The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 25, 2005, 08:40 PM   #1
rmagill

How many non-LEOs carry a backup weapon?

I am considering the possability of purchasing a sub-compact auto or a small revolver as a back-up gunat some point in the future so I am curious how many non-LEOs carry a backup gun. If you do, what kind of primary and backup gun do you carry and how do you carry your backup gun? Thanks in advance.
Old April 25, 2005, 08:46 PM   #2
wun_8_seven

i carry a kel-tec p3at in my pocket all the time.
Old April 25, 2005, 09:04 PM   #3
ODD1

Don't know if you would consider this a back up gun.

I carry IWB. Sometimes when weather dictates I have a coat. When it is cold I button it up.

Those times a J frame or Kahr goes in my front right hand coat pocket as a second gun.

Not really back up more like quick access gun.
I would not go lower then 9mm or 380. Only becasue that is what I have, nothing against 380, I just have guns that fit the niche in a larger caliber.
Old April 26, 2005, 12:09 AM   #4
pointfiveoh

I might when I have the cash to buy one. Right now I'm working off my p226
Old April 26, 2005, 08:09 AM   #5
20cows

The little Davis 32 acp derringer is finding its way into the watch pocket of my jeans fairly often.
Old April 26, 2005, 10:41 AM   #6
ahenry

I don’t think the need is really there for a non-LEO to carry a backup gun. That’s not to suggest that non-law enforcement shouldn’t or anything, just that I think the reasons law enforcement should don’t really apply to non-law enforcement.
Old April 27, 2005, 06:16 AM   #7
Mannlicher

often carry a snubbie Smith in an ankle or pocket holster, as well as the 1911 or a Smith revolver in a belt holster.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old April 27, 2005, 07:46 AM   #8
Rojoe67

Me......

One firearm is enough for me and my limited hide pockets and such...... I must admit I am in and out of a vehicle a lot of times in a 8-10 hour working day..... I have yet to find a comfortable 100% of the time compact and hoster or carry device. I know if I was an active LEO my answer would likely be different........ Just me......To each his own and if you can do it and be comfortable go for it.... what could it hurt....?
Old April 27, 2005, 07:47 AM   #9
Greenfurniture

I've got a second and sometimes a third weapon at the ready.
Old April 27, 2005, 01:30 PM   #10
perception

As soon as money allows i will also have a bug.
Old April 27, 2005, 02:32 PM   #11
Blind Tree Frog

Not allowed to in NC for concealed carry (dunno about open though), so if I'm carrying my gun concealed I'm not carrying anything else gun wise.
Old April 27, 2005, 02:50 PM   #12
Duxman

For the added extra weight of a BUG, its much more economical to carry a spare magazine or 2.

Besides I figure if you are in a situation where you empty your primary weapon, reload, empty it again, and have to switch to your BUG: You are in deep, deep, Doo-Doo.

That BUG is not going to make that much of a difference then. Unless its an Vulcan 20mm Cannon with 10,000 rounds of ammo.
Old May 10, 2005, 02:34 AM   #13
KP345PR

Bug

When it's just me, i carry my Ruger and my XD40 subcompact as a backup. When i'm with the woman, she carries her P99. Better a backup shooter than a BUG, IMO
Old May 10, 2005, 04:53 AM   #14
STEVE M

Depends on what I'm doing, where I'm going and who I'm with. If I'm out and

about on my own, on foot (mostly) then no. If I'm with the wife (who doesn't

carry but can shoot) yes. If I'm traveling or going to be in a car a lot then

yes. An ankle holster is much easier to get to than a IWB under a shirt, under

a seatbelt.
Old May 10, 2005, 07:57 AM   #15
W Turner

I carry a jframe in my weak side front pocket opposite my IWB carry gun.

The reason? I don't remember where I read it but I remember reading that hand injuries are very common in shootings because people tend to tunnel in in the threat (weapon) first. I would hate to be involved in a self-defense shooting and my only weapon be put out of commission.

Besides, the jframe is so easy to carry, it's not like I am going out of my way.

