The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 21, 1999, 01:25 PM   #1
slickpuppy

Is there a narrower front sight available for the model 41 or am I out of luck? The longer barrel assembly sight picture for me is perfect, but the short barrel front sight picture is tough for me to get used to. Also, the rear sight windage doesn't seem to stay in place, ie, you can physically move the rear sight from side to side.

Thanks
Old November 21, 1999, 11:30 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Slick Puppy, you can thin the front yourself or have it done just by filing with a safe-sided pillar file. I'd almost have to look at the rear to tell you what's wrong with it but you might be ahead of the game just replacing it. Brownells www.brownells.com sells replacements. George
Old November 22, 1999, 03:27 PM   #3
slickpuppy

George,
Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the front sight and it is obviously machined out. I am a bit leary filing its thickness or even having someone do that. Might be wiser for me to purchase a new rear sight with a bit wider notch. Perhaps something with a white outline. Does anyone have any recommendations? George?
Old November 23, 1999, 12:20 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Millett makes the best I think. Brownells sells them. You can get white outline or plain black. George
Old November 23, 1999, 07:50 AM   #5
slickpuppy

Well, I found the root of my sight blade movement problems. I had to adjust the blade to the right all of the way and the adjustment screw was almost out of the sight housing. On closer examination I found that the sight had not been centered in the dovetail which explained the extreme blade position to get on target. I took a rubber mallet and centered the sight body on the slide and recentered the blade and, voila, no more blade movement.

The pistol came with Millet sights. Which model I do not know. Brownells lists 3 sight slides available: .196, .213, and 5 1/2 bbl(no notch width given and what I have). Funny, the cost on replacements is $21.02 for the 5.5 bbl version, $8.41 for the .196, and $9.00 for the .213. Another oddity is that the 5.5 bbl version has its own specific parts to go with it. Instead of just replacing the blade maybe it would be wiser to just pop off the stock rear sight and get a replacement with a wider sight slide notch.