The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 18, 2009, 12:22 PM   #1
wyobohunter

Standoff with Bear

I went out on an early morning Moose hunt the other day. While hiking down a fairly muddy trail I noticed that the black spruce/cottonwood thicket next to me was full of Ravens. I thought, "hmm, must be somethin' dead in there". As I walked a little farther Bear tracks started showing up. Fortunately they were the little black kind and not the big brown style. These tracks appeared to be pretty fresh. Pretty soon I came upon the poopoo and it was very fresh and full O' berries (good eatin bear). The tracks abruptly turned into the thicket directly toward all of those extremely vocal ravens. I started listening real close like and could hear crunching and munching. Because I have three black bear tags I figured I may as well try to get one filled; I back away from the thicket about fifty yards and get set up. So far the wind is in my favor so I figure my best calf in distress call should work.
After the first call I can hear movement but no Bear appears. More calls but still no Bear. I wonder if the wind swirled without my noticing or I was dealing with a very content bear that didn't feel like working for food when he was already at the buffet counter. Either way, I wasn't heading into that thick stuff alone and he wasn't coming out.
Probably a good thing I didn't get the bear because my wifes water broke two hours later

Last edited by wyobohunter; September 19, 2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old September 18, 2009, 12:34 PM   #2
spacemanspiff

So now you know, ravens and magpies both follow bears around.
Old September 18, 2009, 01:01 PM   #3
wyobohunter

I'm gonna go with the other way around
Old September 18, 2009, 01:24 PM   #4
hunter33

So you guys are telling me if their is ravens with a dead animal, chances are a bear is very close by?
Old September 18, 2009, 03:03 PM   #5
comn-cents

I missed the "Standoff" part of the story?
Old September 18, 2009, 09:15 PM   #6
BIGR

Mine is not a stand off, but a black bear attacked my deer feeder last night, tearing the metal ring and lid off of it. Feeder was about 15 feet up in the tree, but ol blacky climbed the tree and reached out and got a grip on the rope. Spilled about 50 pounds out of it. I put the lid back on and hoisted the feeder back up hoping he or she does not come back. That feeder is strictly for the squirrels, deer and turkeys. I do not hunt around it.
Old September 18, 2009, 10:31 PM   #7
jrothWA

By "Very Fresh" scat, do you mean...

it was "STEAMING"!

That's what I recall walking thru an elderberry patch in Michigan's UP back in the 70's. Then I notice the "tunnel" heading thru the bushes.

good thing I had buckshot with me to cover my self clearing the area.
Old September 19, 2009, 12:49 AM   #8
wyobohunter

Quote:
it was "STEAMING"!
yup

Quote:
I missed the "Standoff" part of the story?
"Standoff" as in stalemate. Niether side makes an offensive move because a win is not assured. I want the bear but am not willing to risk going in alone. Bear wants baby Moose but isn't willing to expose himself to check it out.
Old September 19, 2009, 12:54 AM   #9
MLeake

yes, but...

... from your description, it's entirely possible that the bear just wasn't worried about it, IE full and happy, so why bother?

In which case, it's less of a "standoff," and more of a "brushoff."

Cheers,

M
Old September 19, 2009, 08:49 AM   #10
Double Naught Spy

Yeah, based on your own assessment, the you just didn't have anything good enough to tempt the bear. There was no standoff. It just ignored you.
Old September 19, 2009, 09:11 AM   #11
wyobohunter

or maybe not

I can't possibly know what the bear was thinking. Perhaps the Bear was interested but suspicious/too nervous to come out because my calling was only marginally believable. Or maybe he got a little whiff of me in a wind swirl I didn't notice. Doesn't matter what you call it; it's still exciting to be that close to a bruin. If I weren't alone I would've gone in after him.
Old September 19, 2009, 11:28 PM   #12
stephen426

By the way... Congratulations on your new child! I sure as heck don't think my wife would let me go hunting that close to her due date.
Old September 20, 2009, 01:08 AM   #13
wyobohunter

Quote:
I sure as heck don't think my wife would let me go hunting that close to her due date.
Yeah, I had a "you have to be able to make it home within 15 minutes if I call your cell phone" clause built in to this years Moose season Needless to say I didn't venture too far from the truck.
Old September 20, 2009, 02:48 PM   #14
HiBC

Back of my mind,I have long known ,if I get hungry,Look for crows or magpies.
I'm talking real hungry....
Oh,did you check that scat for bear bells?I hear that is how you tell whether it is a grizzly or a black!!

Congrats,dad!Another job well done.Be sure and thank mom for helping out!!