The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 26, 2001, 09:24 PM   #1
yorick

Is it me or......

Is the RCBS progressive reloader (especially the priming mechanism) the worst piece of Rube Goldberg engineering ever?

I've reloaded maybe 500 (pistol) rounds, it took probably 200 crummy ones to finally get it working right and now the thing is coming apart.

I bought the Ammomaster 2000 so I can reload my long rifle rounds (338 Lapua, 50 BMG, neither of which fit in the rockchucker) anyway I hand prime and weigh each powder charge on the rifle cases, the but it would be nice to be able to sit down and bang out a few hundred pistol cartidges while watching TV.

With this thing, it ain't happening.

Anyway, are the Dillon progressives any better? I don't mean service after the sale (RCBS has cheerfully replaced busted parts at no charge) I mean I want something that ISN'T GOING TO NEED replacement parts or service in the first place!

I just want something that will work, 99.9% of the time without hassle...is that too much to ask?

Any input from people who have used both would be welcome.
Old July 26, 2001, 09:44 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I have an early Dillon progressive (450?) which just keeps on keeping on. Some 18 years, now, roughly...

FWIW, Art
Old July 27, 2001, 08:36 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

All machines wear, break, and need adjustment.

Loading machines respond to their operator.

Buy Dillon.

The "...99.9% of the time without hassle..." will depend on you.
Old July 27, 2001, 09:21 AM   #4
tonyz

I Agree with WESHOOT2

I bought a Dillon Square Deal B about 3 years ago
and it has been nothing but reliable. It just cranks out 1000 of round with no problem,s. Since you want to Reload rifle rounds, I would suggest the Dillon 550 or the 650. You can't go wrong with the Dillon brand.

Best,
Tony
Old July 27, 2001, 10:51 AM   #5
E. BeauBeaux

My 550 is about 8 years old now, never missed a beat. It does all my reloading with the conversion set-up's I have. You won't be sorry going with the Dillon.
Old July 29, 2001, 05:36 PM   #6
keano44

"but it would be nice to be able to sit down and bang out a few hundred pistol cartridges while watching TV."

Distractions while reloading could be dangerous. Especially with some pistol cartridges, double charging can occur and not be obvious if you aren't paying careful attention.

Reload Safe,

Keano44
Old July 29, 2001, 06:25 PM   #7
C.R.Sam

What Keano44 said cannot be overemphasized.

When loading, just as when handling a firearm......pay attention to the task at hand.

Sam
Old July 30, 2001, 02:03 PM   #8
Chris McDermott

My RCBS 2000 works great, don't understand what problems you are having with the priming system. Put the strips in, make sure you're doing a full stroke when seating the primer so the ratchets can advance the strip properly and enjoy not having to load tubes anymore.
Old July 30, 2001, 05:46 PM   #9
MADISON

RCBS's Rube Goldberg

That is tipical. I have not used all the priming systems but, the one I have settled on and have no troubl with is:
RCBS
Bench Mounted
Auto. Priming Tool
Part # 09460
Old August 5, 2001, 06:57 PM   #10
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Another endorsement for Dillon

I bought my 550B amost eleven years ago and only wish I'd done so sooner.

My 550B has had no trouble at all except from my own errors. Each time I've called the company for assistance, they've given it promptly and cheerfully, and with no charge at all. The tech support people say, "If you can break it, we'll fix it."

I sometimes turn up TV with History Channel on in the other room and listen while loading. Or play music. But I agree that watching TV while loading would be a bit too distracting.

Before getting my Dillon, I loaded some on the then-current Lee progressive, and was unimpressed. I understand the new ones are improved. I have one friend who uses a Hornady Projector and likes it a lot, but I've never seen him using it.

I've always liked the RCBS products I tried, especially my single stage press and many sets of dies. But I'm so satisfied with my 550B that I'm not tempted to try anything else. Only thing I'd change is to get another one, so I could leave one set up with large primer feed, and one for small. This is the most time consuming thing about changing calibers.

Best regards,
Johnny
Old August 5, 2001, 11:28 PM   #11
blades67

Maybe parts keep breaking because you're whatching TV when you should be whatching the machine.

I hunt, therefore I am.