The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 3, 2014, 05:43 PM   #1
Smith and Wesson

What Type of Rest for Accurate Shooting

For shooting when virtually all human error needs to be taken out, such as load development or comparing different ammo's accuracy what type of rest do you use? Bi-pod, sand bags, lead sled, etc.? The reason I'm asking is because currently I'm using a bi-pod for all my shooting from a bench with both my elbows rested on the L shaped bench, but still I can't shoot accurately enough to take out enough human error to compare the accuracy between two loads. So do I need a different rest or am I a bad shot, and please be honest?
Old July 3, 2014, 06:01 PM   #2
nemesiss45

Do you use a rear bag? That will help a bipod. A good front bag will be better than a bipod and a good benchrest rig will be better still... but even then the actual bench you are on, your trigger pull, eye relief, and environmental factors will play a role.
Old July 3, 2014, 06:28 PM   #3
Smith and Wesson

I don't use a rear bag. The only things supporting the rifle are the bi-pod and my arms.
Old July 3, 2014, 06:33 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've always used front and rear bags. But whatever lets you get a consistent sight picture and trigger pull is probably as good as any setup--as long as the groups show that you're doing it right.
Old July 3, 2014, 06:46 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

What Type of Rest for Accurate Shooting

Best is a machine rest on a concrete bench with posts in the ground.

The bench is as important as the rest. It must be rock solid. Shoot prone on the ground if you don't have a solid bench.

Front and rear bags are better than a bipod.

Just realize that any method with cause POI and velocity differences versus any other method as the gun won't be held/restrained the same.
Old July 3, 2014, 09:43 PM   #6
trigger643

I shoot prone with bipod and occasionally a monopod or some other additional support such as a balled up jacket or bag.

Old July 4, 2014, 08:26 AM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

I prefer sandbags front and rear.

BTW, learn the old fashion loop sling and shoot from the prone position. That is super stable.
Old July 4, 2014, 09:02 AM   #8
Jim243

While I have bi-pods on my rifles, I do not use them for bench rest shooting, too much bounce each time you shoot. Get a set of sand bags, they are not that expensive it will improve your groups.

Jim
Old July 4, 2014, 03:48 PM   #9
5whiskey

Quote:
While I have bi-pods on my rifles, I do not use them for bench rest shooting, too much bounce each time you shoot. Get a set of sand bags, they are not that expensive it will improve your groups.
This. Bipods are best for prone shooting. From a solid bench you will have bounce affecting your groups. Sandbags from a SOLID bench is best... with a VERY close second to shooting from the prone with bipods and support for the toe of the stock. The latter is how I do almost all of my shooting because I don't have a range with a bench. Also, I like culling the 'yote population around here and a bench obviously isn't practical for that. Taken a few from over 400 yards and one from 600 shooting from the prone (the real skill in this is that I don't use a LRF... mil-reticle only for ranging). The obvious problems with prone shooting is that it may limit your view in tall brush. But, I digress, you're asking for the best rest/position to test mechanical accuracy of the rifle. A solid bench with sandbags is good. The prone with bipods and stock toe support can be just as good with a skilled shooter. Maybe not as comfy, but just about as good.
Old July 5, 2014, 05:53 PM   #10
NHSHOOTER

I will cast my vote for home made sandbags or you can go a bit better and buy store bought like Caldwell of course that is given that you are shooting from a very sturdy bench, after that its all breath and squeeze.
Old July 8, 2014, 06:42 AM   #11
Longshot4

I believe it would be hard to beat a good machine rest at a solid bench. Although I have what I think is a Caldwell bag that is good on the bench or ground but weighs in around 20+Lb. I will test loads from the bench with machine rest but practice field positions for hunting.
Old July 8, 2014, 06:02 PM   #12
ColColt

For the bench, this...

and this...

Together they weigh about 30 pounds.
Old July 8, 2014, 10:08 PM   #13
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Have owned a Caldwell Tack Driver and a Caldwell Rock Shooting (Screw) Press with all the accessories available for it.
Didn't like either all that much. Turned blue just trying to hold my aim on occasion when using either.
Tried one of these (link) Finally found my preferred shooting rest. Place a rifle into its jaw type middle section as seen. As the bag slips into its stable Stance it also tightens around my rifle like a soft firm press. My rifles are totally stabilized now. Finally!! no need to hold my breath anymore to steady my aim. Was happy to hit a 2" circle at 100 in the past with my 270. These days its a dime size orange sticker I hit consistently at 100 thanks to this bag. To bad its manufacture doesn't sew a smiley face on their bag. It certainly gives this owner one.

http://www.dog-gone-good.com/DSCN0150600.jpg
Old July 8, 2014, 11:21 PM   #14
10-96

I've bit my tongue for a long time when it comes to these threads where bipods come up. Isn't it time somebody throws it out there that bipods are pretty much just a waste of $$ if one doesn't have a stock stiff enough for it to be of benefit instead of a hindrance?

On this forum and others, I've seen bipods on rifles that I know are the flimsy types found on Savage Axis and a few others. Maybe I shoulda said something then- dunno.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 9, 2014, 09:51 AM   #15
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

Quote:
For shooting when virtually all human error needs to be taken out

For me, to take out all human error is to take out all human contact with the rilfe in some sort of sled arraingement like a Caldwell. Cinch the thing in tight, get the reticle on your target and step away gingerly, without touching the table. There are even little gizmos that pull the trigger for you.
Old July 9, 2014, 04:39 PM   #16
5whiskey

Quote:
I've bit my tongue for a long time when it comes to these threads where bipods come up. Isn't it time somebody throws it out there that bipods are pretty much just a waste of $$ if one doesn't have a stock stiff enough for it to be of benefit instead of a hindrance?
I dunno... I kinda just assumed that everyone knew that. The fore of the stock flexing into the barrel certainly isn't going to help accuracy, but honestly I didn't think that was a suppressed secret.
Old July 9, 2014, 05:02 PM   #17
BumbleBug

When shooting from a bench, you have the best set-up when you can dry fire where the reticule is still exactly on target the same before & after the trigger is pulled. Sounds simple.

...bug