The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 13, 2010, 04:58 PM   #1
TomC

Making maynard tape primer?

Any ideas on making workable maynard tape primer? I think the originals were fulminate of mercury, which is probably too dangerous to work with, but anyone tried making any with black powder, etc? I imagine they could just be big caps like a cap gun.

Anyone have any info on the construction - measurements, distance between primers, thickness, materials (cloth, paper), etc?
Old May 13, 2010, 05:41 PM   #2
Hawg

It would have to be powder that's shock sensitive and bp isnt. The originals didn't work very well and it didn't take the government long to stop using them.
Old May 13, 2010, 09:29 PM   #3
TomC

What kind of powder do they use in toy caps? Heck, do they make toy caps any more? I could empty out a bunch of those.

I've done stranger things in the quest for something authentic.
Old May 14, 2010, 07:58 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

They use fulminate of mercury in the maynard tape primer. I wonder if the kiddy roll cap may be adapted to a working maynard tape primer lock? If the distance is too great, perhaps it can be shortened by punching out the explosive part and re-gluing it onto paper strips?

Those kiddy cap compound is highly corrosive. Flush with a lot of water to remove the residue.
Old May 14, 2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Hawg

Kiddy caps aren't strong enough. They're not nearly as potent as they were when I was a kid.
Old May 14, 2010, 11:14 PM   #6
CajunPowder

When I was a kid.

When I was about 6 or 7, my brother, a year older than I, taught me to set a roll of kiddie caps on a flat rock ... and hit it with a hammer!

The objective was of course to make as many of the caps on the roll explode as possible.

The great joy was having your sense of hearing return slowly ... accompanied by a high pitched ringing. Feeling the small explosion on your face was also a fun part of that.

Mom did not like it.
Old May 15, 2010, 02:37 AM   #7
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunPowder
The objective was of course to make as many of the caps on the roll explode as possible.
As I recall, there were five rolls of caps together in a single box. You broke off the individual rolls from the mass of five. Setting off an entire single roll with a hammer was just step one. Beyond a stack of three rolls, the tower-of-caps was just too unstable for a single hammer smash. Where I grew up, firecrackers were illegal, so caps were our entertainment on the Fourth of July as we waited for it to get dark enough for the community fireworks show.

Can you spell T-i-n-n-i-t-u-s?

I agree, today's toy caps are sissy quiet.
Old May 15, 2010, 11:44 AM   #8
bedbugbilly

Many, many years ago, I saw an original package of Maynard Tape Primers that a Civil War collector had come up with somewhere. I can't remember though what the dimensions, etc. were on them. When I was about 13, I had a fellow who was my "mentor" in shooting NSSA. Mind you, this is 45 years ago and about the only repro "Civil War" rifle was the Zouave. He had several originals that he used for skirmishing - one was an 1855 with the Maynard Tape Primer. I remember that we messed around trying to see if we could alter the toy caps to work, etc. and after a number of frustrating attempts, he just went back to using standard musket caps. I have a repro 1855 byt if course the Maynard primer is non-functional on it. I haven't shot NSSA for quite a while but you might go to their website and drop them an email. Perhaps there is someone in the organization who has come up with something that will work. Good luck in your efforts and I hope you'll keep us posted! Thanks!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old May 15, 2010, 06:27 PM   #9
Gaucho Gringo

Here are some members of the neighborhood gang in early 60's. The one on the right is my younger sister. I took this with an old Brownie box camera. Nowadays if kids looked like this someone would call the police.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8

Last edited by Gaucho Gringo; June 11, 2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old May 19, 2010, 09:39 AM   #10
TomC

I came across this site for making percussion caps out of pieces of soda can and toy caps:

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/open...en_sight.htm/9

This seems encouraging - I'd think it would be a lot harder to make percussion caps than tape primer.

