The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 8, 2013, 08:22 PM   #1
cjwils

Public displays of open carry

With all the talk about guns and gun laws recently, there have been numerous pro-gun individuals and groups that have made a point of demonstrating their legal right to open carry in some states. In my area, people who are legally engaged in open carry have appeared outside the state capitol, at city council meetings, etc. I don't question the legal right to do so under existing law, but I question the wisdom of it. I am concerned that such displays motivate anti-gun people to act, even more than before; and that some uninformed people in the apathetic middle may be frightened into joining the other side. What do you think?
Old February 8, 2013, 08:40 PM   #2
Skadoosh

I am not a fan of open carry, especially poltically motivated open carry. I feel that it is unnessassarily provacative...
Old February 8, 2013, 08:53 PM   #3
RonR6

I agree, Pennsylvania is a open carry state but it is best to keep it concealed. With all the negative attention the news media has devoted on firearms issues, now is not the time to show your firearms. Out of sight out of mind, just carry it concealed.
Old February 8, 2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Dr Big Bird PhD

Don't let their hate make you timid or feel ashamed of your way of life. Concealed carry is meant for some people, open of others. Don't judge them and their right to do something because you want to play it safe.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 8, 2013, 09:34 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

It was just such displays that forced the state of Ohio to enact a concealed carry law. Ten years ago, the ONLY legal mode of carry in Ohio was open carry -- and that was only because the Ohio Supreme Court read the Ohio Constitution and slapped down some prosecutors who tried to convict people for carrying handguns.

The Ohio citizens action group (I've forgotten the exact name -- sorry) organized a series of "carry-ins" and the result was that legislators finally recognized if they didn't want to see people carrying guns, they had to pass a law allowing people to conceal them.

Personally, I think if more fence-sitters (or those who don't even know there's a fence to be sat upon) saw more respectable citizens open carrying, it would rapidly lose its stigma. People in Arizona, for example, don't get their knickers in a twist when they see someone wearing a gun.
Old February 9, 2013, 04:38 PM   #6
hardworker

I think the open carry political rallies are a great way to make sure open carry gets banned. You have a right to open carry, not an obligation to make sure everyone knows you do.
Old February 9, 2013, 04:42 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

A right you are afraid to exercise isn't much of a right ...
Old February 10, 2013, 11:46 AM   #8
BurgerBoy

^^^What they said^^^
Self Defense Stories
Old February 10, 2013, 11:51 AM   #9
okiewita40

The only ones I have seen were at the LGS, Range or by LEO's.
Old February 10, 2013, 11:54 AM   #10
Hiker 1

I had encounters with two open-carry folks recently. One was a clean-cut, friendly guy. We had a nice conversation about his Baby Eagle. - a good OC ambassador, IMO

The 2nd guy was Tommy-tactical, with a wild-eyed glare, too-loud voice, and goofy-looking clothes. - not so good, IMO.
Old February 10, 2013, 12:02 PM   #11
AH.74

On Friday and last month at the rallies taking place at the NM state capital, there were many people OC'ing both handguns and long guns, or both at once.

These were normal, every-day people, conducting themselves respectfully, and engaging in their right to peaceful assembly.

Nothing happened, no one freaked out.

I see nothing wrong with it.
Old February 11, 2013, 04:52 PM   #12
S_Constitutionist

If you believe using a right will get it taken from you, it wasnt a right to begin with.
Old February 11, 2013, 05:30 PM   #13
hardworker

There's a difference between using a right and abusing a right. Walking down the street daring anyone to say something is flirting with the line in my opinion, and makes us look like we're looking for a fight.
Old February 11, 2013, 05:39 PM   #14
lcpiper

Well, there is a point to be taken from a rally made up of over 500 armed people and not one law is broken.....anywhere.....even remotely close.....
Old February 11, 2013, 06:09 PM   #15
RickB

I could see the value of an organized, open-carry demonstration, but random open-carry as a statement, doesn't do anyone any good.
For the armed individual, open carry is a shoot-me-first indicator, and someone who isn't a threat might feel threatened, so what's the point?
Old February 11, 2013, 07:12 PM   #16
amathis

Why do police open carry?

