The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 24, 2015, 12:49 PM   #1
saf11

CZ 75 SP-O1 and +P+ Ammo

Does anyone know whether it is okay to shoot +P+ through this pistol? I intended to order +P for defensive use, and didn't notice the other +...lol. I realized my mistake too late. I think too much of this pistol to shoot ammo through it that it's not rated for. I would really appreciate any feedback from CZ owners that may have an SP-O1.
Old February 24, 2015, 01:50 PM   #2
Neal_G.

I'm an SP-01 owner. You should be able to shoot any factory 9mm ammo in it, even +P+. The SP-01 is an all steel, full size service pistol heavy sprung for hot NATO spec ammo to begin with. However, I don't recommend using +P+ regularly in any pistol because it exceeds SAAMI specs, and pressure/power could vary widely from different manufacturers since "+P+" is a fairly open term. A box or two is not going to blow up your gun though.
Old February 24, 2015, 01:54 PM   #3
saf11

Thanks, Neal. Your reply is much appreciated. That's what I wanted to know.
Old February 24, 2015, 03:12 PM   #4
Neal_G.

No problem, but as a caveat, I would say that I personally wouldn't shoot it out of MY SP-01!

If something possibly COULD be damaged, even with a box of 25 self defense rounds, I'd rather not take the chance damaging such a fine pistol and just stick to +P rated ammo at the most.
Old February 24, 2015, 03:18 PM   #5
geetarman

I have run the NATO stuff in mine with no problem. I have not gone looking for +P+ ammo and probably would not shoot it in any of my guns.

Carpe Cerveza
Old February 24, 2015, 05:47 PM   #6
Independent George

I'll have to check my manual, but I avoid +P+ as a general rule. While +P is recognized by SAAMI, there is no upper on what +P+ actually is besides 'more than +P'. That just does not sound safe in any gun.
Old February 24, 2015, 07:58 PM   #7
marine6680

Even +p is getting less and less relevant with the modern hollowpoint designs.
Old February 25, 2015, 05:05 PM   #8
Walt Sherrill

I wonder if the Original Poster can explain the advantages of +P+ over well-known Production and +P self-defense ammo?

Has he even seen any credible performance tests of specific +P+ brands or loads?
Old February 25, 2015, 07:34 PM   #9
amd6547

"I wonder if the Original Poster can explain the advantages of +P+ over well-known Production and +P self-defense ammo?

Has he even seen any credible performance tests of specific +P+ brands or loads?..."

I've shot "well known Production..." +P+ 9mm ammo for years. Winchester Ranger 127gn. I've shot it in various 9mm's over the years, from the Browning HiPower, the Beretta 92FS, to the Glock 26 and 17.
It is my favorite 9mm load, as it has proven very accurate in each of the pistols I have shot it in. And, it is a round with a proven street record.
Old February 25, 2015, 07:44 PM   #10
AustinTX

Quote:
I wonder if the Original Poster can explain the advantages of +P+ over well-known Production and +P self-defense ammo?

Has he even seen any credible performance tests of specific +P+ brands or loads?
Well, probably no to both questions, since it looks like he ordered it by mistake.
Old February 25, 2015, 08:32 PM   #11
Walt Sherrill

I read the original post, and then promptly forgot everything I read.. DUH.

I'd chalk it up to experience... and offer it to anyone nearby for my cost.
Old February 25, 2015, 08:45 PM   #12
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd6547
I've shot "well known Production..." +P+ 9mm ammo for years. Winchester Ranger 127gn. I've shot it in various 9mm's over the years, from the Browning HiPower, the Beretta 92FS, to the Glock 26 and 17.
It is my favorite 9mm load, as it has proven very accurate in each of the pistols I have shot it in. And, it is a round with a proven street record.
The main thing I've read about THAT round is that it seems to be hard on guns (but that probably assumes a regular diet of the ammo), and has a problem with expansion when shot through denim -- several such tests are available on the web.

(Over the past year I've seen evaluations of a lot of different HP ammos that share that same trait, so it's not something unique to Ranger bullet design.)

Serious question: if other rounds penetrate 12"-13" with good expansion, what is gained by using this hotter round? Even if the Ranger 127 gr round penetrates and expands, is there that much DIFFERENCE in results?
Old February 26, 2015, 05:08 PM   #13
mbott

The LE sales company I worked for was the Winchester LE ammo distributor for Ohio. The RA9TA was not the biggest seller we had, but over the 6 years I was there, we sold quite a bit of it. In all that time, I do not remember any reports of damage that could be traced back to it. As a defensive load, I'd have absolutely no issue recommending it. As a day-in/day-out load for range work and targer shooting, there is much better ammunition available.

--
Mike