The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 12, 2000, 12:54 PM   #1
Old Doc

I recently tried to purchase a Baretta 390 Silver Mallard new, and was told that they have been discontinued and have been replaced by a new model. I tried to call Baretta, but didn't have a lifetime to wait to talk to a real person. Do any of you know the story on this? What is the name of the new model? Is it the same as the 390? Is it just as good?
Old February 14, 2000, 09:10 AM   #2
Bud1

Its called the 391. A bit slimmer and lighter than the 390 from what I've seen in pictures, although I have not held one in my hands.

I can't believe that your dealer can't find a 390 Silver Mallard. This is the "field gun" version of the 390, and should still be plentiful for a while. You might want to check with another dealer.

Good luck,

Bud
Old February 14, 2000, 02:45 PM   #3
johnbt

Bud1's right. I've handled two of the 391/Urika models in stores and the fore-end is much thinner, the receiver is rounded instead of squared and the pistol grip has been redesigned more along the lines of the usual Remington or Browning. I liked it so much I almost bought it on the spot, but figured I would wait for a review or two to see what else they may have changed. John
Old February 14, 2000, 06:52 PM   #4
Ned Roundtree

Ditto the others. The Beretta 391 hasn't been out that long. There should be plenty of good used 390s out there. But you can't have mine.
Old February 14, 2000, 10:41 PM   #5
MKissel

Try: http://www.joeletchenguns.com/berettan.htm

I bought the 391, and so far, so good..... only about 100 rounds, first day out.