Ease of accessibility.
Visible show of force.
It's much more comfortable.

It's the same reason I open carry. I've had some awesome conversations with anti-gun people because of it. They couldn't believe the gun wouldn't jump off my belt and start shooting people randomly.

I live in a very liberal state with lax gun laws. If I don't do my part to educate, I am letting everyone down.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:09 PM   #17
Ted D

Thats the best part of being an American because you can.I personaly don't open carry but I don't see nothing wrong with those who choose so.As the saying goes Freedom of Choice.
Old February 12, 2013, 03:15 AM   #18
Niantician

Connecticut is open carry. All that means to me, is that I wont get arrested for printing a little or if someone sees my gun. I rarely, if ever truely open carry.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Old February 12, 2013, 04:39 AM   #19
JimmyR

I swing both ways...

Seriously, while I CC more often than not, I have no objection to OC'ing my EDC, especially when I am just putzing around my apartment complex or going to the local meijers or krogers. When I OC, it's typically for comfort- I'm not trying to be "in your face," just going about my day. I too have had some nice discussions, including one lady at the grocery store line saying she felt safer with someone nearby with a sidearm. I usually carry in a basic pancake holster, close to my side, so it doesn't stick out 4 inches from my body. It's just there...
Old February 12, 2013, 07:11 AM   #20
twins

Nothing wrong with open carry if it is legal in your area.

If others feel "uncomfortable" with it, they have the right to campaign against it.

Societal change is part of life, so if things change for better or worse for gun owners, just enjoy it while you can. But be flexible.
Old February 12, 2013, 12:47 PM   #21
S_Constitutionist

Quote:
For the armed individual, open carry is a shoot-me-first indicator, and someone who isn't a threat might feel threatened, so what's the point?
This is an emotional argument.

I believe you will be hard pressed to find a single incident in which that happened. I can show you several where lawful open carry has deterred crime, however.

I personally do not open carry, but I fully support those that do.
Old February 12, 2013, 01:48 PM   #22
BlueTrain

The police have not and do not always open carry, even those in uniform, though there is no doubt they are armed. Armed police in England carry submachine guns.
Buy War Bonds.
Old February 12, 2013, 02:00 PM   #23
dos0711

I would like concealed carry with no penalty for printing or flashing.
Old February 12, 2013, 02:19 PM   #24
lcpiper

Quote:
I would like concealed carry with no penalty for printing or flashing.
Move to Arizona.

A guy in Wisconsin was robbed and his gun stolen specifically because he was open-carrying. Exercising his right to open carry made him a target.

When I was younger and worked part-time as a security guard to supplement my meager Army income, I was moved to different posts and then they settled me into working at a liquor store. One day a dude walks in, he is holding his hand up in the air, wait, something is in his hand, what is it? Wow, it's a gun in a holster.

Yup, this dude got at least 6 steps inside before I could cognitively recognize that he had a gun held up in plain sight. I knew all the guys at the registers had guns in easy reach. Now I knew what my real job was, I was a paid for pop-up-target so they wouldn't get shot. I quit really fast.
Old February 12, 2013, 02:33 PM   #25
zincwarrior

Quote:
I could see the value of an organized, open-carry demonstration, but random open-carry as a statement, doesn't do anyone any good.
Agreed. A march/protest works for me.
Utilizing OC in the country or when sporting works for me.
The random "dude" wandering around daring a confrontation to me is the same thing as left coast treehuggers daring someone to arrest them.

EDIT: I guess I view OC like PDAs. Both are rights. Both are best kept private.

Last edited by zincwarrior; February 12, 2013 at 02:47 PM.