The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2011, 11:51 PM   #1
mwells72774

20ga loading blues...

can't seem to get the lee loadall II to crimp. its probably the hulls im using. Win Super X, extruded ones, but I got a ton of em for free... using federal wads. it always has one section that always stands up
Old October 12, 2011, 05:40 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm probably going to start loading 20 gauge here in the next few months to support my new SxS.

I've loaded a LOT of 12 gauge in years past, and the truth of the matter is that there are simply a lot of hulls out there that aren't worth the effort.

I've always loaded AAs in 12 gauge, and will likely continue to load AAs in 20. They crimp wonderfully.

Were you able to find a recipe using that specific hull and that specific wad? If not, stop what you're doing and find a recipe for that hull and the powder and shot charge you want and buy the corresponding wads.

Unlike metallic cartridge reloading, shotshells are a LOT more sensitive to changes in components.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 12, 2011, 06:06 AM   #3
PA-Joe

Are you using the correct starter star crimp. They make 6 and 8 star crimps.