The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 27, 2001, 03:04 PM   #1
bushmaster225

What is your Garand load

I'm very new to reloading so my questions may sound a little dumb.

Is IMR4895 and H4895 the same pound with IMR and H being the different manufactures?

What is the load you shoot in your Garand?

Thanks for your help!
Old October 29, 2001, 02:09 AM   #2
Archie

They are sort of the same.

You are correct in the manufacturer part. IMR used to be Dupont, and H is Hodgdon.

They are not the same. Hodgdon is slower to some degree.

My best load for Garand (.308 Winchester) is 168 grain HPBT and IMR 4895, about a "middle" load.
For .30-06, the charge will be a little greater. Check your loading manual.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old October 30, 2001, 02:24 PM   #3
Gewehr98

My two Garands like...

what was passed on to me as the old National Match load, a 168gr MatchKing, and 45.5 gr of IMR4895. Primers are Federal 210 Match, brass is Lake City '68.

As usual, work your way up to a given load, using a recent loading manual as a reference. But for the Garand, do stay with IMR 4895 or powders that duplicate it's burn rate, otherwise gas port pressures may be off enough to harm the oprod and action.

Neural Misfires
Old October 31, 2001, 06:26 PM   #4
Bogie

Yow! That's a LOT of 4895!

DON'T USE THAT LOAD WITHOUT WORKING UP.

I'd get a box or three of 168 grainers, and start at about 40 grains or so...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old November 1, 2001, 03:11 PM   #5
sundog

bushmaster, several Garands I've shot like 47.0g IMR 4064 in LCNM cases and either 173 NM bullets or 168 NMHPs. In fact, my regular high power match shooter prefers this load over 4895. Also, you might consider a harder primer (I use CCI) to help guard against slam fires. NRA has a really good reprinted Rifleman articles M1 pamphlet that has lots of good stuff including some load information and accurizing tips. sundog
Old November 1, 2001, 06:40 PM   #6
David Wile

Hey folks,

I have three Garands (two Springfields and a Win-13), and I have used a lot of different powders in all of them. I also use cast bullets as well as jacketed bullets in all three. I generally like to use the slower burning powders whether I am using cast or jacketed bullets. All three Garands shoot and function well, and I have never had to replace any op rod or other parts on them. Well, that is not quite true. On my one Springfield, the original barrel was opened somewhat at the muzzle, and it did not shoot as well as the others. After a lot of consideration, I finally replaced the original barrel with a new one, and it now shoots better than the other two. I could not bring myself to sell the original barrel, but it really does not make any sense to keep it. They are all great guns.

One further thing I might mention, is that I do not shoot hot loads in my Garands. I have used a lot of different powders, but I have started with low loadings and worked up to where the action functions reliably and the accuracy is best with whatever bullet I am using. My cast bullet is a Lyman Loverin gas check design that weighs about 152 grains. I generally use 150 to 165 grain FMJ-BT for jacketed bullets. In recent years, I have opted for the IMI Mil Spec bullets that are available at good prices.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old November 2, 2001, 01:16 AM   #7
NoSweat

47 to 48 gr of IMR 4064 behing a Sierra 168 seems to be the favorite load around here
Old November 2, 2001, 09:52 PM   #8
Target Shooter

Gewehr98,
That's a very popular load you listed. 45.5 grains is what I shoot.

Bogie,
This load of 45.5 grains of IMR 4895 isn't hot at all. I know guys that shoot 47 grains.

Always check data you receive over the net and never start at max.

TS