The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 2, 2013, 08:39 PM   #1
rodfac

Louisville Ky Gun Show

Went to the Louisville Gun Show today, Nat'l Gun Day, basically looking for handgun ammunition components. It's a very big show...2000+ tables or so, and the military show in the next pavilion was even bigger. Got there an hour before the gate was supposed to open, and found at least 500 guys in front of me. Big turnout. Still a ripoff for parking ($8 plus $12 for entry).

I was through the door within 15 minutes of opening, and hot-footed it back to the primers, bullets and powder guys hoping to lay in a supply of 9mm and .40 cal. bullets, small pistol primers and another 8# can of Winchester 231. Winchester Large Pistol Primers were $38/1000 and I bought a case, but there were no small pistol primers to be had....later I did find two (2) boxes of 1000 for $70 a piece.

After reminding the seller what a cherished member of the shooting community he was, I went in search of .22 lr. Not much to be had there as well, and the ones that I found were the bulk boxes of Federal 550 rounds for $50...roughly 10 cents a shot lads. The dealers said that .22 lr has supply has dried up completely for the time being. When is this madness going to end.

Hand gun prices were up to some extent, I'd guess at +10% over several months ago...but that's only a guess. There was one Ruger SR1911, the new Commander length one, for $799...not really that bad. The tables seemed full of guns but I didn't see a lot of people filling out the ATF forms however.

Powder supplies were dismal as well, some Winchester (not 231) and some Accurate and pricey at that. Also not much in the way of bullets....223 55 gr FMJ bulk buys going for $17/100...about what I'd been paying for Sierra 69 gr HPBT Match not long ago. The guy I bought the Lg Pist. caps from said he'd probably be sold out by noon...bullets, primers, everything.

Hand gun ammunition was available, aside from the .22 lr shortage and was generally about $5 higher that what it was say six months ago...bad but not catastrophic. Most calibers were available: 9 mm, .38 Spl and .357, .44's and both .45's, even .357 Sig. I found this a little encouraging; reasoning that if the factories can put out enough that the dealers aren't gouging for it, then maybe components will become more available.

A bummer of a day overall, but brightened a bit when I found a fine 1950's vintage single shot Winchester M67A in 'as-new' condition for one of my grand daughters....barby dolls hell...I want her armed to the teeth...she's got good parents, so I'm not too worried.

Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old March 2, 2013, 09:51 PM   #2
drail

They make you fill out a FORM in Kentucky??? Just kidding. Thanks for the report, it sounds about what we're seeing just to the north in Indiana. I actually remember buying primers at gun shows for $38.00 for a CASE of 5000. Yer cash ain't nothin' but trash as we used to say down in the Ozarks. "Barbie dolls - hell" I love that that line. I had so much fun teaching my neices and nephews to shoot. You could see this "mindset change" come over all of the girls. They suddenly realized that they could defend themselves as well ( or better) than any guy. The look on their faces was priceless.

Last edited by drail; March 2, 2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old March 2, 2013, 10:00 PM   #3
loltraktor1918

Yeah I went to a show here in OH. Some vendor was selling 525 rounds of .22 Long Rifle for $70. Pfft. No thanks.
Old March 2, 2013, 11:48 PM   #4
22-rimfire

The March National Gun Day show in Louisville was always the best show of the year for me when I attended frequently. Spent a lot of money there. My interest kind of petered out for me after Jeff Faintich died.