned cute. I kind of think that the animals that we give ourselves to, borrow (or maybe steal) a little bit of our soul. It looks like that coyote has done that to some poor human. At least that's a small coyote throw that they won't have to send off for tanning. jd
Old December 30, 2009, 10:39 PM   #10
Jim March

This is from when she first got him:

Here's an early problem she encountered:

A quote from some of her earlier notes:

Quote:
The dominance thing is very established - it happened very naturally, probably because Charlie joined me while so young. When I come in the door, Charlie rolls onto his back with his tiny tail wagging and reaches up to lick my face.

Charlie’s dying to befriend the cat, and the cat is very conflicted about the whole thing. He catches the scent of the coyote and knows it’s a predator, and whines, but when Charlie runs up to Eli with his tail wagging, Eli just looks at him like, what are you doing in my house, taking attention away from me. I hate you. Charlie’s determined to play but if he persists too long the cat gives him a swat and Charlie whimpers away, and sits nearby like he’s waiting for approval. Which he rarely gets. When the cat is half asleep he lets Charlie crawl on him, and Charlie even tried to nurse on the cat once. It’s a relationship in progress.
http://www.dailycoyote.net/?beginning=true&paged=4

I'll stop now but it's very interesting that even into adulthood, the coyote is still buddies with the cat. And as an adult, the coyote was successfully introduced to the dog. BUT, it's still a wild animal. Any new human comes around, it has no idea how to cope. What she's doing is sane ONLY because she's way the hell out in the middle of nowhere.
Old December 30, 2009, 11:02 PM   #11
Wiskey_33

I know a guy who raised a yote from a pup. Said it was an amazing pet, very smart too.
Old December 31, 2009, 12:29 AM   #12
LateNightFlight

Nice. I had a great uncle that ran hounds back when our area was more open.

As far as coyotes as pets, I've always heard that they were difficult to train - that if you were expecting the results you'd get with a dog, you'd probably be disappointed. And the issues of keeping a wild animal as a pet tend to get worse as they get older.

I played with a neighbor's year old coyote pet as a kid and it had no idea of how to play nice. Its play bites and nips weren't anything I'd experienced with regular dogs. I thought I was having fun until I realized I was bleeding a few places. I think I'll stick with labs, border collies, stuff like that.
Old December 31, 2009, 04:47 AM   #13
10-96

Good pistol shooting.
I finished off a spine shot yote once with a 9mm Golden Saber. Now THAT was a graphic situration!

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old January 2, 2010, 11:18 PM   #14
EstillEngineer#59

nice kill
Old January 3, 2010, 03:29 PM   #15
BobR

Quote:
There are places online selling coyote fur "throws" for thousands of dollars.
I did see a black 'yote hide sell for 400 dollars at a tourist trap in Montana once.

And I am lucky to get 35 dollars a hide.

bob
Old January 3, 2010, 07:33 PM   #16
boltaction

Nice shot mnhntr. Not a bad pic at all. Thats reality. I posted a pic on another forum of what a 270 WSM did to the back of a whitetail and it got pulled. Gotten too PC, some people like to shoot guns but don't like to see the results of what they had just done I guess.
Old January 9, 2010, 09:18 AM   #17
N.H. Yankee

WOW good thing she wasn't breast feeding that pup Nice yote you've got, good shooting also, I usually carry a 40cal as we are infested with yotes in my area on N.H. Some run over 50lbs, I read an article that they discovered wolf DNA in them and that why they grow so large here. We have had a couple attacks on humans by yotes here recently, I think in some part due to the lack of food.