The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 7, 2001, 05:20 PM   #1
ebachman

Load experimentation for 45ACP & Unique

Loaded 5.1gr Unique behind a 230gr LRN and took it to the range. The recoil still felt less than the Wolf factory stuff I've fed my 1911A1. Accurate and no signs of over pressure. Should I play with the loads increasing by 5% or just be happy with it?
This coming from someone who bracket raced in the 80's and always ran under<G>
Eric
Old November 7, 2001, 06:18 PM   #2
WIL TERRY

45ACP AND YUU-NEE-QUU

MY STANDARD 45ACP-23OLRN LOAD FOR OVER 35 YEARS HAS BEEN 6.5GR OF UNIQUE. NEVER SAW A 45ACP PISTOL OR SIXGUN THAT WOULDN'T SHOOT THAT LOAD AT LEAST DECENTLY.
YOU DIDN'T ASK BUT I'LL ALSO ADD THAT 7.0GR OF UNIQUE HAS BEEN A STANDARD LOAD WITH 200GR BULLETS FOR JUST AS LONG.

THE NEWER HODGDON'S UNIVERSAL POWDER HAS BEEN TESTED IN THE SAME QUANTITIES AND HAS BEEN JUST AS GOOD, PLUS BEING A BIT CLEANER BURNING THOUGH THE LATTER TRAIT IS OF NO REAL IMPORTANCE DESPITE ALL THE HOORAH ABOUT IT LATELY.
Old November 7, 2001, 07:07 PM   #3
MADISON

45 ACP and Unique

One of my favorate "target" loads with either a
200 or 230 grain cast or plated bullet is 5.0 gr.
of Unique.

6.5 grains, in som manuals is factory/850 FPS. It is probablly as close to factory as you are going to get.

I loaded up a bunch of 7.3 grains of Unique for my Glock 21 [230gr.JHP]. It was both OVER MAX and HOT.

Around 6.0 grains would be my openion. I also shoot a lot of Winchester 231.
Old November 8, 2001, 10:40 AM   #4
BigG

6.0 gr of Unique topped with a 200 gr SWC pill is the accuracy load in my Gold Cup.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old November 8, 2001, 11:06 AM   #5
ebachman

Great stuff

Thanks for all the replies. Another question: is a chronograph an essential piece of equipment in this pursuit or should I just focus on accuracy and case condition afer range sessions?
Thanks again...e
Old November 9, 2001, 09:03 PM   #6
Chemistry

I would say that if you are below the SAAMI max pressure, and if you are happy with your accuracy, then does it really matter what velocity you are using?

However, I would say that a chronograph would certainly be a nice addition for anyone who would be curious as to what velocities they can obtain.
Old November 11, 2001, 09:13 AM   #7
Hal

Personally, I'd say the less you mess with success the better. Use it as your pet load in that particular gun and fine tune it as needed.

My own "Watch me make on half inch hole" load for my Kimber is 5.0 gr of Unique under a 230 gr cast bullet. It doesn't simulate anything factory, but the outstanding accuracy of it goes a long way to capping a terrible work week if I shoot on a Saturday, or if I'm shooting on a Sunday, setting the tone for a great week ahead.