The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 28, 2015, 02:12 PM   #1
Ejgia82

What gun should I buy next?

Hello, I recently got into shooting about 4 months ago, in part because I looked at the state the country is in and let myself get a little paranoid and in part, because well shooting is a lot of fun! (Who knew? ha) So basically I'm looking for practical home defense/range toy.

Anyway here are the guns I've managed to amass in that time

Glock 19 gen 4 9 mm (For carry)
Ruger LCP .380 (The wife's carry)
Taurus 38 Special Revolver
WASR 10 AK-47
12 Gauge
Mosin Nagant

I have both have our CCW and live in NM, so there are no restrictions as to what I am able to own. The only restriction is a budget of about $500-600.

Any suggestions? Thanks

PS. I know many consider the WASR crap and comparatively, it may be, but it was cheap and for now fit my needs. Same with the Taurus, it's the wife's and was cheap... so to clarify I am sincerely looking for advice, not a hard time for maybe not owning the greatest. Thanks
Old January 28, 2015, 02:21 PM   #2
Mosin-Marauder

10/22 comes to mind. Ruger American Aswell. Both very accurate for the cost and can be tricked out a lot (in the 10/22's case). Maybe a K-31? Very accurate for the cost and shoots a very good cartridge. I cant really think of much, only thing I need is a good Semi Auto Centrefire and a good pump action and my collection will be complete. Good choice on the Mosin, btw.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old January 28, 2015, 03:07 PM   #3
Taco-XL

You need an AR-15, every American should own one. That price range it will be hard to find one, but for $100-200 more it will be no problem. Also some kind of 45 ACP is a must, brand is your preference. And some sort of 22 LR..Rem 597, 10/22, etc.
Old January 28, 2015, 03:27 PM   #4
Sevens

No beating you up over what you have... but my suggestion may change based one what it is that you do have.

I think just about ANYONE who enjoys shooting handguns needs to own a Smith & Wesson Model 10, or some version of a Smith & Wesson K-frame .38 Special or .357 Magnum, in either a 4-inch or 6-inch barrel. And the Model 10 is the most prevalent of these and is the most available one of these. The Model 10 is often quite easily found as a former law enforcement issued service revolver and phenomenal deals can be found on these workhorse handguns. Most often, the exterior condition runs the gamut from "lightly worn" to "they dragged it behind a truck!" but at the same time, many or even most of them are in simply FANTASTIC shooting and operational condition. This is because many of them were carried a lot and shot sparingly and also often due to the fact that many of them were cared for by a paid professional armorer who's job it was to keep them in fine working condition.

A short couple of years ago, these were hitting the market for $225-$275 and in my not at all humble opinion, worth twice that. Not worth twice that in collectible or investment "value" but simply as an irrationally great shooter and a piece of work that will last generations if cared for properly.

I have a handful of K-frame Smith & Wesson revolvers and I may never stop chasing them down, but a guy with a budding collection of firearms simply MUST have one, in my opinion. A Model 10, 13, 14, 15, 19, 64, 65, 66, or 67 is a must-own in my book.

That's why I wonder exactly what your Taurus revolver is...
If it's a four inch or six inch .38 or .357, I would imagine you don't care for the idea of chasing a Smith & Wesson K-frame with so many other options. However, if it's a little snubby thing of some manner, you may be blown away at how well you can shoot a K-frame .38 and how extremely enjoyable it is to do that... because we all know how difficult and (often) unenjoyable it is to shoot little dinky snub-nosed wheelguns. A four or six-inch K-frame is nothing whatsoever like a little snubbie wheelgun. Like comparing apples to Buicks.
Old January 28, 2015, 03:28 PM   #5
Mosin-Marauder

Quote:
You need an AR-15, every American should own one.
Can I ask why? Not trying to be rude, I'm just curious to your reasoning. (Why every American should own one.)
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old January 28, 2015, 03:33 PM   #6
skizzums

Because they are nuts accurate for little money. Cheap and plentiful ammunition, and more fun to build than Legos. But I get it, I tried hard to knock on ARs until I got one and realized how great they are. Obviously won't be as accurate as a bolt gun, but if you feel a need for a semi auto rifle, its your best and most affordable choice
Old January 28, 2015, 03:50 PM   #7
Ejgia82

Here is my gun collection- attached

The thing I've figered out with handguns is that I like big guns.. I can't hit the broad side of a barn with the wives 380 and the 38 is only slightly better. I'll go see if I can find a model 10 to try... and here's a noob. question for you... being that I don't do a lot of hunting, small game or otherwise... I was debating the practicality of buying a 10/22. My main thinking is self defense or guns that I can get now, possibly not later such as the 30 rnd. AK or 15 rnd Glock...

