The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 8, 2012, 08:08 PM   #1
idek

CCI Blazer .22 ammo any good?

I occasionally see posts about other types of bulk .22 ammo, but I don't seem to see a lot about the CCI Blazer ammo.

I've used the Remington gold plated stuff. (My 10/22 shoots it accurately, but the last box I got was horrible...2 misfires per 10 shots has been common (some cases are bent right out of the box, and I don't even try using those).

I've used the Federal Bulk stuff. It seems reliable, but it's not accurate in my 10/22.

I've used Winchester wildcat ammo. That's a little more reliable than the Remington stuff, but still misfired more than I'd like, and in my Buckmark, it fails to eject sometimes.

What are people's experiences with the CCI Blazer ammo?
Old February 8, 2012, 08:11 PM   #2
MTT TL

Excellent stuff, VG for 10/22.
Old February 8, 2012, 08:34 PM   #3
22-rimfire

Generally about as good as the Federal 510B. It is essentially the same stuff.
Old February 8, 2012, 08:39 PM   #4
skywag

I have found it to be the best of the cheap bulk 22 ammo.
Old February 8, 2012, 09:53 PM   #5
SteelChickenShooter

Not my experience. I admit my purchases were several years ago. But at that time I had too many flyers and it was typical 1 or 2 out of 10 would fail to fire. It was common to tell from the sound that some were weak and some were strong. This may or may not be meaningful depending on what you are trying to do with the rounds.
Old February 8, 2012, 09:58 PM   #6
overkill0084

best of the cheap stuff.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old February 8, 2012, 10:52 PM   #7
MythBuster

Yes you can and will find bad lots of it but on average it is better than most cheap ammo.
Old February 8, 2012, 11:09 PM   #8
Achilles11B

You can get bad lots with CCI, I had one box of Mini-Mags that had some sort of adhesive gunk on the rounds, only had about 20 out of 100 that were able to be functioned. On the other hand, I've been buying CCI for about 8 months and that's the first I've ever seen. It's really accurate, and because my Savage likes it, I likes it too.
Old February 9, 2012, 02:41 AM   #9
2ndtimer

I have used Blazer ammo for the past 35 years or so. While the solid point bullet isn't my first choice for shooting critters, (they deserve hollow point treatment), the Blazers are my first choice for plinking at cans, gongs or paper targets at the range. They function much more reliably than the Remington bulk ammo, and seem more reliable and accurate than the Winchester bulk ammo in my S&W M&P 15-22. For the gophers or sage rats, if you prefer, I prefer the Winchester 40 gr Power Point hollowpoints. Also the CCI Stinger and Remington Yellow Jacket ammo seems to work better than the cheaper bulk stuff. If you think .22 lr ammo is expensive, just get hooked on one in .17HMR, and start to panic when you can't find any ammo for less than $13 a box locally.
Old February 9, 2012, 12:01 PM   #10
Lemmon

Clean and Accurate. 525 Bulk 40 gr. Lead

Clean and Accurate. The bulk box of 525 40 grain lead is selling for $14.99 at Palmetto State Armory in Columbia, SC Sales tax is 7%. Come visit Columbia and help our economy while saving money. No connections with PSA except I shop there.

Lemmon
Old February 9, 2012, 01:18 PM   #11
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

You pays your money and take your chances. My first 2 bricks of Blazer were pretty good so I bought 10 more bricks, than 5 more. Last count I was still showing 4200 rounds of it in inventory, should have been 6,000 but some dang fool keeps shooting them up.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 9, 2012, 02:31 PM   #12
gremington

Good stuff so far

A friend and I have been shooting 10/22's since last fall almost every day. Since finances are meager in our retirement we have looked for the best bang for the buck. We have tried Remington (several versions, too many FTF), Winchester, several variations of Federal (all Walmart) and CCI Blazer bulk boxes. Since our interest is mostly entertainment we are not too choosy. In our experience the 36gr, copper plated hollow points from Federal group almost as good as the 40gr solid round nose from Blazer.
One time we did spring for the higher priced ammo for a test and got a couple of boxes of Federal match ammo which was on sale (~$7.00/50 rds). We found that this ammo was not any better than the bulk pack Federal ammo.
Most of our shooting is done at 25 yds from a table. One gun has been tricked out with trigger work and bedding of the barrel, the other stock out of the box. On a good day we will see 10 rds inside of a nickel at 25 yds. The stock gun shoots groups inside of a quarter. (The accuracy is directly proportional to the amount of Dr Pepper consumed beforehand.
Old February 9, 2012, 02:31 PM   #13
GaryH

Blazer ammo is a CCI product. This has been the most reliable bulk ammo I've shot. I get the fewest FTF from these, and it's as accurate, or more so, than other cheap stuff. Federal is my second favorite.
Old February 9, 2012, 07:44 PM   #14
Bamashooter

CCI Blazer is fine rimfire ammunition. Pretty much all CCI rimfire ammo is very good. The only other brand I shoot is Federal 510. I do have some winchester that I got for Christmas. It came in a cool wooden box. Ive shot a couple hundred rounds of the winchester and it shoots fine. Once its gone I will stick to my CCI and Federal 510.
Old February 9, 2012, 08:33 PM   #15
Aaron1100us

That is what I use in my P22,10/22 and Nylon 66. Never a problem and $19 for 525 rounds.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk