The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 29, 2012, 09:08 AM   #1
Kimio

What do you consider a good grouping at 25yrds?

A while back I managed to make it out to my local range and rented an L1A1 FAL.

It was the first time I've ever held let alone fired the rifle, the thing kicked like and mule and roared like a drunk viking but was relatively easy to handle for the most part. The biggest issue I had was from muscle fatigue, admittedly I've not shot off hand a whole lot, and I found myself towards the end of my shooting session starting to wobble as I struggled with the length and weight of the rifle.

The following picture is of the target I was shooting at. I was at an indoor range with the maximum distance being 25yrds. I'm not the greatest shot, not in the slightest, and I was shooting with open sights.

Feedback and opinions would be appreciated. Over all I think I did pretty well considering I don't fire many medium caliber rifles (Usually stick with .223 and below to avoid developing bad habits at this stage)

Here is the rifle I was shooting
Old October 29, 2012, 09:43 AM   #2
2damnold4this

The group size I would be happy with depends on several things. Firing position makes a big difference. Offhand will be more difficult than prone or from a bench. Another factor is how fast you are shooting. Rapid fire is going to open up groups but I would look for a balance of speed and accuracy.

Shooting that rifle slow from a bench or prone I would expect all the shots to be within an inch or two at 25 yards. Shooting offhand and fast, I'd be happy with a group of that stayed in the nine ring. If the group was well within the ten ring, I would think I wasn't shooting fast enough. I hope this helps
Old October 29, 2012, 09:45 AM   #3
JR_Roosa

2 inches offhand would be good at 25 yds. 1/4 inch prone or benched would also be really good from a milsurp.

The Highpower offhand target has a 7" 10 ring and is shot at 200 yds.

J.
Old October 29, 2012, 09:53 AM   #4
Woody55

When zeroing an M16 or an M4 from 25 meters, i was delighted with a group that could be covered by a quarter. That's either firing from the prone or standing in a fighting position with a sand bags for support.
Old October 29, 2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Metal god

I think I'd be OK with all shots being inside the red . if shooting while standing with no supprt and iron sights ( is this off hand ? ). Im going to the range on wed I'll try a ten shot group at 50 yards with an AR and see what I get , I'll post pics if not to embarrassing .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 29, 2012, 10:41 AM   #6
Kimio

Yes, several of the groups I marked as being off hand in the pictures, sorry for the poor quality, my celphone is old. I'll see if I can clean up some of the pictures if possible if not retake them entirely (I kept the target)
Old October 29, 2012, 01:12 PM   #7
ronl

I'd call it good shooting, especially considering a rifle you have never handled before using less than premium ammo. The FAL is certainly not known as a tack driver in any instance, and especially one you rented.
Old October 30, 2012, 03:42 PM   #8
warbirdlover

One hole if I'm shooting from a rest. Otherwise, offhand I couldn't say. I've got two tackhammers though also that will shoot cloverleaf groups at 100 yards if I'm shooting well. And I've been bench shooting for almost 50 years.
Old October 31, 2012, 03:27 PM   #9
TheBear

one hole when shooting from a bench
one or two inches standing
Old October 31, 2012, 06:41 PM   #10
rduckwor

For an FAL, those groups are fine. They aren't super accurate rifles, at best 2-4 MOA. Then accuracy was not their primary purpose. If they were minute of man at 4-600 YDS, that got it done.
Old November 1, 2012, 03:22 AM   #11
Metal god

Well went to the range like I said . Shot 10 rounds off hand with my Del-ton AR using Lake city xm193 55gr @ 50 yards . Here is my target

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 4, 2012, 03:14 AM   #12
sholling

Good shooting!

Last edited by sholling; November 4, 2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old November 4, 2012, 03:50 AM   #13
Metal god

Quote:
This is 1/2 way decent for 25m. Not great, but decent. I forget if it was 5 or 10rds
Yea I can do that with my savage MK2 FV at 50 yards using a front rest and rear bag . Im thinking you did not shoot those groups standing off hand .

Old November 4, 2012, 01:01 PM   #14
B.L.E.

Off of sand bags, one hole.

Shooting offhand, no shooting jacket or slings allowed, aperature sights, I'm happy with a score of 45 or higher on the 8-ring black six bull target at 25 yards. My score on this target was 44.
Targets 4 and 5 would have been scored 10 by NRA rules but the NMLRA goes by center of the bullet hole not the edge of the bullet hole and so they are scored a 9.
And of course, my best shot was on the practice bull, like always.

Scoring ring dimensions:
8-ring 2.7"
9-ring 1.66"
10-ring .825"
X-ring .366"

Last edited by B.L.E.; November 4, 2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old November 4, 2012, 05:06 PM   #15
Metal god

Quote:
Shooting offhand, no shooting jacket or slings allowed, aperature sights, I'm happy with a score of 45 or higher on the 8-ring black six bull target at 25 yards. My score on this target was 44.
Thats impressive . I have a 25yd range close to me . I'm going to get me some targets like that and see what I can do . I was not happy with my 50 yard target and a little embarassed to post it .

Old November 4, 2012, 09:25 PM   #16
B.L.E.

I came in second with that score, I was beat with a 44X. If one of your shots is a 10X, then at least two of your other shots have to be 8's to score 44 so I shot a better group with a lower score.

Shooting offhand matches, you begin to appreciate the shooting skills of those who can ski cross country for several kilometers and then clean a rack of 11.5 centimeter targets 50 meters away while standing on their hind legs and then ski several more kilometers and then clean a rack of 4.5 cm targets 50 meters away shooting prone.
Old November 4, 2012, 10:18 PM   #17
alex0535

Rifle: Marlin 917v
Caliber: .17 HMR
Range: 50 yards
Optics: Redfield Revolution 4-12 w/ Accu-Range reticle
Position: Prone with bi-pod.

The dime will completely cover all 4 shots.

Only modification made to this $250 rifle was replacing the trigger return spring with one taken out of a bic pen. The result was a lighter weight of pull and a trigger with a nice crisp break...
Old November 4, 2012, 10:35 PM   #18
B.L.E.

50 yards off a bench, Winchester/Miroku 1885 "low wall" single shot.
Five shots.
Old November 5, 2012, 11:05 PM   #19
sholling

Quote:
Yea I can do that with my savage MK2 FV at 50 yards using a front rest and rear bag . Im thinking you did not shoot those groups standing off hand.
Off hand at 25yds 1-1.25" would be good shooting. It takes practice but 1" is doable if your eyes are good or you have a scope.