Thanks for the suggestions more are welcome, you guys really have me considering things I hadn't. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guns1.jpg (90.5 KB, 134 views)
Old January 28, 2015, 03:54 PM   #8
Mosin-Marauder

I understand that they are very accurate, If I had a Semi Auto Fighting rifle I'd want an AK-74 over an AR. Though that's just me.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old January 28, 2015, 04:02 PM   #9
Sevens

Quote:
being that I don't do a lot of hunting, small game or otherwise... I was debating the practicality of buying a 10/22. My main thinking is self defense or guns that I can get now, possibly not later such as the 30 rnd. AK or 15 rnd Glock...
Practical use of a Ruger 10/22 or any .22LR chambered semi-auto rifle?
Fun, fun, fun, fun, FUN!
Ammo has been simply difficult to find and the price has shot up radically on that ammo, but even still, it continues to be a great "deal" compared with center fire ammo. It's heaps and gobs of fun to set up smallish object and shoot at them with .22's and it has been for more than a hundred years now. This recreational hobby has been dubbed "plinking" and it's simply informal, fun shooting. And it's relatively low noise, low-expense, nothing about it is harsh or physical and even those brand new to firearms or overly sensitive to recoil tend to enjoy it.

As to the practicality of defense guns...
I think you might also ask yourself:
"What do I have now, and what kind of situation might I need to defend?"

My short answer to your query about defense guns is that it seems to me you have it covered fairly well already. Can you cover it more/better? Sure, if you like, but short of outfitting the entire (capable) household to fend off an invasion, I think you're well outfitted already.
Old January 28, 2015, 04:55 PM   #10
Mosin-Marauder

That's a Nice Mosin!
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old January 28, 2015, 05:10 PM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

I'll chime in and say a .22 LR rifle of some kind. Either a 10/22 or a Marlin Model 60. Those are what I call the "standard issue" rifles. I think every shooter should have one or the other, or both. Ammo is a little hard to find right now, but not impossible. If you can find it, it's still considerably cheaper than 9mm. I took a look at ammoseek, and it's showing .22lr at $0.08 per round and up. The cheapest I can get store-bought 9mm is about $0.26 per round out the door. So even at ammoseek's prices (which I think are high), you can shoot 300 rounds of .22 for less than 100 rounds of 9mm.....

Besides, plinking with a .22 is more than just a long and time-honored tradition. It's a whole lot of fun! Chasing tin cans or ping-poing balls or something across the pasture is unbeatable!

If you're looking for a more practical reason to own a .22LR, I'll offer this: shooting is, in large part, a function of muscle memory. There's really no substitute for time on the trigger. If you looked at the economics above, you'll see that you can do a whole lot more training with a .22 than you can with centerfire, if you spend the same amount of money.
Old January 28, 2015, 06:05 PM   #12
357 Python

A nice Ruger Single Six Convertible (22LR and 22Magnum) would be good fun gun. For a more potent round a Ruger Blackhawk or Vaquero would do well on the range. Since you stated home defense and range use a 4 or 6 inch barrel S&W 686 would be right for the purpose. Also any of the medium frame 357 Magnums S&W put out years ago. A used model 19 or 66 would be a good choice.
Old January 28, 2015, 06:53 PM   #13
rightside

I tend to agree with the fellows on getting an older S&W revolver. Everyone should know what a really well built revolver feels like, so they can compare it to the ones being produced today. Go on, treat yourself!
Old January 28, 2015, 08:48 PM   #14
skizzums

i will disagree on a .22, to each their own, but i have no use for one. i reload 9mm for cheaper. but i do agree that a .38 wheelgun is a fantastic choice. i am not a die hard s&w shootr, i like lots of different models, any of them shooting .38spl is alot of cheap fun. it teaches you a hole different platform, and nothing is easier to shoot than a heavy wheel in s/a. plus they are generally affordable pistols. i also really love my 38/357 lever gun, although a little pricier.
Old January 28, 2015, 10:49 PM   #15
lamarw

I do like the S&W Model 10 thought and/or any of its M&P predecessor revolvers.

A side thought for consideration if you like shooting. You can start reloading your own ammo unless you are already into it.

