The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 27, 2002, 02:23 PM   #1
critter44

Malfunction! How do I fix it?

I have some experience with 1911's but am no expert. This am, while shooting one of mine, I had a malfunction that I have not exerienced before.

The gun fired, extracted, ejected, fed a new round but the hammer followed the slide to half-cock position. It functioned as advertised for 3 more mag's full. The gun has all after market fire control parts set up by a reliable 'smith but has been shot quite a bit since then.

Is it some sort of operator error or is it something that a 'smith needs to fix?

Thanks for any info offered.
Old July 27, 2002, 04:07 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

Either dirty...
Or more likely broken.
Unsafe.
Smith time.

Sam
Old July 27, 2002, 04:14 PM   #3
critter44

10-4! My sentaments exactly. Thanks.
Old July 27, 2002, 06:06 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Maybe that smith is not so "reliable". Lots of smiths work to get a light pull without worrying about the gun keeping it. Result is soft sears or hammers, too fine notches, knife edge sears, etc.

Take it back and maybe he will do it right the next time or send it to someone who can. And maybe settle for "not so light" pull.

Jim
Old July 27, 2002, 07:32 PM   #5
4 Eyed Six Shooter

Jim is correct, what is happening is that the sear nose is slipping past the hammer notch. This can be caused by wear, not enough sear enguagement, incorrect sear/hammer angles, or not enough pressure by the sear spring. It is an unsafe condition and should be corrected before firing again. You said it has been shot alot since the trigger job. Light trigger jobs require regular check ups to make sure that they are safe. Unless your style of shooting requires a very light trigger, I would have your smith set it a little heavier just to be on the safe side.
Good Shooting , John K