The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 31, 2001, 12:25 PM   #1
ABarde

New Benelli M4-HELP!!

I want the Benelli M4 tactical shotgun. It has obsoleted the M1 practical and tactical, but It seems unavailable. I have called over 10 dealers and they don't have any information to tell me.
It seems the Feds have first call on the weapons, but its been about 2 years now since Benelli has use that excuse.

My god, give me a break, how long can it take to manufacture a shotgun lot for the military and is it really fair to civilians not to have at least an allocated portion available???????

Something is not kosher about all of this mess.

DOES ANYONE HAVE SOME INFORMATION THAT I HAVENT HEARD ??????:barf:
Old August 31, 2001, 12:42 PM   #2
scouter27

Maybe the USMC isn't done issuing them yet. I really like that stock, though. It hasn't been two years since it was introduced, has it?
Old August 31, 2001, 01:05 PM   #3
ABarde

Benelli began working with the military well over 3 years ago for the spec to the M4. They delivered several weapon lots to them for proving grounds testing over 2 years ago. So they have been shipping this weapon to the military for a long time now. This year they say they are at manufacturing capacity ....ALL for the military!! Give me a break.:barf:

Their next release will be for LEO. Civilians are at the bottom of the barrell. Bad call on Benellis part.Alot of their sales of hunting weapons are to civilians.

If the police had their way, they would restrict all of us from getting this one. They are drooling for it as well. I actually wouldn't be surprised to find out that the Police lobby is putting pressure on Benelli to restrict this weapon from civilian hands.

This Shotgun is the best Shotgun on the market. Its soooo bad looking! Love the look, specs, and Stock.
I have the Eotech already purchased and ready to mount on it!

Anyone let me know if you hear anything new on the general release.
Old August 31, 2001, 01:40 PM   #4
scouter27

The M4 was obvously designed for defense/offense. It isn't a hunting gun. That is why marlin isn't offering it to civilians first. It makes sense to me. there are many other shotguns that you could buy. Maybe not as fancy, but they will get the job done.
Old August 31, 2001, 02:20 PM   #5
ABarde

Your comment is well understood.

I want the M4.
Old August 31, 2001, 05:59 PM   #6
scouter27

I get the feeling that you think I disagree with you. I don't. Right now I am trying to save enough money to get an HK UMP. I understand it's really hard to find them, so I hope some are still around when I have the money. The M4 looks like a cool shotgun, that is a good enough reason for me to want it. If you talk function, then an 870 is almost as good.
Old August 31, 2001, 09:05 PM   #7
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
It's the European "worker paradise" mindset and Italy is one of the worse. They don't get worked up about meeting consumer demand. They'll get to it when they get to it.

35 hour work weeks, 6 weeks vacation - beginning at entry level - heck, in August they just lock all the factory doors shut the economy and all go to the beach for a month, a State holiday of some kind every other week (another 20 to 30 days off), sick leave, personal days, the list goes on.

It's a wonder they get anything made. The flip side - what little product that does make it out Benelli's door is exquisite.

The only hope for them to meet demand is to set up production here in the States, likee most other European companies with large American contracts.

— Anonymous A-10 Pilot, USAF
Old September 1, 2001, 01:26 AM   #8
Spatula

The sad story for us in the US is that we might never get an M4 as an civilan. Even we do eventually, it will be totally different from the ones Marine has. The M4 is a semi-auto (1) gas operated shotgun. The current model has a telescoping stock with pistol grip (2 & 3). It holds 8+1 round (4) - a 5-rd-14-in barrel model has been planned. After the 94 ban, we can have only two of those "evil features" on any new shotgun.
FYI, some members on "HKPro.com" already have the mil-spec M4 in their closet and they have pic to proove that. Oh, forget to mention that they do not live in the States
Old September 1, 2001, 02:14 AM   #9
ABarde

m4

Ill take the M4 with pistol grip and telescoping stock. It has an 18.5" barrel (which should be legal) Im not that concerned about capacity, as you can alsways purchase an extra-length magazine tube(easier in the grey market).

Oh, and you forgot to mention that in Italy its virtually impossible to get laid off as well. If you do get laid off, they have to give you 2 years salary mandatory.

I am a French citizen as well as US so one day Ill live and work in Firenza!
Old September 2, 2001, 07:16 AM   #10
magnum_force

A guy posted pics on his M4 on HKPRO and he lives in Finland. There is no retractable stock on his M4. Civilian models will have a regular stock. Benelli should build their shotguns in the U.S.
Old September 2, 2001, 08:19 AM   #11
rocko

Quote:
m4
Ill take the M4 with pistol grip and telescoping stock. It has an 18.5" barrel (which should be legal) Im not that concerned about capacity, as you can alsways purchase an extra-length magazine tube(easier in the grey market).

Oh, and you forgot to mention that in Italy its virtually impossible to get laid off as well. If you do get laid off, they have to give you 2 years salary mandatory.

I am a French citizen as well as US so one day Ill live and work in Firenza!
Ehhh - you can't get the telescoptic stock as a civilian. The available models will most likely be PG non-telescopic stock with a 5 rd tube, and the straight stock with the full mag tube (well, most likely the 5 rd tube + extension), just like their current models. Also generally not a good idea to declare your intentions to break the law (albeit unconstitutional and stupid law) on a public forum (ie, add the mag tube extension while retaining the PG).

I'm not sure that the M4 makes the M1 obsolete - they are just two different guns. I do find it sort of strange that Benelli has sort of touted their interia recoil system as better than a gas-operated gun, yet the M4 is obviously gas operated. I guess that is what the marines wanted, though.

Rocko
Old September 4, 2001, 10:32 AM   #12
Cthulhu

Word has it that the Benelli M4 is gas operated so that it can cycle reliably with all of the various modular components the Military may wish to mount on their shotgun, like the Comp M sight, tac-lights, or nightvision/thermal-imaging scopes (silly as it sounds). Some inertia-operated M1s will choke with only a sidesaddle and tac-light added. Though it probably isn't quite as fast as the recoil-action Benelli's, it will probably be more tolerant of heavier gun weight, loads lighter than full-power OO buck shells (assuming a well engineered gas system), and, rather importantly, poor gun mounting.
I've seen many military trained shooters fire their M16/M4 based weapons with only the toe of the stock touching their shoulder, and at times only on sling tension, with the butt pad inches away from their shoulder. Not only would firing a shotgun like that be rather painful, an inertia-operated gun would probably fail to eject.
Old September 4, 2001, 10:50 PM   #13
ABarde

We shall see about the telescoping stock. I have a feeling it will be accesible