The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 25, 2006, 07:25 PM   #1
Gary Conner

Question on Western Field Model M822 firing when loaded

I need some advice. A friend of mine has a Western Field Model M822 bolt action .22 magnum rifle.

It fires as soon as you load a round in the chamber. I understand that this gun is supposed to be the same as a Mossberg 640K model.

Any idea as to what would cause this very dangerous thing?

(I posted originally on Mr. Noldens site but after seeing this, I guess this kind of question needs to be on this site)
Old January 25, 2006, 07:53 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Generally speaking, what's wrong is a worn, altered, gummed up, or otherwise defective sear, trigger, or bolt assembly.

What's happening is, when the bolt is closed, the trigger/sear isn't cocking the bolt correctly, and it's allowing the striker to drop.

This needs a trip to the gunsmith.
Old January 25, 2006, 09:32 PM   #3
Harry Bonar

western field fires

Dear Shooter:
Yes, a good gunsmith is an O.K. idea!
But, You could do what I do sometimes. I assume (which makes an "ass" out of "U" and "me") that the old gun probably hasn't been shot so much but as Dfariswheel says, dirty, gummy and who knows what else!
Take the barrel action out of the stock, get some carburetor cleaner or gun-blaster - a couple of cans and soak this bolt and action REAL GOOD! Use a bronze bristle brush and clean all the brown dried gunk off of it and then lube lightly, put back together and with NO ammo in it try it.
If it functions normally, you're fixed it (every time - no misses)!
If not then go to a good smith as Dfariswheel says.
You won't hurt the gun by doing this but you just might have an old gummed up action and bolt -and be sure to wipe the bore clean before shooting )IF IT'S FIXED)!
Harry B.
Old January 25, 2006, 11:14 PM   #4
Gary Conner

Thanks guys. It is probably just stuck. I will clean it out first before taking it to the gunsmith.

With it stuck down in the floorboard of my friends truck hauling cows, goats, etc. and not being cleaned in about ten years, that is probably what it is.

Again, thanks for the input.
Gary