I've come across some original maynard primers for measurements and specs, and I've ordered some toy caps. I'll let you know how I make out.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:46 AM   #11
Hawg

The caps that come in rings and strips fit #10 nipples perfectly and will stretch to fit #11 but they only set off a load about half the time.
Old May 19, 2010, 11:45 AM   #12
suzukibruce

what about ammonium triiodide crystals? isnt that what the use in those snap and pops? when i was a kid we unrolled a couple of boxes of those and filled up the nose cone of a model rocket and used a steel pipe to make a "rocket launcher" and fired it at the side of dads old shed.... it punched a hole in the side of dads metal shed the size of a soccer ball... dad was none too happy about it...lol... but we still laugh about it today...

check out this link, they tell you how to make it...
http://www.skepticfiles.org/new/195doc.htm

or...if you need impact explosive what about tannerite? just brain storming here...
Old May 19, 2010, 11:56 AM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

Years ago I passed on the chance to buy, for a VERY low price, a military package of Maynard tape primers. A small, tin pillbox with 10 rolls of primers.

I think he wanted $20 for it.

Today you can add at least one, possibly two, zeros to that.

I'm pretty sure that Maynard patented his tape primers. If so, it shouldn't be a stretch to dig up the specifications from the patent drawings.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 19, 2010, 12:18 PM   #14
TomC

lol. Ammonium triiodide sounds like it would be way too corrosive. BTW, I think if you tried a stunt like that now, the SWAT team would probably be decending from black helicopters onto you house as we speak.

Another possibility would be scraping the primer from percussion caps, or from the plastic ring caps.

Now I've got too many ideas.
Old May 19, 2010, 12:37 PM   #15
Hawg

Quote:
Another possibility would be scraping the primer from percussion caps, or from the plastic ring caps.
You'd have to at least double up on the ring caps. They're not reliable at all.
Old May 19, 2010, 12:42 PM   #16
rattletrap1970

ammonium triiodide is waaaay to sensitive. It's considered a touch explosive. A fly landing on the crystals can set it off... Which is really damn funny to see. It also stains stuff purple and is toxic.

But what about flash powder (essentially the ingredient in M80's) I believe a 70/30 mix or 600 mesh aluminum powder and Potassium Perchlorate. I remember the stuff in caps was silver, much like the filling in firecrackers and M80's
Old May 19, 2010, 12:59 PM   #17
TomC

Quote:
You'd have to at least double up on the ring caps. They're not reliable at all.
Here's a picture of an original tape primer:

Note the size of the bulges where the primer materials is. I'd do it by volume whatever amount of material would give me that appearance. If I used toy caps, then I'd put two or three between two strips of thin paper until it looked approximately like that. I've got some ideas for forming that part.

Original patent here - some detail on the manufacture:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=jJp...page&q&f=false

Last edited by TomC; May 19, 2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old May 20, 2010, 01:26 PM   #18
ofitg

Hatcher's Notebook lists this primer composition which was used by the U.S. military about 100 years ago - Sulphur 21.97%, Potassium Chlorate 47.20%, Antimony Sulphide 30.83%.
The biggest problem was that Sulphur would react with Potassium Chlorate in moist climates and eventually degrade the primers. A person could add a trace of antacid (sodium bicarbonate?) to reduce this problem.

I have made #11 caps with the Tap-O-Cap tool, using the igniter tips from "strike anywhere" kitchen matches - separate the tips from the matches with a razor blade, and glue them into the empty aluminum shells with a droplet of nail polish. If I'm not mistaken, these igniter tips are Potassium Chlorate compounds.
Old May 20, 2010, 01:59 PM   #19
Hardcase

Quote:
I have made #11 caps with the Tap-O-Cap tool, using the igniter tips from "strike anywhere" kitchen matches - separate the tips from the matches with a razor blade, and glue them into the empty aluminum shells with a droplet of nail polish. If I'm not mistaken, these igniter tips are Potassium Chlorate compounds.
I think that my eyes would be crossed after about five of those. I salute you, sir!
Old May 20, 2010, 10:29 PM   #20
TomC

Quote:
separate the tips from the matches with a razor blade,
That's interesting. Do you leave the wooden tip in the matchhead, or do you completely scrape the compound off the wood?
Old May 20, 2010, 10:56 PM   #21
ofitg

The "strike anywhere" kitchen matches have an igniter tip which is typically whitish color - this is the part I used. The rest of the match compound (darker color, wrapped around the wooden stick) will not work for this purpose.