The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 6, 2009, 12:02 AM   #1
willbwind

Mossberg 500 12 gauge

How often should I clean/oil it?
Old November 6, 2009, 03:32 AM   #2
SCREAMIII2006

after everytime you shoot it
Old November 6, 2009, 08:54 AM   #3
Lee Lapin

When it needs cleaning and oiling.

Sounds like a smartalec remark, but it isn't intended to be. If you fall into the salt marsh with your gun, or lose the paddle on the duck boat and have to use the shotgun to paddle home, then it needs a deep cleaning- field strip plus furniture removal with everything taken care of properly.

A session at the range on a bright sunny day? Wipe the bore and chamber, wipe down exterior surfaces and call it good.

Guns mostly need a lot less oil than many of them get. It's sad to see a gun with the wrist of the stock (where it joins the receiver) several shades darker in color than the rest of the wood, because some "careful" owner put so much oil in the gun that it soaked the wood. And it's sad to see outright damage to screw slots and various small action parts from someone who thought they were "taking good care" of a gun by disassembling things they lacked the proper tools and the knowledge to take apart. Especially when the assemblies could have been cleaned just as well as a unit in hot soapy water, dried and re-lubricated.

In short, there is such a thing as a happy medium in taking care of firearms. Where that happy medium is depends on a lot of things- the area you live, climate, conditions, where and how you carry/use your firearms, even the corrosiveness of your fingerprints. But it's just as possible to do damage from overzealousness as from neglect.

hth,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old November 6, 2009, 09:24 AM   #4
starbuck125

Well said! I agree with LEE LAPIN on this, you can over care/clean any weapon just the same as not taking care of it.usually just the normal cleaning is good, unless you drop it in a mud hole or something of that nature. That"ll require a more through cleaning and tear down, if you have the proper tools & know how to do it, if ya don't , take it to somebody that does.better for you,better for the weapon.
Old November 6, 2009, 03:50 PM   #5
JerseyDrez

For me, it all depends on what purpose Im shooting it and how much.

If I take it to the indoor range and go through 40 shells, I might not clean it until after my next range trip that I will put another 40 or 50 shells through.

When I shoot clays, I go through 100-150shells and will thoroughly clean it that night.

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old November 9, 2009, 08:28 AM   #6
bapfreak

There are three times (maybe four) when you should clean any gun:

1) When you first buy it (A lot of guns come packed with some sort of metal protectant; this is a good thing, but the protectant usually doesn't double as good gun lube)

2) After every time you shoot it (At least clean the barrel every time you shoot any gun; the action should be cleaned nearly every time also if you like a well functioning smooth action)

3) At least once a month if not shot (Contrary to popular belief, guns will decay if left in a closet, truck, safe, etc for extended periods of time. The cleaning won't need to be as thorough as if you actually shot it, but you will want to at least lightly clean it and lubricate it with good gun oil/protectant (I use Breakfree CLP on everything)

4, maybe) If you drop it in the field/get it really dirty (This isn't always possible, if say you are on a long hunting trip, but every shooter should know to AT LEAST check for barrel obstructions so the barrel doesn't explode. Keeping a portable cleaning kit in a backpack is a good idea)
Old November 13, 2009, 09:31 AM   #7
Ian0351

When it's dirty.

Semper Fidelis
Old November 13, 2009, 10:58 AM   #8
zippy13

From the Mossberg Owner's Manual. If one didn't come with your gun, download by clicking here:
  • Normal use requires only that the mechanisms be free of excessive shooting residue. Very little lubrication other than a light oiling of external surfaces to prevent rust is needed.
  • If the shotgun is to be stored for a long period of time it should be thoroughly cleaned and oiled.
  • Do not plug barrel or store in a fabric lined case that will absorb lubricant from the shotgun.
  • Scrub bore and chamber with solvent and follow with cleaning patches until barrel is clean. A final pass with a lightly oiled patch will provide a protective coating. Clean and remove any deposits in the barrel extension.
  • All metal parts should be cleaned with gun solvent and lightly lubricated with gun oil. Over lubrication should be avoided. Use only lubricants specifically designed for firearms. Avoid the use of abrasives which may damage the metal finish.
  • Make sure the barrel is free of obstructions and excessive lubricant after cleaning.
  • Camo guns: Caution should be exercised to avoid exposure of camouflage pattern to strong solvents.
Old November 18, 2009, 07:05 PM   #9
SJoseph

shouldn't these be the same?

Quote:
2) After every time you shoot it (At least clean the barrel every time you shoot any gun; the action should be cleaned nearly every time also if you like a well functioning smooth action)

3) At least once a month if not shot (Contrary to popular belief, guns will decay if left in a closet, truck, safe, etc for extended periods of time. The cleaning won't need to be as thorough as if you actually shot it, but you will want to at least lightly clean it and lubricate it with good gun oil/protectant (I use Breakfree CLP on everything)

I thought these were one and the same???