I reload for all the firearm I own except of course for rim-fires.
Old January 28, 2015, 11:07 PM   #16
osbornk

Quote:
i will disagree on a .22, to each their own, but i have no use for one.
I guess some of us just got addicted to them when we were very young. I got one for Christmas back in 60 when I was 13. It was a J. C. Higgins single shot from Sears that cost $10.88. I traded it to my brother when I was 20 and didn't have another 22 for over 30 years. I got a used Marlin 25 magnum and it is deadly accurate. Then I got myself a Marlin model 60 because I always wanted a semi-automatic. I then got a 22 LR semi-automatic before I got a 22/22mag SSA cowboy revolver. Since I had a cowboy revolver, I had to get a Henry lever action to match it. I bought 100 22 LR two weeks ago for a nickel each and 650 this week for just under seven and a half cents each. I can't shoot my 9MM nearly that cheap even if I reload it (like my son-in-law does). I can shoot a lot with my 22s or I can shoot a larger caliber a little.
Old January 29, 2015, 12:53 AM   #17
68Caliber

S&W AR15-22

Cheap reliable trigger time with AR build options. Many who own the 10/22 (the old school .22 semi of choice) and the AR15-22 report the 10/22 now stays in the safe.

At 5-7c per shot, you just can't beat 22 for fun.
Old January 31, 2015, 08:35 PM   #18
Taco-XL

Quote:
Can I ask why? Not trying to be rude, I'm just curious to your reasoning. (Why every American should own one.)
Because its an erector set for adults, no other gun can be personalized like the AR platform, and with no gunsmithing required. Also, "The Man" doesnt want you to have one or feel that is your American right to do so. I bought my first AR as a big middle finger to those that tell me I cant. And one never knows when the next weapons ban will be slid under the rug by back-door politics.
Old February 1, 2015, 12:53 PM   #19
Baba Louie

Ejgia82,
First... welcome to TFL sir!

Second... 4 months you bought all that??? Wow. I am impressed. Nice MN.

Third...
Quote:
PS. I know many consider the WASR crap and comparatively, it may be, but it was cheap and for now fit my needs. Same with the Taurus, it's the wife's and was cheap... so to clarify I am sincerely looking for advice, not a hard time for maybe not owning the greatest. Thanks
WASR... good to go. How many magazines? How much ammo on hand? Even without reading your response, You need more of both. Same with MN ammo. Buy cheap, stack deep, get it while the gettin's good, etc.

As to Taurus, if it works, it works, don't knock it. If it didn't work, that's another story.

Do you two hunt there in NM? No lever action? You gotta fix that discrepancy.

While many here rightfully claim the Stoner design to be America's rifle, and that one should own one (one should) I cannot imagine not owning a Win 94 or a Marlin 336 variant. Or a single action wheelgun. But I grew up back in the day.

You really need to fix that omission some day. Ya know?

M1 Garand from CMP. FTW. Seriously. American. History. A hoot to shoot! Ping.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/ (save up just a little more money)

Enjoy the quest sir. No matter what you end up buying, stay safe, have fun.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old February 1, 2015, 03:16 PM   #20
22-rimfire

I'd go with a 22 rifle of some kind. If you prefer a handgun, then go with a handgun in that caliber. Choice of the rifle depends on the kind of shooting you may do. But a good less expensive plinking rifle is where I would start. The Ruger 10/22 or Marlin M60 (both semi-automatics) is a good place to start.

If you are more inclined along the lines of just punching holes or hunting say squirrels, I'd say get a Savage Mark II bolt action 22 rifle. They are all fun, but being able to rattle off 10 or more rounds quickly is just plain fun.

Another good 22 rifle is the CZ 452 Trainer (bolt action) if they are still available especially if you don't want to mount a scope on it. CZ was discontinuing them. They were accurate and very cost effective.
Old February 1, 2015, 05:08 PM   #21
Taco-XL

Ah yes. I almost forgot about the Marlin 336. I have one in 30-30 Win. Awesome gun and many thousands of deer have met their demise with that combination.
Old February 1, 2015, 07:44 PM   #22
22-rimfire

If you want a "big gun", consider a larger bore S&W or Ruger in something like 44 mag or a Glock 10mm. But you don't have a 22, which is why I suggested you consider a 22 rifle. I think you have the home defense front covered with what you have already. You mentioned that you can't hit much with the Taurus 38spl revolver..... not so sure going bigger is going to help you, but that is just my thought.
Old February 2, 2015, 09:58 AM   #23
Skans

Used Smith & Wesson 5906. It's a 3rd Generation S&W 9mm all stainless. Fun to shoot. Cheap(ish) to shoot. large capacity. Will last you a life time. Looks/feels like a "real gun". Won't cost you more than about $360, and you will be able to get most if not all of your money out of it when you want to sell it.

Tags
advice , guns , opinion