The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 25, 2007, 09:53 AM   #1
Jkwas

Hearing Protectors

I've been looking at the Electronic hearing protectors in the gun catalogs. There are several for less than $30. I'm curious if they work and how convenient are they compared to ear plugs. Also any brand recomendations or ones to stay away from as well.
Thanks.
Old March 25, 2007, 11:00 AM   #2
OJ

I've used the Pro Ears for years and been happy with that choice - cost more than $30 but worth it. Batteries last a couple of years (used about 2 hours per week) if the on/off button isn't accidentally turned on in the range bag DAMHIK.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Last edited by OJ; March 25, 2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old March 25, 2007, 12:30 PM   #3
Double Naught Spy

If the $30 are the ones I think they are, they range in price from $19.95 on sale to $39.95. I have two pairs for guests. They work moderately well for hearing protection. They are mono, not stereo. Sound quality if nominal to poor in terms of tones. The noise abatement is absolute and fast enough, but the return to hearing is slow. For example, my Peltors will cut out the loud sound for the duration of the loud sound, but the cheap muffs have a delay that extends for about a half to one second after the sound. So they can make conversations a little more difficult. Also, they seem overly sensitive to sound and can cut out from somebody just speaking too loudly.

Given that I wear plugs with muffs, when the sound cuts out, it is difficult to hear any conversation with both plugs and muffs in place, so the delay is bothersome. Also, I think the stereo feature is a good thing. Being able to hear a sound and know what direction it originates is a good safety feature.

For the money, they aren't bad, but they aren't what I would want all the time.
Old March 25, 2007, 01:07 PM   #4
skeeter1

I got a pair from Cabela's, and I think they were ~$30. They work well enough for me. Instant clamping with a gunshot, and sound recovery in about 1 second. They're only mono sound, but that doesn't bother me. I like them better than my passive earmuffs. Batteries (2xAA) are supposed to be good for 200hrs.
Old March 26, 2007, 04:29 PM   #5
K96771

I just got the Caldwells that Midway has on sale through the end of the month. They were around 25-29. They work great.
Old March 26, 2007, 06:08 PM   #6
BigJimP

I have an expenise pair of Pro Ears and I don't like them because they pick up way too much conversation and background noise, and it's distracting.

I've gone to custom ear plugs - where a person puts the rubber stuff into your ear for 10 min and then they harden into a set of ear plugs that fit snugly into your ears. They are by far the quitest sets of plugs I've ever used. Sometimes I'll double them up - wear the plugs - and put muffs on too to really keep the background noise / BS out.
Old March 26, 2007, 06:23 PM   #7
Psalm27

Electronic Hearing Protectors

Hey Jkwas,

I have both electronic ($30 variety), non-electronic (Leightning) and ear plugs.

Differences:

- Electronic ones do work...they cut out at high decibel levels to work as regular hearing protection (this is especially funny when testing them at home and they cut out when my dog barks). So that's kind of cool. They also amplify high frequency noises.

- Unfortunately, the problem is that simply as noise reducing headphones, they don't reduce much noise. So, even if they work absolutely correctly, they are still loud.

- Since I want to hear my grandchildren talk to me (someday), I use both the Howard Leighning (NRR 31) AND disposable foam earplugs (NRR 30) at the same time. Now that I've practiced some, I can hear anything that anyone says on the pistol range...not sure how that works. Repetitive noise at firing range levels, unless everyone is using a .22 that day, is a "surefire" way to lose one's hearing, from what I've researched on hearing loss.

Hope that helps,
Mark
Old March 27, 2007, 06:43 AM   #8
Jkwas

Thanks guys,
I ordered two sets of the caldwells to try out. I'm taking some newbies to the range next week and thought they might come in handy. If not, Midway has a really good return policy.
Old March 27, 2007, 10:24 PM   #9
Dave Haven

I bought a pair of Caldwells from Midway just to see if they were any good. The sound quality isn't as good as Peltor Tactical 7S muffs, but for the price, they're quite good. I didn't return them.