The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 16, 2006, 10:51 AM   #1
mrawesome22

Hornady scale.

I'm thinking of buying a Hornady beam scale. Anyone have any experience with one? Also, would I be better off buying a digital scale? I was looking at a Lyman XP1000, but I heard digitals are inaccurate.
Old August 16, 2006, 11:41 AM   #2
Domino

I bought a digital scale a couple months ago and returned it for a RCBS 5-0-5 mechanical/balance scale shortly after. The digital scale I had would vary by a bunch, the small inexpensive balance scale I originally had would read out at 5.5 gr, the digital one would read at everything from 4.9 to 6.5 gr for the same charge.

The thing to remember with digital scales is things like A/C units, fans, heaters, cell phones, some lights, cordless phones and radios etc can disrupt the scale's accuracy. For best accuracy you also need to let them warm up for close to 30 minutes. I didn't want to deal with that so went with the RCBS scale and I love it.

I'd go for the Hornady beam scale you're looking at.
Old August 16, 2006, 12:27 PM   #3
temmi

At the risk of repeating myself;
I have had the older RCBS "2 piece" scale & dispenser set and it was not great. It needed to warm up at least 10 min and would drift .1-.2 gr every 10 rounds or so... I got into the habit of using my check weights every 1-3 rounds.

That said the new RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Powder Scale and Dispenser Combo is GREAT.
No warm up
Fast dispensing
No drift that I can tell... (I still check every 3-5 rounds)

I love it and recommend it to any one who will listen.
Old August 16, 2006, 12:37 PM   #4
mrawesome22

Yeah, I've looked at that ChargeMaster combo and I just don't want to sink that kind of money into it. I'm really not looking for speed, I'm looking for accurate readings. All I hear about digital is bad so I think I'm going to go with the Hornady kit. It has the scale and trickler plus a funnel. Seems like a good deal. Unless someone can convince me otherwise.
Old August 16, 2006, 06:17 PM   #5
Buckythebrewer

If you wan't cheap but works well.Lee safety scaleI have enjoyed mine for years but i'll be honest Ive never used any others so I can't compare to anything.
Old August 18, 2006, 05:27 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

otherwise

RCBS 505 and an inexpensive Check Weight set.....
Old August 18, 2006, 05:54 AM   #7
silicon wolverine

I have both a 5-0-5 and lee safety scale. the 5-0-5 is in its box under my becnh. the lee is out and gets used every time. I just like it better.

SW
Old August 18, 2006, 08:38 PM   #8
Shoney

I found that the only way my RCBS digital would worked properly, was when it was placed on a rock solid desk on the basement cement floor in a room with no air movement.

When I had it in the back bedroom, where I have loaded for years, I noticed that if I leaned one way or the other, the scale varied. The tiny movement of the floor & joists was enough to throw it off. It went nuts when the force air come on or if someone walked by.

I exclusively now use it with my powder trickler for quick "close to the load measures" which I finish weighing on my RCBS 10-10 scale.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old August 19, 2006, 06:54 AM   #9
roger1shot

Checking Scale

Hey,
I haven't got any weights to check my old
RCBS scale of 30yrs.
I've been just taking known bullet weights,
and useing that as my weight to check the scale.
Where can you get the weights to check the scale at?
Old August 19, 2006, 01:55 PM   #10
snuffy

Roger, here's the lyman check weights, worth their weight in gold!

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=212586

Or the RCBS set, while more $ has a wider selection AND a forcepts for handling them.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=163721

If that Hornady scale is the one with the little wires that have to be moved to weigh powder, I would definetly reccomend against it! It's a PITA to use, slow and a mistake can be easily made in positioning the wires.

All this dissing on electronic scales could be from those that buy those el-cheapo scales I have seen advertised. My RCBS,(actually made by pact), has worked flawlessly for the 8 years I've had it. I partnered it with the pact dispensor, that too has worked well for over 4 years! With the check weights, you never have to wonder if it's weighing correctly. At first, I checked it against my 5-0-5, then sold that to a buddy I got started in reloading.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 23, 2006, 06:11 PM   #11
DaveInGA

For a beam scale, it's hard to beat the RCBS 1010. I have, thanks to reloading friends, gotten to try most of the beam scales. I own a Redding. Had I to buy over again, I would buy the RCBS 1010. It appears to be the best thought out of the manual scales.

Just my .02,

Dave