The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 24, 2005, 09:13 PM   #1
Colduglandon

Lighting at the range

Got a question on lighting. I recently began shooting in a 22 gallery league. Most of the shooters are using red dots, some like myself are still using iron sights. I noticed that in some clubs the lighting at the range is not very good especially when shooting with iron sights. Its difficult getting a good sight picture.s. Any suggestions on using a portable light at your individual station. Something that would not affect the shooters on either side. It seems that the dim lights favor the folks with the illuminated sights.
Old February 25, 2005, 03:49 PM   #2
mete

Lighting can make a big difference.I belonged to a club that had no light from the shooters position to the target and very bright lights directly on the targets .This produced a glare which strained the eyes . I then donated flourescent lights to illuminate the range and the lights on the targets were reduced - much better. To illuminate just one target you would have to have a narrow bright beam like a Surefire flashlight at the shooters position or put a light near the target.A wide beamed ,not too bright flash light ,like a LED light might help. You'd have to experiment.
Old February 25, 2005, 05:23 PM   #3
Colduglandon

Mete

Let me explain my situation better. The targets themselves are lighted prettygood with small flood lights. There is a second bank of flood lights half way down. There are flourecsent low energy bulbs behind the shooting positions. However when you step into the shooting position and put your pistol in the firing position the gun is in a dark spot. You would have to step back to an unsafe position away from the bench to have the lights shine on the gunsights. Its like shooting out of a barrel or tunnel. Therefore its difficult to focus on the front sight and maintain sight alignment, especiall in rapid and timed fire. I am looking for suggestion on a portable light that I could use in the firing position. Each position is seperated by a plywood partion on either side. Thanks for your comments.
Old March 8, 2005, 02:09 AM   #4
Hal

I had the same problem at the range where I was a member.
I used one of those battery powered closet lights and rigged it to a coat hanger that I hung up on the divider. It worked so so....but was only a buck or 2.
Old March 8, 2005, 02:53 PM   #5
G56

This is a problem that is often seen in indoor ranges, the target might be lit but there is insufficient lighting to make out the sights. It bugs me a lot, if you can't see the sights properly it really messes up your accuracy, the only real cure for it is night sights or better lighting at the shooters position.
Old March 11, 2005, 07:21 PM   #6
Colduglandon

Well I went to the range to practice the other night. I painted over the yellow testors paint on my front sight with some bright organge nail polish, and brought along one of those portable tap lights. Seemed to help a little. We'll see if it helps in the next match.

I will continue to look for a better portable light, and work with other colors on the front sight if this does not work well enough.