W
Old May 10, 2005, 08:27 AM   #16
ATW525

It depends. I've taken to using Smartcarry most every day, and often if I go out shopping or what not I'll throw my Beretta on my belt. So, I might be packing two guns but it's not a common occurance (many times I leave smartcarry at home and just pack the Beretta). When I do pack two guns, though, my BUG is usually a FM High Power Detective, soon to be replaced with a P228.
Old May 10, 2005, 09:13 AM   #17
IZHUMINTER

Quote:
For the added extra weight of a BUG, its much more economical to carry a spare magazine or 2
I agree. With all the other stuff I'm carrying (cell phone, knife or two, SureFire, wallet, etc.) it's a heck of a lot easier to slip in a mag than a backup gun. Besides, I'd rather have 8 more rounds of .45 than 6 of .380.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." -Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water: A Gulf Stream Letter
Old May 10, 2005, 09:53 AM   #18
Garand Illusion

If y'all want to carry 2 or 3 guns that's fine -- I've definitely got nothing against that.

But to me ... as civilians our situation is different from a cops in uniform. I've known quite a few cops, and I've never known a cop working in civvies with a concealed weapon to carry a bug. I'm sure it happens, but I've never known it.

Most cops carry a backup gun because they have to carry their primary open. And since their job forces them to occasionally wrestle with bad guys, their biggest concern is they'll lose their primary and their backup is all they have left.

The other thing is ... since I'm not out looking for trouble, for me my one and only gun IS a backup weapon. My primary weapon is my brain, watching for problems and avoiding violence whenever possible.

Can't imagine taking the responsibility/liability of a 2nd weapon for the 1 in a million chance I'll ever even have to draw.

As for the person who had a second primary when he wore his long coat -- I can certainly understand that. I might do the same, but I don't have a coat that restrictive.
Old May 10, 2005, 01:56 PM   #19
OBIWAN

This is much like the mousegun discussion...or even the spare mag discussion

The decision is mostly about convenience and probability

What is the probablility of needing a weapon....and how inconvenient is carrying the second weapon/magazine/full-size pistol.

If you truly thought you wer going in harms way...and couldn't carry a rifle....you would likely carry a spare weapon.

But since you have not actually had to defend yourself.....you convince yourself (often incrementally) that a second weapon is not needed
Old May 10, 2005, 02:09 PM   #20
UT_Air_Assault

When I'm going to the ranch in my truck, my Sig 220 becomes my BUG and my folding stock AK-47 w/30 rounds of HPs becomes my primary
Woe be unto those who try to carjack me/steal my farm equipment.
Old May 10, 2005, 07:50 PM   #21
S.E.R.T.SGT

Sorry to say, but I am a LEO, and this would be a good question to ask of LEO as well. I can tell you on my shift, I am 1 of about 2/3 officers that carry a BUG. It boggles my mind, I was actually shocked how many officers I worked with that DO NOT carry BUGs.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lighting they
Do not go gently into that good night.

Dylan Thomas

S.E.R.T.SGT
Old May 10, 2005, 08:16 PM   #22
ATW525

I don't know... even as a non-LEO this thread has started me thinking that at the close ranges that many self defense shootings occur at, it could be a real possibility that a bad guy might decide that lunging at me and trying to wrestle my gun away is the best course of action for his survival. In which case I'd very much like having a second gun I can suprise them with, especially since at 5'10", 160 lbs I'm not a very big guy and probably wouldn't win a wrestling match for my primary.
Old May 10, 2005, 08:27 PM   #23
azrael

SERTSGT,
That doesnt surprise me one bit...

anywho...
Winter and fall carry I use 2 guns...A p-11 on the belt and a p3at/p32 in my pocket...

Summer I just use the P3AT w/spare mag and a folding knife (CRKT)

NC gets REALLY hot in the summer...P3AT is all I can conceal and not die from Dehydration

GOT GOBLIN?

"There is no love in your violence"
Kakihara (Ichi the Killer)
Old May 10, 2005, 08:33 PM   #24
Wraith

Does a Colt 1911 count as a back-up for a Colt 1911?

Never Forget 9/11.

Cold dead hands...
Old May 11, 2005, 10:39 AM   #25
alpineman

I don't carry a BUG. I do, however, have a blade at all times & spare mag when I carry.