The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 23, 2009, 09:03 PM   #1
nemo2econ

How can I test fire a Ruger LCR in the Denver, Colorado area?

My wife has become interested in firearms. After handling a Ruger LCR at a recent gunshow, and reading a review or two I found in gun mags, she is "interested" in buying one. She says that she will buy one, if it isn't too much to handle after she shoots one for about 15 minutes.

How can my wife test fire a Ruger LCR in the Denver, Colorado area?

I've called every range in the Denver area, many of which rent handguns to test fire, and not one has a Ruger LCR available for the purpose.

Any ideas would be most welcome.
Old December 27, 2009, 06:28 PM   #2
tristar viper

I'm surprised none of them have it. Here in Ohio I've been to a number of ranges that have it. Sometimes the guys who work at these ranges have guns of their own they will bring in for you to shoot, or they have friends who they can borrow a gun from. I've seen that done before.
Trust me......she shoots that LCR she will go home with it.
If you ever happen through Ohio, you can shoot mine
Old December 27, 2009, 06:48 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

1. Find some one that has one.
2. Buy several boxes of ammo.
3. Offer all extra ammo to the pistol's owner, in exchange for a putting some through it.
Old December 28, 2009, 11:00 AM   #4
LeadFistExpress

Firing Line in Aurora

The only indoor range I have been to that rents guns is the Firing Line in Aurora (http://www.firinglineonline.com/). If you have not called them I would give it a shot. They are located on Potomac, between 2nd and Alameda, very close to the Aurora Town Center. They have a nice range and lots of guns for rent, but I have never looked for the LCR.
Old December 28, 2009, 11:34 AM   #5
deanpf

Test fire Ruger LCR

You might give Rocky Mountain Shooter Supply of Ft.Collins a call:

Rocky Mountain Shooters Supply
3507 E. Mulberry St.
Fort Collins, CO 80524

Phone: (970) 221-3172
Fax: (970) 221-5133

They have an indoor range and loaner guns.
Old December 28, 2009, 05:44 PM   #6
mwmjones

Shootin Shop South

Try the Shootin Shop South
Old December 28, 2009, 06:53 PM   #7
RonC

Perhaps an alternative is to have your wife shoot a more readily available S&W 642 Airweight or similar J-frame 38 spl. The LCR is about 13.5 oz and the Airweights are a few ounces more. If she doesn't like the slight snappiness of the Airweight, she won't like the LCR. If she can handle the Airweight comfortably, she MAY like the LCR.
If I still had my 642, I'd let her shoot it. But, alas, I sold it. I found that a very light-weight revolver was comfortable to shoot with 38 spl, a bit snappy (not too bad) with 38 spl +p. Even a heavier small revolver like a Ruger SP101 snubbie was not fun with 357, but that is probably irrelevant to you.

It's likely not helpful regarding the LCR, but she could try my Ruger SP101 just to get a sense of the feel of 38 spl and 38 spl +p. Just contact me by my email address in my profile if that would be any help.

Ron
Old December 28, 2009, 07:08 PM   #8
fyimo

If the firing line in Aurora is still going (I moved 7 years ago) they have an indoor range and rent guns and also sell them. I think they are the largest gun shop in the front range.
Old December 29, 2009, 03:35 PM   #9
LeadFistExpress

The Firing Line is still going strong. I shoot there often.
Old December 30, 2009, 12:46 AM   #10
Silverado

Green Mountain Family Shooting Center rents guns at their range in Lakewood. I'm not sure what they have available, but you might give them a call if you haven't talked to them yet.

I have an LCP and am willing to share for some range time if she wants to try something in a .380 pocket-carry size. Personally, tho', I believe her first choice of the LCR is probably the right one. I haven't shot the LCR either, but I think I can go out on a limb and guess that shooting it will be a little more pleasent than the snappy LCP.

Green Mountain Guns had the LCR and a few choices in S&W "J" Frames available for sale last week. They may have very well had the Ruger SP too, I just didn't happen to see any. Their pricing is usually competitive and very good selection for an indie gun shop. My next gun is going to be 5 shot snubbie like the LCR, SP or J Frame, probably with laser.
Old December 30, 2009, 11:39 PM   #11
nemo2econ

Thanks for the good input on ranges. I called both the Firing Line in Aurora, and Green Mountain Family Shooting Center in Lakewood. Neither have an LCR available for rent.

As for the idea of finding a fellow-shooter who might allow you to put a few rounds through their LCR (say, in return for a couple of boxes of ammo or ...), I think my wife would be willing to do that. Anyone want to offer such an opportunity?
Old December 30, 2009, 11:52 PM   #12
Onward Allusion

The Taurus Ultra-Light Titanium model 85 and the S&W 642 is comparable in weight and form to the Ruger LCR. The Taurus is 15.5oz and the Smith is 15oz. You might be able to locate those as rentals. Similar to what RonC said - if your wife doesn't like something in the mid-teen ounces, she will probably not like a revolver in the low-teen ozs.

Quote:
nemo2econ
How can I test fire a Ruger LCR in the Denver, Colorado area?
Old December 31, 2009, 01:24 AM   #13
Hook686

If she held it and liked the grip, I do not see why she really needs to shoot it. I takes .38 and .38+P. I have shot .38s that shot much like a .22 magnum up to .38+Ps that bordered on .357 magnum. The .38 loading is very versatile. The LCR seems made for small hands.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old January 4, 2010, 06:08 AM   #14
nemo2econ

Thanks again for all the ideas.

We've not yet located a Ruger LCR, but we have located a Taurus Titanium Model 85 (mfg. claims weight is 15.4 oz.). Thanks for that idea Onward.

Will try to get to the range in the next few weeks and see how she likes that.

Tags
colorado , handgun rental , ruger lcr , test firing , try before buy