The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 21, 2010, 04:31 PM   #1
Cheapshooter

Ghost Rind sights?

This is a follow-up to my previous post about the Mossberg SPX. What is the usefulness, and advantages of ghost ring sights on a tactical shotgun?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 23, 2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Dobe

Slugs

http://www.gunsite.com/main/course-o...n/260-shotgun/

Ghost ring sights are faster for acquiring a sight picture. They are peep sights with a large opening. The eye automatically centers the post without any conscience effort. I have ghost rings on one of my shotguns. They're nice.

Last edited by Dobe; December 23, 2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old December 23, 2010, 10:52 AM   #3
rigby06

+ 1
Old December 23, 2010, 01:28 PM   #4
zippy13

Yes GRSs are tacti-cool looking, and the may be faster for acquiring a sight picture. Unless you are Mil/LE and involved in team assaults, I doubt you'll have to time to acquire a sight picture with your tactical or HD shotgun.

Think about the evolution of the "tactical" shotgun, the GRS was selected for aimed shotgun applications because Mil/LE special ops types were already experienced in the use of receiver sights on rifles -- many with AR sights that could flip between large and small aperture. So, the large aperture "ghost ring" was nothing new to them. But, shotguns with these sights are typically used in special situations where there is time to acquire a sight picture. The typical LE shotgun still has a simple bead front sight and is used in the traditional point-and-shoot without having to acquire a "rifle" sight picture. IMHO, anything more than a simple bead on a HD gun is just more stuff to get in the way. YMMV
Old December 23, 2010, 01:31 PM   #5
Dobe

Quote:
Yes GRSs are tacti-cool looking, and the may be faster for acquiring a sight picture. Unless you are Mil/LE and involved in team assaults, I doubt you'll have to time to acquire a sight picture with your tactical or HD shotgun.
I couldn't disagree more. If one can acquire a sight picture with a handgun at close range, as every instructor will and does teach, then you can do the same with a ghost ring.

Last edited by Dobe; December 23, 2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old December 23, 2010, 02:00 PM   #6
mete

Ghost rings are not only fast but accurate also. I've installed ghost rings on all my hunting buddy's rifles he loves them. I've shot all of them and have no problem getting groups that show the best that can be had with the guns.
We found the best was a 3/16" ID ring and a 1/8" square post.
Old December 23, 2010, 03:40 PM   #7
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobe
If one can acquire a sight picture with a handgun at close range, as every instructor will and does teach, then you can do the same with a ghost ring.
I didn't say you couldn't get a sight picture with GRSs, what I question is the time element. If I were covering, say a door in a tactical situation (or tracking a turkey), from a distant exterior fixed position, then for me a GRS would be an excellent choice*; but, that's not a typical HD situation.

When something goes bump in the night, I can mount a shotgun (with bead sights), and put it on target a whole lot faster than I can with my AR (akin to a shotgun with GRS) and align its sights. The GRS may work well for you; but, for me, I don't need a rear sight in a dynamic situation at close range. With around a quarter-million shot shell rounds experience, I'm confident that I can hit my target with just bead sights. You may feel more confident taking the time to align your shotgun's GRS. Neither of us is right or wrong, we'll just react differently.
*I have a lot more trigger time with peep rifle sights than I do with conventional barrel mounted rifle sights. So, for me, a GRS would feel more familiar on a shotgun than typical shotgun "rifle-style" slug sights. I think most vets would choose the familiar GI-style peep or ghost ring sights.
Old December 23, 2010, 03:47 PM   #8
Dobe

Agreed