The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 6, 2012, 01:39 PM   #1
rajbcpa

Hornady L-N-L - Do I have a bad resizing die?

I'm setting up this new AP Lock-N-Load press and I have broken two indexing pawls on this press in the last few days but I'm not sure why.

I think I have EVERY problem that is humanly possible with this Hornady press but one recurring issue is very puzzling. Once fired cases (.40) do not want to cycle through (e.g., go into) the resizing/decapping die. I have tried changing the indexing pawls by 1/8 turns on the indexing screws but this does not solve the issue. Most of the time, I have to use my fingers to guide the case into the die on Station #1. This only happens on Station #1.

I have also tried (i) cleaning the Hornady carbide die, (ii) changing the L-N-L bushing on this die, and (iii) checking the shellplate spring without a resultion. Hornady Customer Service believes it is a pawl adjustment issue but I don't think so.

Is there something wrong with the resizing die? Should I try loading a different caliber or try out the resizing die on a SS press?

Other issues with the press are too numerous to list here.
Old September 8, 2012, 10:51 AM   #2
bbqncigars

If the carbide has a fairly square edge at the bottom, any misalignment of the case can result in the case getting cut/crumpled by the die. This can be felt if you move the ram slowly. If you feel a sudden increase in resistance on the upstroke, STOP. It's probably the case hitting the edge of the die. I've had this happen with every press I own. This is one reason the Dillon carbide dies have a generous taper at the die entrance. The disadvantage of a taper is that they will not size the whole length of a straight walled case. It's a matter of trade-offs. You can put a taper into the die yourself, but it's a real PITA due to the hardness of the carbide.
Old September 8, 2012, 01:50 PM   #3
PA-Joe

Another issue might be that you have a bunch of once fired cases from a Glock. Some Glocks have an unsupported side and the cases bulge. The bulge may be too much for the die to fix.
Old September 8, 2012, 01:56 PM   #4
FlyFish

I agree with bbqncigars. You can determine if it's an indexing issue easily enough - if it's possible to rotate the shellplate very slightly by hand and feel it slip into the detents (and then the shell slides into the resizing die easily), then it's indexing and the pawl(s) need adjusting, but I doubt that's the problem. My LNL has the same problem with some calibers and dies and not others, which I also attribute to the amount of taper at the mouth of the resizing die. I've found that my RCBS dies are particularly difficult in this regard (great dies otherwise).

In my press, the problem appears related to the case retaining spring (on the outside of the shellplate) pressing on the case rim and tipping the case mouth out of alignment slightly. With the case mouth not directly below the die, it's easy for it to hang up when you raise the ram. You might try stretching the retaining spring slightly so it doesn't exert as much pressure on the case, but it would probably be a good idea to have a couple of spares on hand first - in fact, it's a good idea to have a couple spares of those springs anyway. When that doesn't work for me, I've found I've gotten pretty good at guiding the case with my fingers, but I can't say I like it.
Old September 8, 2012, 10:35 PM   #5
Crashbox

My .357 Magnum dies do this almost constantly on my LnL AP. I've learned to raise the ram and slow down just before the case enters, then if it misses I tweak the case in with my finger. It can be frustrating but I pretty much live with it.
Old September 9, 2012, 01:26 AM   #6
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I spoke with Hornady tech folk about this, and their answer seem to work.

The retaining spring that keeps the cases in place as the shell plate rotates, is very likely overly tight.

Watch the case positions as you cycle the press, and you will probably see that instead of the cases sitting up with the heads flat on the base below the shell plate, they will be cocked at a slight angle which throws them into a position where they catch the edge of the die as you raise the ram.

I streached the spring a tad and that seemed to cure the situation.

Now, as to adjustment of the pawls. A tiny amount of adjustment goes a loooong ways! If you turn the adjustment screw a 1/4 turn, it is very likely you have gone MUCH TO FAR!!

Sounds like if you have broken some of the indexing pawls you may be over adjusting and for sure need a much softer touch on the operating handle.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old September 9, 2012, 09:57 AM   #7
dunerjeff

In certain caliber(9mm is the big one) the extractor groove varies from brand to brand.I have 1 or 2 brands that if I use the #8(9mm/.38) shellplate they don't sit on the baseplate, they end up being hung by the groove and the spring tips them ,I solved this by using the #10(.40/10mm)shllplate for most of my 9mm.Since changing I haven't had the misalignment issue. I now also watch for that in all calibers.
Old September 9, 2012, 07:22 PM   #8
rajbcpa

Stretching the spring was helpful

I also switched calipers and the different sizing die does not sieze up and tear cases.
Old September 12, 2012, 09:38 PM   #9
lux8

Had some of the same stuff go on with mine

What was happing the case was going up at a slight angle it didn’t meet the die squarely and cocked a little . It seemed to be the case to me . So I took a flux brush and bent it so I could Zip tie it to the part of the casting that the case feeder would be used and adjusted to brush the case into the case holder .
Works great then I put some case sizing wax on the brush it works even better if you want I can send pic I don’t explain well
Old September 13, 2012, 04:41 PM   #10
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Try streaching out the spring just a tad!

CDOC
Old September 14, 2012, 09:50 AM   #11
rajbcpa

Sizing die alignment issue SOLVED!

I sized a case and unscrewred the die from the press and them tighted the die down. Apparently, this aligned the die with the press.. I then tightened the die down against the lock-n-load bushing and tried a few cases through the resizing die....

Now, there is no issue getting cases into the sizing die....

THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL THE HELP!

I THINK I WILL APPLY THIS TECHNICH FOR EACH CALIPER..... IT IS A GREAT IDEA!
Old September 14, 2012, 12:24 PM   #12
dunerjeff

you mean CALIBER, not caliper, ehh.