The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 23, 2007, 09:35 PM   #1
williamd

BT-99 not locking fully - NEED INPUT

I shoot with a buddy who has BT-99 2 bbl set. It has had a lot of rounds through it but less than half as many as mine, and I only have one bbl. Mine has had zero defects in the 15 years since I bought it used. His is not locking properly and the 32" bbl unlocks when he fires. I cleaned and looked for suspected debris but found nothing. Compared with his 34" bbl and no visible difference. Locking bolt/lugs look okay. Open to any suggestions we can try????? I suspect this can occur in any under lug break action so maybe some experience out there?
Old September 23, 2007, 10:48 PM   #2
Ruger4570

I to have a BT-99 and a Citori 4 Barrel set. Locking up has never been a problem. I would suspect he is not getting enough purchase on the locking lug for this to happen. It simply could be that one barrel is not fitted good enough. It is a pretty simple thing to fix on a BT-99
Old September 24, 2007, 09:03 AM   #3
oletymer

I think Ruger is correct. You might cure it with a new spring for the top lever is there is only a small difference in the lugs.
Old September 24, 2007, 11:41 AM   #4
williamd

Thanx, have ordered a couple of pieces from Brownell's to 'rebuild' the lever mechanism. Have done this on O/Us and it is quite easy. And a locking 'bolt' which will be new work and fun learning.
Old September 24, 2007, 06:23 PM   #5
oletymer

If you have to do this work again get the BT99 rebuild kit from Midwest Gunworks. It has the locking lug, some rods and all the springs. It comes in a kit and is cheap.
Old September 24, 2007, 11:36 PM   #6
williamd

Kit from Midwest!

Hey, oletymer ..... THANX!!